wildwing64

Go Go Power Rangers!

130 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Speaking of the Transformers, the new Megazord does look a little bit like Optimus Prime from the movies.

They don't all unite in one cockpit anymore. Hopefully, it will still use the Mega Sword & maybe the Mastodon head shield that would be nice.

The comparison was always going to be made but the similarity is superficial at best. They're both heavily detailed giant humanoid robots and that's really about it. Now when it comes to the original TV designs of both, I can see a stronger resemblance between the two (in fact Optimus Prime looking like the Megazord was what drew me to Transformers) but with these modern day movie versions there's a clear aesthetic difference. The Transformers are very angular and mechanical, but with the Zords there's more of an organic feel to them. Even Pacific Rim has established its own aesthetic, and befitting of a film that takes place mostly at sea the robots there are kinda like giant walking battleships.

Based on one of the toys, I think the Megazord will have a sword. But considering the Mastodon forms part of the legs and feet, I doubt we'll be seeing the head shield. In fairness we didn't see much of that in the show either :P 

8 hours ago, dont care said:

So there is a YouTube video of how atleast the toys go together and it shows the shoulders arms and head are the Trex, torso and upper thigh area is the saber tooth. The triceratops and mastodon are each of the legs and the Petradon is obviously the wings.

That was made so that there would be a combining toy, but because of the way the Zords are designed for film first (as opposed to toys first like the TV show) there's a few inconsistencies with the on-screen model. We get a vague idea based on the colour separation but unlike the combiner toy it's not clear that the T-Rex legs become the Megazord arms, for example. The toy has the Triceratops head as one of the feet, but in the film the head crest has formed armour on both knees. The toys also have the Megazord horns in pink but it looks like they're red in the film. 

Rita does look like Poison Ivy and the Megazord does look like Optimus Prime. But it's just minor nitpicking, tbh. The film makers know their audience. They've made changes to distinguish the movies from the TV show. But they knew what needed to be kept to avoid alienating the hardcore fans, who consist of a huge percentage of the audience. It's a spin on the classic MMPR, not necessarily a seperate entity.

The new Rita outfit works in a way because the green contrasts very well with the Power Ranger suit colors. They seemed to have payed close attention to those details, so I think everything will blend just right.

They will bring in more of the classic characters, in the upcoming sequels. Hardcore fans are going to be wanting it. They're not going to do everything in one fell swoop. They're going to let some things play and move foward from there. Lord Zedd has been rumoured to be the main villain in the next movie. Heck, he might even show up in this one.

Twitch is doing a Power Rangers marathon right now!

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

Rita does look like Poison Ivy and the Megazord does look like Optimus Prime. But it's just minor nitpicking, tbh. The film makers know their audience. They've made changes to distinguish the movies from the TV show. But they knew what needed to be kept to avoid alienating the hardcore fans, who consist of a huge percentage of the audience. It's a spin on the classic MMPR, not necessarily a seperate entity.

The new Rita outfit works in a way because the green contrasts very well with the Power Ranger suit colors. They seemed to have payed close attention to those details, so I think everything will blend just right.

They will bring in more of the classic characters, in the upcoming sequels. Hardcore fans are going to be wanting it. They're not going to do everything in one fell swoop. They're going to let some things play and move foward from there. Lord Zedd has been rumoured to be the main villain in the next movie. Heck, he might even show up in this one.

Maybe it's just me who doesn't see the resemblance then.

Rita's apparently set to have five different outfits in the movie, and there's a very... spoilery (and yet, kinda obvious) reason she's wearing green.

Spoiler

All those people asking "lol wheres green ranger" will see her (yes, her) in a flashback scene at the beginning of the film. If the novel is anything to go by anyway.

The more I talk about this movie, the more and more I cannot wait to see it.  I'm already planning to see it at least twice.

3 people like this

26 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

Twitch is doing a Power Rangers marathon right now!

Maybe it's just me who doesn't see the resemblance then.

Rita's apparently set to have five different outfits in the movie, and there's a very... spoilery (and yet, kinda obvious) reason she's wearing green.

Reveal hidden contents

All those people asking "lol wheres green ranger" will see her (yes, her) in a flashback scene at the beginning of the film. If the novel is anything to go by anyway.

Her staff from the set pictures also said something about the story.

On 3/11/2017 at 10:33 AM, Turtle Pilgrim said:

No, I don't have to.  I often close, or have closed, posts in that way, or in similar ways, when I have posted or do post on various message boards online before.  You just worry about yourself, not me, in terms of how certain posts are closed.  I have a right to close my posts any way I so choose, as long as I don't break any rules or laws in the process of doing so.  If you don't like it, then so be it, but I will not change who I am just to make you happy.  Ignore me or not, as you choose, but I will not let you rattle me, or anything, if I can possibly avoid it at all, sir or madam, as the case may be.  I do and will welcome your reasonable enough thoughts here, for sure, mind you, but I still will not be bullied into changing who I am for anyone, not even you.  You are not the owner or a moderator or anything except a member of this board, nor am I the owner or moderator or anything else other than a member of this board in like manner, so you have no say in how I choose to post, and I have no say in how you choose to post, generally, at least.  So just worry about yourself, not me, here.

