wildwing64

Go Go Power Rangers!

107 posts in this topic

Power Rangers trailer has dropped.

Take my money. Right. :censored:ing. Now.

3 people like this

Now that trailer hits me right in the childhood.

Last night, I took the chance to watch Sicario. It's not a bad movie, but you need to be a fan of gritty thrillers to really enjoy it. Del Toro does a really good job as the hitman in that role.

2 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Power Rangers trailer has dropped.

Take my money. Right. :censored:ing. Now.

WOW...any doubts people had about the first trailer better be gone now.  And to those who cant see it as a reboot need to shut up.  It's 20 years later and we're not getting spandex and campiness.

I like their portrayal of Zordon...less Wizard of Oz and more realistic

1 person likes this

We got our first look at the Puddy Patrol, Goldar, and Megazord!! Still waiting for Bulk and Skull and hopefully a JDF cameo.

What else is there to say except Shut Up and Take My Money.

1 person likes this

I'm still not going to see it in theaters I don't think.  Power Rangers trailer looks alright, I'm sure it'll be fun, but I'd need to hear it's worth the money before I hold out for the inevitable Netflix stream.

1 person likes this

Meh. It looks like a more kid-oriented version of Pacific Rim, with more CGI gunk thrown in the audience's faces without much rhyme or reason. I do like that it can't be reverse-engineered into a Zyuranger movie, but the "gritty reboot" formula has gotten passé in recent years. I don't see "shut up and take my money," I see "studios don't want to take chances on original IP's in the action genre" (especially after Pacific Rim failed to live up to box office expectations).

1 person likes this

I'm not crazy about how they have super powers when they're not in the suits. We've seen enough superhero origin movies... I'm pretty done with that. I hope the movie is more Power Rangers and less another Spider-Man reboot or F4. I liked the new Zordon. Bryan Cranston gave an interview about the part, and Zordon's actually going to have emotions! 

1 person likes this

Morphinominal.

The scale of the Zords is screwed but who cares it looks awesome

1 person likes this

I've always thought Lost Galaxy was the best season of Power Rangers

1 person likes this

I've watched some of the new seasons with my kids.  I really like Dino Charge.  It's kind of awesome because there's always new Rangers coming in (my friends and I used to dream up exotic PR colors around the lunch table way back in late 90s), but then the reality of not wanting to pay 8 Rangers every show means that there's at least a couple that just show up when they feel like it.  Whenever I watch and the later Rangers aren't there, I imagine what's going through the "original" Rangers' heads when they're getting blown to hell like they always do at the beginning of the fight... "Kinda sucks being blown 10 feet metres in the air... sure wish the Graphite Ranger was here right now to, you know, help us out!"

2 people like this

Lost Galaxy was the point I started to lose interest as a kid, so no comment there.

Haven't seen much of Dino Charge but it looks OK. On the flip side I've heard nothing good about its second half Dino Super Charge, or the currently airing Ninja Steel.

7 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I've watched some of the new seasons with my kids.  I really like Dino Charge.  It's kind of awesome because there's always new Rangers coming in (my friends and I used to dream up exotic PR colors around the lunch table way back in late 90s), but then the reality of not wanting to pay 8 Rangers every show means that there's at least a couple that just show up when they feel like it.

To be fair, that issue might have its roots in the Sentai footage. In Kyoryuger, the extra Rangers would sometimes show up but the focus was mainly on the core six.

1 hour ago, wildwing64 said:

Lost Galaxy was the point I started to lose interest as a kid, so no comment there.

Haven't seen much of Dino Charge but it looks OK. On the flip side I've heard nothing good about its second half Dino Super Charge, or the currently airing Ninja Steel.

To be fair, that issue might have its roots in the Sentai footage. In Kyoryuger, the extra Rangers would sometimes show up but the focus was mainly on the core six.

I thought that might be the case, but the root cause is most likely the same for the Japanese. It's exciting to find a new Ranger, but not exciting to pay another full-time cast member. I don't really blame them (having aqua and purple Rangers is cool!), but it's one of those things that falls apart if you think about it too much. The Graphite Ranger is a prince from a slightly far away land. His story was that he really wanted to bond with an energem and be a Ranger (they "choose" worthy people). Then he did... and then packed up and went back home! To be fair, fighting an intergalactic war with teenagers doesn't make a lot of sense, in general.

3 people like this

I watched up until SPD, then I lost interest. Although, I did recently watch Dino Charge and it was decent for what it was.

