Sign in to follow this  
Ice_Cap

WWE WrestleMania 33: 2 April 2017

Sorry for beating a horse that died 6 months ago, but SmackDown really needs an overrun.  It has zero live feeling.  They may as well have kept it pre-taped - the only difference (granted, a big difference) is it's spoilerproof now.

An overrun would at least make it seem less like a scripted 2 hour show (even though we know that the overrun is part of the script.)

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

No, it doesn't....I would much rather see that than a multi-man ladder cluster :censored:

Usually, I'd agree with this because I enjoy seeing certain guys get involved in meaningful programs rather than get thrown into meaningless multi-man clusterfests.

But because it concerns the Cruiserweights, doing crazy spots is their specialty. I understand different preferences, but I wanted to see the CW's do what they do best on a big stage instead of watching them continue to be an afterthought.

2 hours ago, charger77 said:

World Wrestling League

World Wrestling Association

Major League Wrestling

There has to be some legitimate reason as to why WWE didn't choose WWA or WWL when they had to rebrand in 2002 (stupid pandas).  I would not be surprised if those two names already belonged to other entities at the time (possibly even to this day). FWIW, either League or Association would have been a thousand times better than Entertainment.

I know for a fact Major League Wrestling was an Indy promotion at one point. Now it's some sort of wrestling blog and or podcast.

They went WWE because Vince has always had a complex about "wrestling" and wanted to position themselves as an entertainment conglomerate. Would this change have happened if the World Wildlife Fund issue never happened? Probably not, but they had already been officially named World Wrestling Federation Entertainment for a few years to emphasize the "we tell stories" thing and give a platform for the other things they wanted to do (i.e., movies).

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

There has to be some legitimate reason as to why WWE didn't choose WWA or WWL when they had to rebrand in 2002 (stupid pandas). 

Titan Sports had become WWFE in the late 90s. WWE derives from that.

The current entity, incorporated on February 21, 1980, was previously known as Titan Sports, Inc., which was founded in 1979 in South Yarmouth, Massachusetts. It acquired Capitol Wrestling Corporation, the holding company for the World Wrestling Federation, in 1982. Titan was renamed World Wrestling Federation, Inc. in 1998, then World Wrestling Federation Entertainment, Inc. in 1999, and finally the current World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. in 2002. Since 2011, the company has officially branded itself solely as WWE though the company's legal name was not changed.[12][13]

29 minutes ago, DDR said:

They went WWE because Vince has always had a complex about "wrestling" and wanted to position themselves as an entertainment conglomerate. Would this change have happened if the World Wildlife Fund issue never happened? Probably not, but they had already been officially named World Wrestling Federation Entertainment for a few years to emphasize the "we tell stories" thing and give a platform for the other things they wanted to do (i.e., movies).

When I hear about Vince's complexity about wanting to be known as entertainment and not wrestling, I find it funny that his biggest show of the year is still called Wrestle-mania. They might change it to Entertainmentmania some day.

As for the company's names changes, it works better than WWF in today's generation because the biggest wrestling promotions from nowadays do not use the word "championship" or "federation", and most don't use "world" either. Most of those promotions don't use old school abbreviations anymore, so I feel like the change was a welcome evolution of their brand into modern days.

The other reason why I don't mind the change anymore is because it's not the first time the WWF changed their name. They started as the WWWF, shortened it to WWF, and then changed it to WWE. It feels like they change every 20-30 years with the times. I know circumstances were different the 2nd time, but it still feels that way.

Forcing the WWF juggernaut to change their name to WWE might have been the biggest thing they've ever done, in terms of getting worldwide attention. But in a way, it might have been a favor to WWE because now their name doesn't sound old anymore.

So the AJ/Shane match got a lot more interesting with the backstage segment.  Holy hell. 

Edit:  so by the by, the Wyatt/Orton build is going in odd places, which is to be expected, but I'm not sure if it makes for great television or not. Like Randy burning down Sister Abigail's shack was visually cool, but the crowd didn't really sell it.  When Bray rubbed Sister Abigail's ashes onto himself last night, claiming he's got new super powers, the crowd was dead. 

Like you're doing all this mystic stuff and then it's just gonna come down to a wrestling match.  How could this ever appropriately pay off?

The whole Sister Abigail element of Bray Wyatt's character has always been kinda dumb. I mean, when it was just part of his backstory as somebody who shaped him, it was random, but ok, whatever. Now that she's an active part of angles, helping him escape a shipping container, being the centerpiece of a WWE Title program it just doesn't make sense to me. Why would the audience care about a character who we've never met or seen?

Also, the AJ/Shane angle was really great, but I have two minor complaints:

a) why are we to believe that the people in charge of WWE are constantly late to shows? If they don't care enough to be there, why should we care?

B) I know they briefly touched on it with Daniel Bryan, but I think they shoulda sold the firing of Styles more. He assaulted Shane McMahon for no real reason and it wasn't in the moment. It was him waiting for an hour in the parking lot so he could ambush Shane. Not quite the logical escalation of "feeling screwed out of the WWE Title match." 