Anyway, back to the topic of this particular thread, and that is Power Rangers.  So what are people's favorite seasons or series of Power Rangers, et cetera, and why?  And if you could mix up every Ranger and/or Sentai Warrior to make up teams, et cetera, other than what was ever shown on screen or in other forms of media, especially in light of the previous team-up episodes, or the movies, both pre-reboot and the current reboot, how might you each perhaps do so, if you could?  Just wondering, that's all.  Turtle Pilgrim out.

I think it's funny :)

On 3/11/2017 at 9:33 AM, Turtle Pilgrim said:

No, I don't have to.  I often close, or have closed, posts in that way, or in similar ways, when I have posted or do post on various message boards online before.  You just worry about yourself, not me, in terms of how certain posts are closed.  I have a right to close my posts any way I so choose, as long as I don't break any rules or laws in the process of doing so.  If you don't like it, then so be it, but I will not change who I am just to make you happy.  Ignore me or not, as you choose, but I will not let you rattle me, or anything, if I can possibly avoid it at all, sir or madam, as the case may be.  I do and will welcome your reasonable enough thoughts here, for sure, mind you, but I still will not be bullied into changing who I am for anyone, not even you.  You are not the owner or a moderator or anything except a member of this board, nor am I the owner or moderator or anything else other than a member of this board in like manner, so you have no say in how I choose to post, and I have no say in how you choose to post, generally, at least.  So just worry about yourself, not me, here.

Anyway, back to the topic of this particular thread, and that is Power Rangers.  So what are people's favorite seasons or series of Power Rangers, et cetera, and why?  And if you could mix up every Ranger and/or Sentai Warrior to make up teams, et cetera, other than what was ever shown on screen or in other forms of media, especially in light of the previous team-up episodes, or the movies, both pre-reboot and the current reboot, how might you each perhaps do so, if you could?  Just wondering, that's all.  Turtle Pilgrim out.

You aren't on a radio, you don't have to "out" yourself. 

2 people like this

...but you do have to stay on topic. Atomic reminding you, help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutered.

Also - my son's stoked for this. If it doesn't have a cameo by Amy Jo Johnson, it's not even worth it! :lol:

3 people like this

5 hours ago, Atomic said:

Also - my son's stoked for this. If it doesn't have a cameo by Amy Jo Johnson, it's not even worth it! :lol:

Spoiler

It does. As Lionsgate casually confirmed via the film's production notes. Jason David Frank is also set to appear.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Hide contents

It does. As Lionsgate casually confirmed via the film's production notes. Jason David Frank is also set to appear.

Wait when was this?  I thought this was debunked?  You can PM me links to avoid spoilers.

10 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Hide contents

Of course he is. I think he lives in Saban's basement.

5 people like this

10 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Reveal hidden contents

16 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Couldn't think of a better way to cater to the old school fans and tie it all together in a way.

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Couldn't think of a better way to cater to the old school fans and tie it all together in a way.

I'd have liked a cameo from Austin St. John but I'm not losing any sleep over it. To be honest I wasn't expecting any, and it's nice that we're getting cameos after all.

2 people like this

I may be in the minority among people who like Power Rangers, but I'm over JDF. 

2 people like this

8 hours ago, burgundy said:

Saban, much like Disney, sadly won't let him show off his tattoos.

ldO4d9i.jpg

Now you know why Dino Thunder Tommy always wore turtlenecks and long-sleeved t-shirts.

Considering he has a Jesus Didn't Tap tattoo, I'm glad he's staying sleeved. 

1 person likes this

The original MMPR cast - Austin St. John, Walter Jones, Amy Jo Johnson, David Yost, and Jason David Frank will be at the premiere of the movie tomorrow night, and they'll be doing a Q&A!

And I've suddenly been hit with the sinking depression of remembering that Thuy Trang died in a car accident.

1 person likes this

This really isn't spoiler worthy because it's confirmed by the director himself and well, it's a Google search away:

Trini, the yellow Power Ranger, is queer. Also, apparently Billy, the blue Power Ranger, is autistic.

1 person likes this

Movie's barely out and the social media accounts have casually dropped another spoiler. How major or minor it is really depends on whether you already saw it coming a mile off.

Spoiler

This all but confirms that Rita Repulsa is the fallen Green Ranger. It's a nice helmet, sorta looks like they took movie Pink's, painted it green, and added some hints of classic MMPR Rita's design.

15 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

Movie's barely out and the social media accounts have casually dropped another spoiler. How major or minor it is really depends on whether you already saw it coming a mile off.

Hide contents

This all but confirms that Rita Repulsa is the fallen Green Ranger. It's a nice helmet, sorta looks like they took movie Pink's, painted it green, and added some hints of classic MMPR Rita's design.

They probably should have held off on that, at least through the weekend. I mean, we all saw it coming, but the impact would have been bigger for me by seeing it for the first time in the theater.

2 people like this