1 person likes this

I tuned out when they got to Turbo. A little kid getting morphing powers lost me.

Then again, that was around when Saban, where my dad was an executive at the time, was bought out by Fox.

So I wanted to get in on the Power Rangers talk, but also didn't want to turn the Unpopular Opinion thread into the Power Rangers thread, so I just made one! Yay mod powers!

ANYHOW

I have a lot of nostalgia for the original show, but I actually stopped watching sooner than a lot of people. I started to zone out after the movie. I think, looking back, the loss of half of the original lineup really killed my enthusiasm. That, and I was a huge dinosaur geek at that age, so the Thunder Zords just seemed like a step down. And then the cool Green Ranger got traded out for the not so cool White Ranger. Then the aftermentioned cast changeover happened. And then they lost the Thunder Zords for what I thought were pretty lame replacements in the Ninja Zords...

I didn't even make it to Zeo, is what I'm saying.

Then I started watching Linkara's History of Power Rangers series, and that inspired me to pick up where I left off. I haven't watched every season, but I gave each season's intro episodes a chance, and I've slowly gone back to the seasons that caught my attention.

I still stand by my little kid self's opinion that Zach, Jason, and Trini > Rocky, Adam, and Aisha. Get those lamers outta here. Also the White Ranger suit doesn't bug me as much as it did when I was a kid, but Tommy bugs me even more than he did back then. I really think they should have switched to the Dairanger suits for season two at least. It would have made the changing over from the original powers to the "Thunder" powers feel more...special I guess? I donno.

#JasonIsBestRedRanger #TommyOliverSucks

Zeo was meh...I haven't seen much beyond the first few episodes.

The Turbo movie is an abomination. I didn't even make it to the series.

In Space was...ok I guess? That's the one everyone raves about, but I recognise NONE of these people. I know the cast changed over again in Turbo, and maybe In Space would feel more epic if I watched Turbo to know who these people are, but I'm not watching Turbo because it's terrible.

Lost Galaxy...now that's the stuff. I'm a fantasy and medieval lit nerd, so the idea of these powerful swords from stones granting ancient powers, and the overall knightly theme of the series, really appealed to me. The space opera stuff didn't work, and I wish they would have used the sentai footage to tell the story of ancient Rangers on Earth like they were originally going to before they got boxed into a space setting, but for what it was? This was awesome.

Considering the nostalgia that props up early MMPR in mind? This is probably my favourite series, objectively speaking.

Lightspeed bored me two episodes in. Next!

Time Force is another one where, like In Space, I don't get the hype from the fandom.

I actually watched "Forever Red" in Wild Force and then circled back to watch all of it. It's ok.

Ninja Storm lost me at "secret ninja school."

Dino Thunder didn't impress me at all, but I forced myself through it because it had a MMPR cast member and hey. Dinosaurs. Meh. #TommyOliverStillSucks

I really liked SPD, and they really showed what you can do with a limited special affects budget if you're smart about where you spend it. I dug it.

I liked Mystic Force for reasons related to Lost Galaxy, but it's just lacking something. Like the whole series was working off of a first draft because the producers spent half the budget on cocaine and scribbled something out the day before they had to have the series outline ready. And no one bothered to fine tune it.

I didn't even make it past Overdrive's theme song.

Jungle Fury lost me at "secret martial arts school."

RPM was really, really good. And knowing all of the behind the scenes stuff that went on? Yeesh. Well done on making lemonade out of lemons guys.

Samurai? Ok. I don't want to peg people into stereotypes or anything, but why is only one member of a team made out of the descendants of ancient samurai clans Asian? Look, I get it. Diversity in a team-based show is good, and Power Rangers is justifiably sensitive about the race makeup of the cast after the snafu with MMPR but come on. If you're going to stick to the sentai plots about familial duty to the samurai life style? Just go all-in.

Other than that? I actually kind of liked it. Again, for leaning on fantasy elements of destiny, sword play, and the like. It's just that every time one of them would go on about their family's samurai clan history I was going "um, pardon me?"

Megaforce is bad and everyone involved in it should feel bad. #TommyOliverRedefinesSucking

Dino Charge was really fun for what little I've seen. I still haven't watched as much of it as I'd like, but it seemed like a huge step up from Megaforce just based on what I've watched.

I haven't seen anything of Ninja Steel, but I suspect I'll be fine with it if they ignore the "secret ninja school" plot point of the last ninja-based show they did.

