wildwing64

Go Go Power Rangers!

dont care    1,439
2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Just finished seeing Power Rangers. I thought it was really good. The lead up to the final battle seemed drawn out, but it's understandable for the first movie. The zords running into battle with the Power Rangers theme song playing in the background gave me goosebumps. Ah, I love nostalgia.

Overall, I give Power Rangers 7.75/10.

that was my favorite scene by far, its like the took the new zords and inserted them in the exact scene from the show that made me feel like a kid again.

monkeypower    644

Just saw the movie and I enjoyed it. I'm not much of a Power Rangers fan (just looking it up now the only one I sort of watched was Wild Force, at least I'm pretty sure it was that series) but I understand who and what the Power Rangers are and got most of the references.

I did enjoy them actually playing the theme song in the movie and not just in the credits.

wildwing64    1,143

ComicBook.com has shared rejected concept art of the Triceratops and Sabre-tooth Tiger Dinozords for the movie.

But to save you all the trouble of navigating their clunky website, here's a direct link to the portfolio of the artist, Mauricio Ruiz instead. You'll also see some rejected Red Ranger suit designs.

As for the Zords, these are very much in line with some concept art that got leaked a couple years ago and made their rounds on the internet. They feel more like militaristic mechs compared to the final designs, which are more streamlined and organic. There are also some nods to the classic Dinozord designs, like the tank treads and tail cannon of the Triceratops. Part of me is a little bummed that they didn't go this route, but at the same time I can see why they didn't. In general, all the movie designs have an otherworldly look to them, and these Zords don't really fit that aesthetic. In a way the Zords in the film feel more in line with what they were supposed to be in the show.

AstroBull21    534

Ugh I really hope we get a sequel or two.  It's not fair that in the US this movie had to compete with Beauty and the Beast and in China they had to go up against Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

I mean we do still have Japan to go for release, but Im getting nervous that we wont see the real Green Ranger and Tommy.

wildwing64    1,143
4 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Ugh I really hope we get a sequel or two.  It's not fair that in the US this movie had to compete with Beauty and the Beast and in China they had to go up against Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Even when they no longer own it, Disney's out to kill Power Rangers.

Joking aside, I believe as far as Lionsgate is concerned the movie was a success (word is they spent about $30 million of their own money on it, with the rest of the $100m budget coming from Saban and other investors). They want this to be a franchise. Maybe they'll have second thoughts about that, or maybe they go ahead with a sequel anyway. But let's not forget other important factors like the DVD sales when they're out, and the toyline which is apparently doing really well.

Still, I have to admit that I was shocked to see it not doing so great in China. They've basically been a goldmine for movies in the last few years and you'd think they'd be all over this. Really down to bad luck that it happened to be out the same day as a powerhouse like GotG.

I have to wonder how well this movie would have done in a less crowded time period. It came out hot on the heels of Logan, King Kong, and was sandwiched between Beauty and the Beast and Boss Baby. Did it not do so well because of all these other movies coming out, or did it struggle to compete because of the "kiddy" stigma that Power Rangers has made little effort to shake off leading up to this movie?

4 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I mean we do still have Japan to go for release, but Im getting nervous that we wont see the real Green Ranger and Tommy.

Movies don't typically do any better or worse in Japan than everywhere else. If anything it'll do marginally better than it has here in the UK. I'm not expecting it to be a breakout smash hit there, though I guess that depends on how much Toei pushes it.

I'd like a movie with Green Ranger as much as anyone else, and I have no doubt that he (or she!) will be in a sequel, if there is one. But honestly, I'm glad we got at least one movie focusing on the original five.

AstroBull21    534
31 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

I'd like a movie with Green Ranger as much as anyone else, and I have no doubt that he (or she!) will be in a sequel, if there is one. But honestly, I'm glad we got at least one movie focusing on the original five.

Totally agreed, we had to have an origin story.

Ice_Cap    7,426
55 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Totally agreed, we had to have an origin story.

And at least this one explained where Rita got the green power coin from. They never did tie up that loose thread in the show.

wildwing64    1,143
1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

And at least this one explained where Rita got the green power coin from. They never did tie up that loose thread in the show.

One of the Papercutz comics (issue 2 of 3, before they lost the license and the BOOM! comics came along) gave us some insight to how she stole the Power Coin, and then it's later revealed that it was propping up a mirror in her palace :lol:

Cosmic    2,477
3 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

I have to wonder how well this movie would have done in a less crowded time period. It came out hot on the heels of Logan, King Kong, and was sandwiched between Beauty and the Beast and Boss Baby. Did it not do so well because of all these other movies coming out, or did it struggle to compete because of the "kiddy" stigma that Power Rangers has made little effort to shake off leading up to this movie?

Ironically, I think it might have done better if it came out right around now. Typically, summer is crowded, but I think the slate is full of "good, not great" hits for the next month-ish. This past weekend would have been a good target, probably. Alien, Pirates, Wonder Woman, Baywatch, and The Mummy are the "big" competition. Pirates will probably still be big, but that franchise is definitely fading in the US. Wonder Woman could be a huge movie, but I don't know if I'd count on it; maybe it can be the beneficiary of the weak competition.

How do you guys think the Green Ranger story would play out with the Rangers already in possession of the green power coin, and Rita blasted off into space? I hadn't really considered that until just now.

wildwing64    1,143

On a different note, the original Megazord (or rather, Daizyujin) has been added to the roster of a Super Robot Wars mobile game in Japan. Notably, this also marks its first official appearance alongside the King of Monsters himself.

That's right. Through this game, it's possible to have the Megazord and Godzilla fighting alongside each other! How crazy is that?

wildwing64    1,143

Relevant to the interests of these very boards, the Lowell Spinners morphed into Blue Ranger themed uniforms for Sunday's game: