wildwing64

Go Go Power Rangers!

Recommended Posts

wildwing64    1,192
17 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Am I the only one who liked it when the Power Rangers got their asses kicked? Let's face it, Lord Zedd is quite the bad ass and why he's nowhere to be seen in this movie is beyond me...

 

Lord Zedd is awesome. But I imagine they're saving him for a sequel. Interestingly they're using him as one of the main villains in the Power Rangers/Justice League crossover comics.

 

Anyhow, I think Rita is fine for the first movie. It's basically an expanded remake of the first episode after all. And this version of Rita is a hell of a lot more intimidating and active than either Rita or Zedd were in the show. If we're getting a sequel, then I can't wait to see what they do with Zedd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seadragon76    311

A Power Rangers/Justice League crossover? Ooh... Lord Zedd and Lex Luthor on the same evil team...

 

*Cue the *MOTHER OF GOD* meme*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SFGiants58    2,075

 

You are all missing out by not watching Super Sentai, especially shows like Maskman (1987), Jetman (1991), Kakuranger (1994 - source for MMPR Season 3), Gingaman (1998 - source for Lost Galaxy), and Abaranger (2003 - source for Dino Thunder). Don't dismiss Sentai simply because you didn't like Zyuranger.

 

Kakuranger in particularly is a fantastic ninja-themed show, with some funky quirkiness (as seen in the video above), plenty of Japanese mythology, and an engaging plot and characters. It's also available on Region 1 DVD, with English subtitles. My other recommendations, while not officially released outside of Japan, have complete high-quality fansubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
burgundy    543

Like with most people, MMPR is where it started for me. Zach is the best ranger ever, and Tommy can go :censored: himself. I actually liked Adam too, but he didn't get to shine until Zeo. I really liked Zeo. Maybe because it was something new after that goofy and tired 3rd season, but I still have a soft spot for it. Story wise, I'll never understand why they put the Zeo powers in storage for those :censored:ty turbo ones. God Turbo sucked. It really killed my enthusiasm for the Power Rangers. I kinda watched In Space, but Turbo had soured me too much, and I had drifted away by Lost Galaxy (which is a shame, looking back at it. The death of a ranger, and a redeemed villain from the previous season as the replacement? That's pretty cool.) I've tried to watch at least one episode of every season, mostly for nostalgia's sake, and I watched quite a bit of Dino Thunder because of it's connection to MMPR, even if it was Tommy. I'd like to check out more of RPM, since it has an interesting premise (and Rose McIver, who's great in iZombie). The current Sentai, Kyuranger, looks crazy, starting with nine Rangers, and thay all have very individualized suits. It'll be interesting to see what Power Rangers does with it.

 

And Lord Zedd is amazing. Screw the green ranger, I can't wait to see how they'll adapt Zedd for the sequel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wildwing64    1,192
59 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

A Power Rangers/Justice League crossover? Ooh... Lord Zedd and Lex Luthor on the same evil team...

 

It's actually Brainiac they went with. I know sh!t about the character but the teamup seems to work well. In general the crossover has sorta just been OK so far.

 

51 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

You are all missing out by not watching Super Sentai, especially shows like Maskman (1987), Jetman (1991), Kakuranger (1994 - source for MMPR Season 3), Gingaman (1998 - source for Lost Galaxy), and Abaranger (2003 - source for Dino Thunder). Don't dismiss Sentai simply because you didn't like Zyuranger.

 

I loved Zyuranger. It was weird seeing the familiar suits, Zords, and villains in a completely different context but that was part of the fun. It had its fair share of problems like the kid-of-the-day format, but also had a lot of ideas I really liked. Daizyujin - the Megazord - being a God, for one thing :D

 

Since then I've watched the entirety of Gokaiger, Dairanger, Kyoryuger, ToQger, half of Ninninger, and the first few episodes of Jetman, Kakuranger, Megaranger, Dekaranger, Goseiger and Zyuohger. Needless to say I have a lot of catching up to do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about Trini Kwan?  She was pretty cool, and I liked her, at least to a degree.  Too bad her chief portrayer got killed in that accident just before 9/11, as well.  And I don't think it was racist either to put Trini in Yellow or Zack in black, for example.