2 people like this

I started at least one Power Rangers-related fan fiction-type story quite some time ago, for one of my pen names on fanfiction.net, but had to put it on hiatus for reasons likely too numerous to mention, where it still seems to be, but here are my choices for one team made up of Power Rangers.  Specifically for one story or planned series called "Chrysanthemum Mystery Quest," in fact:

Chrysanthemum Mystery Quest:

Trini Kwan - Yellow / A-Squad Ranger - Lion - Leader

Tommy Oliver - Red / A-Squad Ranger - Elephant - S-in-C

Cassie Chan - Pink / A-Squad Ranger - Starfish

T.J.J. Johnson - Blue / A-Squad Ranger -Whale

Damon Henderson - Green / A-Squad Ranger - Owl

Kelsey Winslow - Black / A-Squad Ranger - Eagle

Eric Myers - Purple / A-Squad Ranger - Buffalo

Alyssa Enrilé - White / A-Squad Ranger - Bear

Waldo Brooks - Orange / A-Squad Ranger - Tiger

Ethan James - Silver / A-Squad Ranger - Wolf

Sydney Drew - Maroon / A-Squad Ranger - Panther

Jennifer Scotts - Pink Mirror / B-Squad Ranger - Crane - Leader

Leo Corbett - Red Mirror / B-Squad Ranger - Dragon - S-in-C

Tanya Sloan - Orange Mirror / B-Squad Ranger - Giraffe

Kimberly Hart - Purple Mirror / B-Squad Ranger - Pegasus

Katherine Hillard - Maroon Mirror / B-Squad Ranger - Gorilla

Daniel Delgado - Green Mirror / B-Squad Ranger - Alligator

Jack Landors - White Mirror / B-Squad Ranger - Moose

Ryan Mitchell - Silver Mirror / B-Squad Ranger - Unicorn

Tori Hanson - Blue Mirror / B-Squad Ranger - Dolphin

Kira Ford - Yellow Mirror / B-Squad Ranger - Dog

Carlos Vallerte - Black Mirror / B-Squad Ranger - Rhinoceros

I'd have to try to find my related notes and things for that thing later, to be entirely sure about what I had in mind for such a story or potential series, but f I remember correctly, this team would take the place of Mystic Force in my headcanon for Power Rangers, at the very least.  And one team member from each of the first eleven series of Power Rangers, not counting Alien Rangers, at least at first, would have been chosen for the good Ranger team, and another would be on the bad Rangers team until they were brought to the side of the heroes, et cetera.  Other Power Rangers and/or Super Sentai Warriors would eventually come together and form other teams, possibly with some mixing of people together as well.

At least one other season or series of things in that headcanon would likely feature children of various Rangers and/or Warriors on other teams, I think.  I've got at least one Power Rangers-related notes file on this computer, and likely not just the file that that excerpt is from, either, I'm sure.

Might write more about my thoughts about the Power Rangers franchise later, at the very least, I think.  Turtle Pilgrim out.

Ok so I'll admit I'm a bit of a Ranger nerd.  I was about 8 years old when the original series came out and would have to say I know more about the series than comic heroes like batman  and the Avengers.

I watched MMPR S1-3, Zeo, Turbo, and in Space...then grew up and moved on.  I came back for Forever Red, Dino Thunder and Megaforce for the throwback nostalgia.  Yeah it's corny and sucked sometimes, but it was Power Rangers.

As for the movie coming out later this month I cannot wait...this movie has been in my mind ever since the first Transformers movie came out almost 10 years ago.  If the movie is successful, there are so many storylines that could be put into future movies.  I can't wait to nerd out and be a kid again in the theater in just a few short weeks.

1 person likes this

Oh hey cool a Power Rangers thread!

12 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I have a lot of nostalgia for the original show, but I actually stopped watching sooner than a lot of people. I started to zone out after the movie. I think, looking back, the loss of half of the original lineup really killed my enthusiasm. That, and I was a huge dinosaur geek at that age, so the Thunder Zords just seemed like a step down. And then the cool Green Ranger got traded out for the not so cool White Ranger. Then the aftermentioned cast changeover happened. And then they lost the Thunder Zords for what I thought were pretty lame replacements in the Ninja Zords...

I didn't even make it to Zeo, is what I'm saying.

I still stand by my little kid self's opinion that Zach, Jason, and Trini > Rocky, Adam, and Aisha. Get those lamers outta here.

I remember being really excited for the Thunderzords as a kid, the Red Dragon was especially an awesome upgrade for the Tyrannosaurus. But going from a T-Rex to a Dragon and then to... a monkey. Now that was a major step down.

