wildwing64

Go Go Power Rangers!

Yippy    107

I wasn't alive when the original came out but this looks like a lot of fun. I would've definitely been pink ranger for Halloween. 

habsfan1    1,241
20 minutes ago, Yippy said:

I would've definitely been pink ranger for Halloween. 

I didn't even realize you're a female user.

Ice_Cap    7,426
On 2017-03-07 at 10:37 AM, burgundy said:

Like with most people, MMPR is where it started for me. Zach is the best ranger ever, and Tommy can go :censored: himself.

"Tommy Oliver Can Go :censored: Himself: A Power Rangers Thread" was a working title :D

3 hours ago, Chawls said:

Also, who is everyone's favorite individual ranger?

There are a few I like.

Jason, the first Mighty Morphin Red Ranger has to top my list. Though I have a soft spot for all of the original five.

Leo, the Lost Galaxy Red Ranger is up there too. Though I need to give Saban a slow clap for the name choice. His Zord is a lion, so his name is Leo! Jason ought to consider himself lucky that fate didn't conspire to have him named Tyler Recks.

I really like the Magna Defender from Lost Galaxy. Though YMMV on whether or not you consider him a true Ranger. If you do count him? He's probably my favourite "sixth Ranger."

Lauren, the "real" Samurai Red Ranger, was also a pretty neat character. And one of the more complex characters the show's done (admittedly it's a sliding scale).

Zeus89725    941

I'm probably the only one with this opinion, but I never liked the Power Rangers. I still think their name is stupid. Maybe it's because I'm an Islanders fan.

Chawls    452
1 hour ago, Zeus89725 said:

I'm probably the only one with this opinion, but I never liked the Power Rangers. I still think their name is stupid. Maybe it's because I'm an Islanders fan.

Power Islanders doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well. 

Chawls    452
2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I didn't even realize you're a female user.

@Yippy could be a guy too. 

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Leo, the Lost Galaxy Red Ranger is up there too. Though I need to give Saban a slow clap for the name choice. His Zord is a lion, so his name is Leo! Jason ought to consider himself lucky that fate didn't conspire to have him named Tyler Recks.

Tyler Reks?! 

IMG_6164.PNG

Ice_Cap    7,426
31 minutes ago, Chawls said:

@Yippy could be a guy too.

Her profile specifies that she's a chick.

Ice_Cap    7,426
4 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Anyone remember the Walmart version of Power Rangers...VR Troopers?

Made by the same people!

And it ended up as pretty steep competition to Power Rangers for a while. Apparently the idea to make a 12 year old a Ranger in Turbo came from the fact that VR Troopers all had kids who transformed into more powerful forms and it was outpacing Power Rangers in the ratings. So the PR team decided to try it in their show. I've still yet to see a single episode of Turbo, but if the movie's any indication? No bueno.

Seadragon76    297
1 minute ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Anyone remember the Walmart version of Power Rangers...VR Troopers?

Man, there were so many knock off versions... VR Troopers, Beetleborgs, Samurai Syber-Squad, Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills, and so on.

habsfan1    1,241
31 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Man, there were so many knock off versions... VR Troopers, Beetleborgs, Samurai Syber-Squad, Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills, and so on.

Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad is the one on the list that I thought was equally as good as MMPR. The show had a few cool features of their own. I know they played off Power Rangers like the other knock offs, but at least they put in effort to also be sufficiently creative.

Ice_Cap    7,426
43 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

VR Troopers, Beetleborgs

Those were made by Saban. The folks behind Power Rangers.

Chawls    452
6 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Her profile specifies that she's a chick.

I looked at her profile after I posted that. I didn't want to assume her gender based on her ranger preference. 

IMG_6172.JPG

wildwing64    1,143
6 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Those were made by Saban. The folks behind Power Rangers.

Yup. VR Troopers, Masked Rider, and Beetleborgs were all adapted from Toei's other Tokusatsu shows in the same way Power Rangers was. Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad had nothing to do with Saban or Toei, but was adapted from Denkou Choujin Gridman, which I believe was a spinoff of Ultraman. Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters was an original production and, going by what little I've seen, a straight up parody of the Power Rangers formula.

In Japan, Toei's original hero franchise was Kamen Rider, and the Super Sentai series was essentially a spinoff of that with a focus on a five man band instead of just the one guy. Kamen Rider was adapted twice - Masked Rider in 1995, and Kamen Rider Dragon Knight in 2010 - and it just never really took off. And then there was Toei's Metal Hero series, which was adapted into both VR Troopers and Beetleborgs.

Fun fact: Toei once collaborated with Marvel in producing a live action Spider-man show, in which he has a giant robot and is the very reason Super Sentai and Power Rangers have giant robots to this day.

13 hours ago, Chawls said:

Also, who is everyone's favorite individual ranger? Mine is the Silver Space Ranger.

I'll admit that mine is a bit cliche, but Mighty Morphin Red Ranger was always my favourite. Less so after Jason left.

I also really liked the Green Ranger but when Tommy came back as White, he almost immediately became my new favourite at the time. I even had a White Ranger costume as a kid. But looking at Tommy in retrospect, while my view is less favourable I still like the character more for nostalgia than anything, but I also get why fans dislike or are fed up with him.

Between Power Rangers and Super Sentai, there's probably not a single Ranger more badass than Captain Marvelous, aka Gokai Red. It's a shame his Super Megaforce counterpart Troy was a walking plank of wood.

wildwing64    1,143
18 minutes ago, Yippy said:

Can we please not let this discussion end up in The Goldmine...

I don't see any reason why that would happen :)

nyratk1    20
14 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Made by the same people!

And it ended up as pretty steep competition to Power Rangers for a while. Apparently the idea to make a 12 year old a Ranger in Turbo came from the fact that VR Troopers all had kids who transformed into more powerful forms and it was outpacing Power Rangers in the ratings. So the PR team decided to try it in their show. I've still yet to see a single episode of Turbo, but if the movie's any indication? No bueno.

That was Beetleborgs with the kids transforming. The VR Troopers actually were older than the MMPR characters, probably 20 something or late teens based on the jobs they had.

AstroBull21    534
15 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

- VR Troopers & Beetleborgs were Saban I'd level them at Target-level

- Samurai Squad was nice, Power Rangers low budget Walmart of the family.

- Alien Fighters was clearly the Dollar General of the bunch.

Chawls    452
17 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Since were talking different Saban properties, we can't forget their foray into original production with Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog!

Ice_Cap    7,426
33 minutes ago, Chawls said:

Since were talking different Saban properties, we can't forget their foray into original production with Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog!

This looks like the best and worst tv show ever.