 

In fact, it's impossible for any human being to be racist, unless they hate all other humans besides themselves, because of the simple facts being that we all have the same basic genes, no matter our skin tones or colors, and unless we have certain medical or genetic conditions, we all bleed red, in terms of our blood's basic color.  Not to mention, we are ALL part of the SAME human race, no matter what our skin tones or colors may each be in our respective cases for our own mortal lives.  The ONE and the ONLY human race, in my humble view, that is.

 

That being said, however, it is not at all impossible for people to be xenophobic or biased unfairly against those from other ethnic, social, cultural, or ideological backgrounds, for instance, I think.  And that unfortunately is currently the case in many places all over this country and the world, folks, sorry to say, no matter what people do or do not believe anywhere at all in this world and Universe that I personally think that God created so many years ago out of nothingness.

 

That is all for now, I think, folks.  Turtle Pilgrim out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-Akronite-    146

I really loved the show when I could catch it as a kid. I grew up around the time the movie came out and watched that a ton, but the show was always on really early as I remember. It was tough living in the day when you had to be at a TV at a specific time to catch a show. I never was all that interested in various new series, I just loved the aesthetic of the original. And I much preferred the dinosaurs, along with the Green Ranger, to any future iterations.

 

So I'm kinda picky because the original series has a nostalgia factor for me and also is pretty hilarious to look back on. The camp is over the top and it's a great blend of Saved By The Bell with a superhero sci-fi show. If they could make a movie to recapture this, I'd be on board. As it is, this movie seems pretty paint by numbers when it comes to reboots and remakes, so I'm not interested. Let me make it clear though, they aren't making this movie for me, so it's fine that they are doing something else with it and I don't hold anyone's joy against them. This just barely has any connection to my childhood. I'm not going gaga for nostalgia or begging anyone to take my money, it feels like they are taking some basic concepts from the series and making something totally new, which, again, is fine.

 

THINGS I LIKE:

-they kept the original colors/animals it seems

-Bryan Cranston and Bill Hader as Zordon and Alpha (although these are basically voice parts that could have gone to original actors? eh, whatever)

-less problematic with their diverse cast

-EDIT: ALSO based on what I've seen the action seems big and will likely be an upgrade from the early CG of the original movie :lol:

 

THINGS I DON'T LIKE:

-design: all the suits and Zords look over-designed to the point of being indiscernable; it would be way cooler if I could tell that robot was a T-Rex; Rita Repulsa is hot now; Goldar is way too gold for no reason; a simpler look closer to the original series is what I was hoping for (an update more akin to the new Star Trek movies)

-Rita: speaking of Rita I have mixed feelings about Elizabeth Banks in general but the casting confuses me

-angst: while I'm sure they'll have comic relief, the movie seems based around being dark and teen angsty rather than being camp or fun; oh well... TEENAGERS WITH ATTITUDE

-powers: the fact that they have powers outside of the suits means that we have to watch a "discover their powers" scene as shown in the trailer which will feel like every other superhero origin movie; it also means they will have an excuse if they want to do more big action scenes without covering the faces of their stars (it's like Captain America and Thor, PUT THE :censored:ING HELMET ON); also eliminates the fun of this group of teenage friends being really into martial arts outside of Power Ranging, which is hilarious, because now they don't need a reason to train if they're gifted powers

 

I discovered by rewatching a couple episodes on Netflix that I just get :censored:ing hype when they morph. Everybody stand in formation and state your zord and BOOM you're in a suit fighting bad guys. Then after a couple minutes of battle we need the zords and here they :censored:ing come! Based on the trailers the morphing and the zords seem less fun.

 

I guess I'll find out when it's streaming.

 

PS: I probably sound like a cranky funless :censored: but I'll re-iterate that the choices they've made just don't suit me, I'm not gonna get angry or attack them for destroying my childhood, they're just trying to make money by making a fun thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wildwing64    1,192
23 minutes ago, Turtle Pilgrim said:

What about Trini Kwan?  She was pretty cool, and I liked her, at least to a degree.  Too bad her chief portrayer got killed in that accident just before 9/11, as well.  And I don't think it was racist either to put Trini in Yellow or Zack in black, for example.