The Ninja Megazord was OK and the Shogun Megazord was cool. But I think Season 3 in general was where MMPR was losing its steam. It was beating us over the head with the ninja theme, and on top of that was the stupid "Metallic Armour" gimmick (read: exactly the same as the normal Ranger suits but shinier). I was excited for the buildup to Zeo and it felt like a much needed refresh of the franchise.

As for the replacement Rangers, I liked two out of three. But Rocky was just crap. Probably deliberately so just because Tommy the White Ranger was now the leader of the team. The Red Ranger - the mother-censoredin' Red Ranger - was reduced to a glorified background character, and that was especially evident in Power Rangers the Movie. That's embarrassing. 

The Turbo movie is an abomination. I didn't even make it to the series.

The one redeeming quality is the Megazord fight. And that was over way too quickly.

What probably didn't help Turbo the series was that Carranger was a self aware parody of its own franchise, whereas Power Rangers Turbo took itself too seriously. But there was one particularly amusing scene from the first episode: In MMPR, Tommy could command the Dragonzord with a flute. As the White Ranger, he controlled Tigerzord with his every move. In Zeo, he controlled the Red Battlezord with his freakin' mind. But in Turbo, his Zord is a car and he needs an instruction manual for it :lol:

In Space was...ok I guess? That's the one everyone raves about, but I recognise NONE of these people. I know the cast changed over again in Turbo, and maybe In Space would feel more epic if I watched Turbo to know who these people are, but I'm not watching Turbo because it's terrible.

In terms of the overall theme and aesthetics, In Space is my second favourite only to MMPR S1. But I don't remember enough about the quality of the show. The Megazords were so awesome though.

The cast changeover happened around midway through Turbo, but I actually missed that episode at the time and was left wondering who the heck these new guys were. It was as if Tommy & Co had suddenly been erased from existence and these replacement Rangers were there from the very beginning.

Missing episodes seemed to be a recurring theme for me as a kid because In Space introduced a storyline where Zordon got kidnapped, and then I somehow missed the finale and assumed this storyline was continuing into Lost Galaxy. I think at that point I was losing track and then lost interest. A shame I missed out on Lightspeed Rescue, because that looks really cool.

I actually watched "Forever Red" in Wild Force and then circled back to watch all of it. It's ok.

I happened to be in a brief nostalgia phase around the time that episode aired, and to date it remains one of my favourites in the whole series. The ending was a bit of a cop out, though.

As for Wild Force in general, the one thing that's putting me off the most is the CGI Zords. They've never looked good to me and I just can't get past them.

Megaforce is bad and everyone involved in it should feel bad. #TommyOliverRedefinesSucking

YES.

Adjectiveless Megaforce had nice suits and Zords. It was trying to emulate and homage MMPR but instead came off as a soulless remake. Super Megaforce was completely worthless. The teamup at the end is the biggest piss take though. This Super Mega Legendary reunion was hyped up for two years and lasted for all of two minutes! More time and original footage would have made it redeemable. But looking at it as is, it's easy to see why so many former actors turned it down. If you can stand subtitles, watch Gokaiger instead of this crap.

The most hilariously bad scene in Super Megaforce was the introduction of Orion the Silver Ranger. He goes into detail about his dark and troubled past. His friends and family are all dead and his home planet was destroyed. And then Pink and Yellow are like "That's too bad, let's take you shopping!"

10 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Ok so I'll admit I'm a bit of a Ranger nerd.  I was about 8 years old when the original series came out and would have to say I know more about the series than comic heroes like batman  and the Avengers.

Same here. The comic movies are great, but outside the animated shows I was never that familiar with any of the Marvel or DC characters as a kid. The Power Rangers were my superheroes.

10 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

As for the movie coming out later this month I cannot wait...this movie has been in my mind ever since the first Transformers movie came out almost 10 years ago.  If the movie is successful, there are so many storylines that could be put into future movies.  I can't wait to nerd out and be a kid again in the theater in just a few short weeks.

If you'd told me ten years ago that a big budget movie version of Power Rangers was eventually happening, I'd have laughed in your face. And now we're just over two weeks away from it. I haven't anticipated a movie this much since the first Transformers film. I hope it's a success.

EDIT: Is anyone else reading the currently ongoing MMPR comic series? It's so good.

2 people like this

Am I the only one who liked it when the Power Rangers got their asses kicked? Let's face it, Lord Zedd is quite the bad ass and why he's nowhere to be seen in this movie is beyond me...

1 person likes this