Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ice_Cap

WWE WrestleMania 33: 2 April 2017

443 posts in this topic

Quote

undertaker did one chokeslam and was ready to throw up in pain. roman's gonna squash him

 

You don't have to be in good shape to win a match. It's fake and scripted. David Arquette was once world champion.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

 

There are two ways to get fans to have the intended reaction for Reigns:

 

1. Turn him heel. He'll be the most over heel on the roster immediately. People may cheer, but I think even smart fans would rather boo him. I think the biggest problem is they'd lose merchandise sales (Reigns is top three in the company).

 

2. Have him go an extended losing streak. The problem with Reigns is that you can't connect with him. At all. He generally doesn't show any vulnerability, and when he does, you know he's going to win (I didn't watch tonight; did he win?), so you can't get behind him.

 

Even when Hogan was at his peak, he'd get the holy hell beat out of him between matches. So while he won all of his big angles, he got stretchered, knocked out, turned on, and otherwise showed his ass between matches. Reigns might take a big bump now and then, but he's always standing tall at the end of the show. It's the same problem they have with Stephanie now, and with Triple H years ago -- they just can't let the chosen few ever show real vulnerability. It's maddening. 

 

EDIT: Yikes.

 

I agree with the last thing you said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a good thing that Vince gave Undertaker his own daughter in ritual sacrifice because he has absolutely drained the man of everything. There is no way Undertaker will be able to walk in the next few years.

 

I really hope this is it. I want to hear Mark Calloway, out of character, on either Austin or Jericho's podcast. If any wrestler should write a book, it should be Taker.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DDR said:

 

I interpreted the grimace as "dammit, I made a mistake and turned my back on Reigns."

 

But either way, yeah, time to walk away. At this point old, soft and balding Undertaker is doing more harm than good to his legacy. And I don't know how much of a draw he still is.

The fact that he's wrestled beyond WrestleMania 31 is astounding to me. I always thought that should've been his curtain call - the streak had ended the year prior, and he could go out, get a great ovation, and leave on his own terms. This bizarre ritual of dragging him out every year at WrestleMania to lumber around a ring looking well beyond his 51 years of ago is terrible, both in terms of his legacy and in terms of watchability.

 

I think most of us cringe just like Taker did in that GIF when watching any of his matches now. And yet I can see this annual ritual continuing until Taker literally cannot walk to the ring any longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was there any crowd reaction towards Woods during the new day segment? I didn't have the sound on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Was there any crowd reaction towards Woods during the new day segment? I didn't have the sound on. 

 

Hard to say, but I don't think so. Big E. made his "so, is there something you want to tell us about?" joke at the very beginning of the promo, while the crowd was still popping for the New Day appearing in general. Then they went right into the WrestleMania hard sell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, kroywen said:

The fact that he's wrestled beyond WrestleMania 31 is astounding to me. I always thought that should've been his curtain call - the streak had ended the year prior, and he could go out, get a great ovation, and leave on his own terms. This bizarre ritual of dragging him out every year at WrestleMania to lumber around a ring looking well beyond his 51 years of ago is terrible, both in terms of his legacy and in terms of watchability.

 

I think most of us cringe just like Taker did in that GIF when watching any of his matches now. And yet I can see this annual ritual continuing until Taker literally cannot walk to the ring any longer.

 

I understand that he's a special attraction who still gets an amazing reaction everywhere. But I'd hate to see Vince succeed at convincing The Undertaker to continue delaying his hip suegery, so Vince can continue making money off of broken down old man Taker.

 

I enjoy the sight of his entrance as much as everyone else. But I don't want to see greed triumph over morality once again.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Undertaker is his own man and should be financially secure for the rest of his days. If he doesn't want to do something, I don't think he's the type that can be easily convinced to do it, even with his loyalty to Vince McMahon. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DDR said:

The Undertaker is his own man and should be financially secure for the rest of his days. If he doesn't want to do something, I don't think he's the type that can be easily convinced to do it, even with his loyalty to Vince McMahon. 

Yeah, I don't think Taker's doing anything he doesn't want to do. I'd be surprised if this isn't his last Wrestlemania.

 

Not only are we going to blessed by Cornette's presence at the Hall of Fame but Bischoff will be inducting DDP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get why Bischoff is doing it, but it should have been Jake Roberts or Scott Hall honestly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Atomic said:

I get why Bischoff is doing it, but it should have been Jake Roberts or Scott Hall honestly. 

 

Both have likely relapsed, aka WWE TV ineligible. 

 

A few months back, Hall went MIA for a couple weeks. His buddies were even throwing out Amber Alert-style tweets looking for him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim Ross' wife was involved in a bad accident. She was struck while riding her Vespa and suffered "multiple" skull fractures. Ross Tweeted that they need a miracle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just rewatched the Highlight Reel segment from last night, man, Jericho is massively over. Great segment in general, but it coulda gone to a way worse place. How often does the "presenting evidence on the Titantron" devolve into showing poorly Photoshopped photos of a guy as a baby or a donkey or a poop emoji or something lame? But this Reel felt...real. Well done.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gallows and Anderson are fantastic

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Triple H doing ESPN2 promotional work.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"We're everything the NFL won't allow them to be. Their brand as much as our brand." Ha ha. GTFO.

 

Good beginning on a conversation on health though, especially since the WWE -- after a grim 20 years denying -- has fully embraced concussion protocols and heart care in a way the NFL likely never will. I'd be more impressed if they paid for wrestlers' health insurance, but baby steps matter too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

"We're everything the NFL won't allow them to be. Their brand as much as our brand." Ha ha. GTFO.

 

Good beginning on a conversation on health though, especially since the WWE -- after a grim 20 years denying -- has fully embraced concussion protocols and heart care in a way the NFL likely never will. I'd be more impressed if they paid for wrestlers' health insurance, but baby steps matter too.

 

Wrestlers need a union.but everyone's known that for nearly 40 years. 

 

Questions:

1.  Are "sports entertainers" members of the screen actors guild?  I'm guessing not because they'd get credits or something, but shouldn't they be considered actors?  Or are they more like circus performers?

 

2.  If they did unionize, would that essentially end indie wrestling, since they'd probably demand health care and other seemingly reasonable things that the high-school-gym promotions simply wouldn't be able to provide?

 

3.  "Their" brand?  Really?  From an organization that won't let Cody use the Rhodes faux surname?  That (mostly) doesn't even allow employees to use their own legal names?  That "packages" guys and comes up with characters that guys are simply assigned to play (in many cases)?  I know what he was trying to say, but man is he painting a picture that isn't quite reality.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Triple H doing ESPN2 promotional work.

 

 

 

Hmm, where have I heard this before?...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching The Undertaker wrestle is like watching your dad get beat up.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 Are "sports entertainers" members of the screen actors guild?

No.

 

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 If they did unionize, would that essentially end indie wrestling, since they'd probably demand health care and other seemingly reasonable things that the high-school-gym promotions simply wouldn't be able to provide?

Probably.

 

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 "Their" brand?  Really?

The WWE has been all about the brand. 50/50 booking is designed to ensure that no one eclipses the "brand" that is WWE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0