 

Trini was my childhood crush :(

 

I also don't believe the casting was racist. I simply never made the connection as a kid. In fact Walter Jones (Zack) has gone on record to say that he specifically went for that role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bosrs1    648
On 3/4/2017 at 7:05 PM, DNAsports said:

I've always thought Lost Galaxy was the best season of Power Rangers

 

I was always partial to "In Space". The uniforms were clean and much more functional than most and the show had a great resolution wrapping up basically the entire arc from the first episode of MMPR to the end of In Space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstroBull21    568
7 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

 

Lord Zedd is awesome. But I imagine they're saving him for a sequel. Interestingly they're using him as one of the main villains in the Power Rangers/Justice League crossover comics.

 

Anyhow, I think Rita is fine for the first movie. It's basically an expanded remake of the first episode after all. And this version of Rita is a hell of a lot more intimidating and active than either Rita or Zedd were in the show. If we're getting a sequel, then I can't wait to see what they do with Zedd.

Here's my theory on how future movies can go....

 

- Movie 1 (2017) is Rita showing she was the original green ranger, but the movie has a teaser showing a teaser of Tommy.

- Movie 2 is the Green with Evil movie (Green Ranger v. Rangers).  Lord Zedd teaser at end.

- Movie 3 is when Zedd arrives, Green Ranger (who turned good at end of Movie 2) loses powers, teaser of White ranger power

- Movie 4 is Tommy getting new powers and new zords.  Zedd Still around? Zeo Quest (since apparently the Zeo crystal is part of the movie mythos?

 

See what I mean you can make a crap load of movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstroBull21    568
5 hours ago, burgundy said:

And Lord Zedd is amazing. Screw the green ranger, I can't wait to see how they'll adapt Zedd for the sequel.

Goldar and Zedd freaked me out as a kid...

 

Im kinda hoping Goldar gets a voice in the movie and its Kerrigan Mahan from the original series.  He IS Goldar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seadragon76    311
6 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

 

It's actually Brainiac they went with. I know sh!t about the character but the teamup seems to work well. In general the crossover has sorta just been OK so far.

 

Brainiac? That's even better!! His brain and Zedd's magic is two parts of the Ultimate Villain (Alongside Gaston's cockiness, Doctor Doom's metal body and knowledge of science/magic AND the ability to kick your ass a la Geese Howard)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
habsfan1    1,348

I never watched any of the series beyond MMPR & the Turbo movie. I've heard that several of the newer incarnations evolved beyond the standard monster-of-the-day formula and added some deeper storylines and acting. That would be a plus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DNAsports    541

It amazes me that I've never really seen any good thoughts about the Alien Rangers. Which is good, because it was pure :censored:.

 

7 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

 

Trini was my childhood crush :(

 

I also don't believe the casting was racist. I simply never made the connection as a kid. In fact Walter Jones (Zack) has gone on record to say that he specifically went for that role.

I'm sure most MMPR fans know this, but he only has 4 fingers on one hand (I forget which one) and there's actually a few scenes in episodes where you can see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cosmic    2,556
14 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

As for Wild Force in general, the one thing that's putting me off the most is the CGI Zords. They've never looked good to me and I just can't get past them.

Yeah, it's a bummer, especially because it's early/bad CGI.  The conceit of those zords is too cool to waste on bad CGI.  I'm not an expert, but it might be the first time they did the "crapload of zords" thing?  You can swap out arms and even make whole different megazords for different situations.  The toys were actually pretty cool, too; I sort of accidentally bought some for my son one year.  They're nice and sturdy feeling, and the transformation I thought was well done.  But the TV show zords look like garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IF you had to choose one Ranger for a hero-side team and one for a villain-side team from each of the first 11 Power Rangers seasons, up to the end of SPD, and not counting Mystic Force Rangers on the team, who would you each perhaps pick, what would be your primary team theme or themes, your primary theme or themes for the related mecha/Zords, and mentors/big bosses for either team?  You've seen two teams of eleven Rangers apiece from me here now, and I'd like to see what your respective Ranger teams would be like, et cetera.

 

Furthermore, suppose that all team members on either team are reasonably close together in ages, with no more than a five-year or so gap in ages between the youngest team member and the oldest for any team you might pick.  And if you paired them up in a boyfriend/girlfriend-type sense, if not as husbands to the women and as wives to the men, how might you each pair them up, perhaps?

