Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ice_Cap

WWE WrestleMania 33: 2 April 2017

443 posts in this topic

Heard rumors that Impact/TNA will eventually adopt Global Force Wrestling as the brand/company name. I'd be surprised if that were the case seeing as how they recently introduced a new Impact Wrestling logo.

Gotta admit I was never a fan of them making Impact the company name as well as the name of their tv show.

They're not big enough to have distinctively branded TV programs or 12 PPV's a year anymore.

In the mid-to-late 2000s, TNA iMPACT! & Xplosion were the replacement alternative to WCW's Nitro & Thunder.

Now, they're just another minor league promotion who brand their TV program with their promotion's name. Like what Ring of Honor used to do. 

I think Impact works as a TV show name, but not really as a promotion name. The "Global Force Wrestling" name is much, much better for that (and much better than TNA ever was as a name, FWIW). 

If they want to come off as major league again - because, let's face it, no promotion wants to come off as minor league - branding themselves as GFW and using the Impact name for their TV show would work. Though, to be honest, they may be best served by a clean break from TNA altogether, and adopting the GFW branding as a complete restart to the promotion. New graphics, new name of the TV show, bring in some new talent (and get rid of some of the dregs from TNA).

A complete rebrand and a break from the joke that TNA became would serve them well.

2 people like this

They were never major league.  Let's not kid ourselves.  No promotion that films 99% of its shows in the same "studio" is major league.

That being said, neither the GFW or Impact brands are worth anything on a national level.  If this is the time for one to start making a push, then it makes more sense for the company and show to be the same rather than dilute either.  Having "Impact" be GFW's show just confuses people.  Is it Impact?  Is it GFW?  Impact - that's that TNA thing right?

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

I think Impact works as a TV show name, but not really as a promotion name. The "Global Force Wrestling" name is much, much better for that (and much better than TNA ever was as a name, FWIW). 

If they want to come off as major league again - because, let's face it, no promotion wants to come off as minor league - branding themselves as GFW and using the Impact name for their TV show would work. Though, to be honest, they may be best served by a clean break from TNA altogether, and adopting the GFW branding as a complete restart to the promotion. New graphics, new name of the TV show, bring in some new talent (and get rid of some of the dregs from TNA).

A complete rebrand and a break from the joke that TNA became would serve them well.

I see what you're saying. Global Force Wrestling sounds like it could be the name of a legitimate sports league. While Total Nonstop Action is a good tagline for a wrestling company, it always came off a bit cheesy to me as a company name. To be fair though, many of the more dignified names are probably all taken. I know that Major League Wrestling is a thing. I'll assume without checking Google that there is a Premiere Wrestling League somewhere in the world.

1 person likes this

Finn Balor made his return tonight at a live event. 

Edit: Triple H did, too.

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They were never major league.  Let's not kid ourselves.  No promotion that films 99% of its shows in the same "studio" is major league.

That being said, neither the GFW or Impact brands are worth anything on a national level.  If this is the time for one to start making a push, then it makes more sense for the company and show to be the same rather than dilute either.  Having "Impact" be GFW's show just confuses people.  Is it Impact?  Is it GFW?  Impact - that's that TNA thing right?

Agreed. It really doesn't matter what the name is as long as the English speaking North American audience's (general or IWC) initial thought is, "it's not WWE".

It, like ROH, isn't a "heritage brand" and never will be. While both are close to having a second generation of fans, it's not enough.

Hell, Sinclair cut funding for its sports network today, American Sports Network, so the future of ROH could be in doubt.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/3/10/more-sacked-at-sinclair

TNA didn't always suck. They've done plenty of interesting programs throughout the cards they used to put on. And that goes for the main events, middle of the cards, and opening contests. 

Their style differed from WWE and they were able to become a good alternative. Rarely were they ever better than WWE, but were a solid #2 show at best.

For so long, they've put on recycled feuds and programs that don't incite emotional investment from the viewers, they've made many, many bad decisions on the production level (just look at their recent logo history), etc. I understand that when a product gets hot, it will eventually hit a cool down phase. But that's okay. It doesn't mean everybody should throw their hands in the air, call it a day, stop caring, and then get back up only to start over again to simply collect a paycheck without a shred of care.

Also, the way they've handled their financial issues has been horrific.

If they want to save money, the Impact Zone (if that's what they still call it) should be turned into a platform to give new up-and-coming talents some TV exposure, in the same light that WWE has done with the Cruiserweights and UK talents. Maybe on a smaller scale, to be more realistic. But something, anything to garner interest. You don't always need a multi-million dollar budget to do something simple but effective.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

TNA didn't always suck. They've done plenty of interesting programs throughout the cards they used to put on. And that goes for the main events, middle of the cards, and opening contests. 