5 hours ago, CS85 said:

So the AJ/Shane match got a lot more interesting with the backstage segment.  Holy hell. 

Edit:  so by the by, the Wyatt/Orton build is going in odd places, which is to be expected, but I'm not sure if it makes for great television or not. Like Randy burning down Sister Abigail's shack was visually cool, but the crowd didn't really sell it.  When Bray rubbed Sister Abigail's ashes onto himself last night, claiming he's got new super powers, the crowd was dead. 

Like you're doing all this mystic stuff and then it's just gonna come down to a wrestling match.  How could this ever appropriately pay off?

It's very possible that the crowd was dead for that, because they couldn't see it. It was very dark on TV, and those screens at Live Events/arenas are difficult to see when the brightness is normal.

9 hours ago, CS85 said:

Exactly why Bray Wyatt has no business being champion. He's a side show. You wouldn't put the WHC on BROKEN Matt Hardy, would you? Bray, like Matt, if he's going to be doing all the mystic stuff, is better suited having bizarre sideshow-style matches involving possessed boats and drones. 

also, DB looks 10-years-old in those plaid shirts. 

Kevin Owens is a bigger guy. Samoa Joe is thick. Bray Wyatt is, too. But none of these guys look sloppy and all look to be in good wrestling condition.

And then there's Kassius Ohno who looks like a fat guy on day one of working out at the YMCA. It's become clear that Chris Hero isn't going to get himself in shape (which I think is what led to him leaving NXT the first time), so he might want to consider new ring gear that covers up his physique. His current gear accentuates his gut and dumpy legs. 

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Exactly why Bray Wyatt has no business being champion. He's a side show. You wouldn't put the WHC on BROKEN Matt Hardy, would you? Bray, like Matt, if he's going to be doing all the mystic stuff, is better suited having bizarre sideshow-style matches involving possessed boats and drones. 

Indiana, let it go. 

8000 fans resoundingly chanting "You Deserve It" in the arena on that night + everyone else who expressed happiness for his big win, that's a significant enough percentage of the audience, imo.

12 hours ago, DDR said:

Kevin Owens is a bigger guy. Samoa Joe is thick. Bray Wyatt is, too. But none of these guys look sloppy and all look to be in good wrestling condition.

And then there's Kassius Ohno who looks like a fat guy on day one of working out at the YMCA. It's become clear that Chris Hero isn't going to get himself in shape (which I think is what led to him leaving NXT the first time), so he might want to consider new ring gear that covers up his physique. His current gear accentuates his gut and dumpy legs. 

I was thinking the exact same thing. Also, why is this dude even in NXT? He failed once and I'm guessing he will fail again. 

10 minutes ago, nuordr said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Also, why is this dude even in NXT? He failed once and I'm guessing he will fail again. 

He's a good worker, and I'm sure a good veteran presence to help the younger talents grow. I'd guess he never sees the main roster and is being utilized as more of a player-coach. 

OH HELL YEAH! Gonna celebrate with some Steveweisers tonight. 

The Austin 3:16 promo is legendary, no doubt. It's on any list of the best promos in wrestling history. But I was curious as to its reception at the time. So I looked up the archived review of KotR '96 to see what the Observer said. They mention the promo, but it's a wee bit understated, I think.

7. Austin beat Roberts in 4:28 to win King of the Ring. The storyline was that Roberts
was working on badly injured ribs. Ironically it was Austin who was hurt legit as he
needed 15 or 16 stitches in the tongue and mouth (done backstage at the building, not in
the hospital as was said on television). Austin worked the ribs for about 3:00 and Gorilla
Monsoon came in to stop the match. Roberts begged for him to let it go, which he did. At
this point they got a lot of heat and Roberts made a quick comeback before being cut off.
Austin got the pin with the Stone Cold Stunner and did a strong post-match interview
knocking Roberts religion and drinking problems. 

2 hours ago, DDR said:

The Austin 3:16 promo is legendary, no doubt. It's on any list of the best promos in wrestling history. But I was curious as to its reception at the time. So I looked up the archived review of KotR '96 to see what the Observer said. They mention the promo, but it's a wee bit understated, I think.

7. Austin beat Roberts in 4:28 to win King of the Ring. The storyline was that Roberts
was working on badly injured ribs. Ironically it was Austin who was hurt legit as he
needed 15 or 16 stitches in the tongue and mouth (done backstage at the building, not in
the hospital as was said on television). Austin worked the ribs for about 3:00 and Gorilla
Monsoon came in to stop the match. Roberts begged for him to let it go, which he did. At
this point they got a lot of heat and Roberts made a quick comeback before being cut off.
Austin got the pin with the Stone Cold Stunner and did a strong post-match interview
knocking Roberts religion and drinking problems. 

True of most every significant moment. It's rare that you really understand how important or great something is in the moment. 

On the fifth episode of Lucha Underground, and that Johnny Nitro/Morrison/Mundo leap into the ring is a hell of a thing.