 

As for me, I picked the following definite eventual pairings, at least, for starters:

 

Trini Kwan / Ethan James

Sydney Drew / Tommy Oliver

Alyssa Enrilé / Damon Henderson

Cassie Chan / Eric Myers

Kelsey Winslow / T.J.J. Johnson

Meagan Bergland (Civilian) / Waldo Brooks

****

Tanya Sloan / Jack Landors

Kimberly Hart / Daniel Delgado

Katherine Hillard / Nolan Bergland (Civilian)

Jennifer Scotts / Ryan Mitchell

Tori Hanson / Leo Corbett

Kira Ford / Carlos Vallerte

 

Your picks would most likely vary, of course.  But those are mine, at least for Chrysanthemum Mystery Quest-related stories, I believe.

 

That is enough to say for now, I think, at least.  Turtle Pilgrim out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HedleyLamarr    1,387

I don't remember what season it was, but I started to tune out the Power Rangers once that White Ranger got on board.  Can't believe it's lasted all these years, and now it's making a bit of a return to the main stage.

 

Plus, what Power Rangers fan didn't like Amy Jo Johnson?  Just found out she's on 46, and she's still a knockout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the admiral    10,664
13 hours ago, Turtle Pilgrim said:

In fact, it's impossible for any human being to be racist, unless they hate all other humans besides themselves, because of the simple facts being that we all have the same basic genes, no matter our skin tones or colors, and unless we have certain medical or genetic conditions, we all bleed red, in terms of our blood's basic color.  Not to mention, we are ALL part of the SAME human race, no matter what our skin tones or colors may each be in our respective cases for our own mortal lives.  The ONE and the ONLY human race, in my humble view, that is.

 

That being said, however, it is not at all impossible for people to be xenophobic or biased unfairly against those from other ethnic, social, cultural, or ideological backgrounds, for instance, I think.  And that unfortunately is currently the case in many places all over this country and the world, folks, sorry to say, no matter what people do or do not believe anywhere at all in this world and Universe that I personally think that God created so many years ago out of nothingness.

 

A young Matthew McConaughey writes his term paper at lunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chawls    476

 I can't believe we're two pages into a Power Rangers thread and I'm just now seeing it. 

 

As essentially a life long Power Rangers fan (it debuted when I was four), I find it a bit offputting to see the amount of faux nostalgia that many people have for it. 

 

 That said, if you're looking for the best series of the franchise, I would have to suggest In Space, Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force, and RPM. Specifically with Lightspeed, I really liked their relatively realistic, technology-based approach. With RPM, I loved that they attempted to explain some of the sillier clichés of the franchise; it had a great sense of self-awareness and the writing was arguably the darkest of all the series.  Definitely highly recommend it. 

 

 Also, who is everyone's favorite individual ranger? Mine is the Silver Space Ranger.

 

IMG_6162.JPG

 
IIRC, he's the most powerful ranger in the universe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bosrs1    648
1 hour ago, Chawls said:

 I can't believe we're two pages into a Power Rangers thread and I'm just now seeing it. 

 

As essentially a life long Power Rangers fan (it debuted when I was four), I find it a bit offputting to see the amount of faux nostalgia that many people have for it. 

 

 That said, if you're looking for the best series of the franchise, I would have to suggest In Space, Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force, and RPM. Specifically with Lightspeed, I really liked their relatively realistic, technology-based approach. With RPM, I loved that they attempted to explain some of the sillier clichés of the franchise; it had a great sense of self-awareness and the writing was arguably the darkest of all the series.  Definitely highly recommend it. 

 

 Also, who is everyone's favorite individual ranger? Mine is the Silver Space Ranger.

 

IMG_6162.JPG

 
IIRC, he's the most powerful ranger in the universe. 

 

Reminds me of another reason I was a fan of In Space. Unlike the 3 shows that came before it, MMPR, Zeo, Turbo, the Space Rangers did not lose their powers at the conclusion of the series, pass them on, or retire in any way. They were still out there floating around kicking evil backside. Something about that appealed to me. Which of course also led to the first, previous team pair up when they showed up on Lost Galaxy. But unlike some of the similar style crossovers that followed, it made much more sense that they'd happen to be out and about crossing paths with the Galaxy Rangers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now