Their style differed from WWE and they were able to become a good alternative. Rarely were they ever better than WWE, but were a solid #2 show at best.

For so long, they've put on recycled feuds and programs that don't incite emotional investment from the viewers, they've made many, many bad decisions on the production level (just look at their recent logo history), etc. I understand that when a product gets hot, it will eventually hit a cool down phase. But that's okay. It doesn't mean everybody should throw their hands in the air, call it a day, stop caring, and then get back up only to start over again to simply collect a paycheck without a shred of care.

Also, the way they've handled their financial issues has been horrific.

If they want to save money, the Impact Zone (if that's what they still call it) should be turned into a platform to give new up-and-coming talents some TV exposure, in the same light that WWE has done with the Cruiserweights and UK talents. Maybe on a smaller scale, to be more realistic. But something, anything to garner interest. You don't always need a multi-millior dollar budget to do something simple but effective.

While some, including myself, never thought TNA/Impact "sucked" (your word), it was always off-brand and that stigma will continue.

If the WWE is McDonald's, TNA/Impact really never was Burger King, Subway, nor Wendy's. At best, it is/was more like Jack In The Box or Carls, Jr./Hardee's.

And the Impact Zone is already "small scale", since admission is not charged.

My biggest reason for why I don't DVR and rarely watch?

It's not in HD. Now that's partly a DirecTv issue, but in 2017, it takes a lot for me to watch standard def shows. It also doesn't repeat during the week. 

They can have rebranding but 97% of the world still thinks they are forever spare.

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

While some, including myself, never thought TNA/Impact "sucked" (your word), it was always off-brand and that stigma will continue.

If the WWE is McDonald's, TNA/Impact really never was Burger King, Subway, nor Wendy's. At best, it is/was more like Jack In The Box or Carls, Jr./Hardee's.

It's not in HD. Now that's partly a DirecTv issue, but in 2017, it takes a lot for me to watch standard def shows. It also doesn't repeat during the week. 

They can have rebranding but 97% of the world still thinks they are forever spare.

Except that Jack in the Box has had some degree of nation wide success that still continues  and is my preferred choice over McDonalds. At best they are Fuzzy's Taco to the Mexican food sector of the food industry. Even that is a stretch. 

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Coast2CoastAM2006 said:

Except that Jack in the Box has had some degree of nation wide success that still continues  and is my preferred choice over McDonalds. At best they are Fuzzy's Taco to the Mexican food sector of the food industry. Even that is a stretch. 

And that part knows Jack in the Box for 2 tacos for $0.99 . they're not nationwide and neither is this rasslin' group.

I retract the chains I said before...TNA/Impact is Dunkin' Donuts.

Late '90s when Grand Metropolitan was the conglomerate which owned, DD, BK, and Pillsbury with Guinness, Dunkin fell apart nationally.

Folks don't care about how the TNA brand is named when it is on Wednesday or Thursday night. 

It is off-brand rasslin' and will forever be known/seen as I off-brand, regardless of title.

It's like

Gobots vs Transformers

Lionbots vs Voltron

guess which side is TNA. 

2 people like this

Or they could call it

Bobos Championship Wrestling. 

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Or they could call it

Bobos Championship Wrestling. 

Next GM?

I have no idea who that is. 

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, dfwabel said:

That's a good, fair enough comparisson.

Reason I thought they were once a #2 wrestling program was because they were the only ones to even have a TV show, besides WWE. Didn't matter the size of the popularity gap compared to WWE. When their product was on a roll, whether big or small, I assumed they were the #2 show for that reason alone.

The only thing is that many of the decisions they've made have left a bad taste in the mouths of their audience, and they've developed a toxic reputation, in spite of the fact that some things they do still make for good TV. Not all off-brand products receive as much negative criticism as TNA..oh scuse me I mean Impact Wrestling. It looks like it has to do with something more than just their small demographic.

1 person likes this

I'm going to the NXT live show in Tampa on the 25th! It's my first NXT event! I'm psyched.

22 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Having "Impact" be GFW's show just confuses people.  Is it Impact?  Is it GFW? 

GFW Impact. Not any different from WWE Raw.

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, Shumway said:

Finn Balor made his return tonight at a live event. 

Edit: Triple H did, too.

...and Hideo Itami returned tonight at an NXT live event.

Obviously, HHH will be involved at Mania, but I wonder what they'll do with Finn and Hideo.

Hideo's gotta be going back to NXT. Sadly, he's coming off as "injury prone" and off that reputation, he should be a part of the main roster.

As for Finn? Wouldn't be surprised if a new heel group of NXT-ers forms with Triple H at the helm. 

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I have no idea who what that is. 

I modified your post to reflect my reaction to most dfwabel posts.