Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ice_Cap

WWE WrestleMania 33: 2 April 2017

443 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Cujo said:

Happy March 16th, fellas!

21nqgwo.gif

One of the most anticipated moves in wrestling history, and it's sloppily executed and terribly sold, HOWEVER, Vince going into convulsions makes up for it ten fold.

3 people like this

Anyone else excited for Southpaw Regional Wrestling on the Network?

Luke Gallows mentioned him doing a character he's been doing for over a decade...I really, really hope we get to see Sex Ferguson.

2 people like this

6 hours ago, DDR said:

The Austin 3:16 promo is legendary, no doubt. It's on any list of the best promos in wrestling history. But I was curious as to its reception at the time. So I looked up the archived review of KotR '96 to see what the Observer said. They mention the promo, but it's a wee bit understated, I think.

7. Austin beat Roberts in 4:28 to win King of the Ring. The storyline was that Roberts
was working on badly injured ribs. Ironically it was Austin who was hurt legit as he
needed 15 or 16 stitches in the tongue and mouth (done backstage at the building, not in
the hospital as was said on television). Austin worked the ribs for about 3:00 and Gorilla
Monsoon came in to stop the match. Roberts begged for him to let it go, which he did. At
this point they got a lot of heat and Roberts made a quick comeback before being cut off.
Austin got the pin with the Stone Cold Stunner and did a strong post-match interview
knocking Roberts religion and drinking problems. 

Understated contemporary observations are the WON's bread and butter. 

Hard to blame Meltzer either. I mean how was he supposed to know that one promo would change the course of wrestling history?

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Shumway said:

Luke Gallows mentioned him doing a character he's been doing for over a decade...I really, really hope we get to see Sex Ferguson.

Yeah I'm pretty pumped for it. Hoping we get Sex Ferguson and Style's doing Nature Hoot, and then hopefully SRW becomes so popular it replaces Raw.

1 person likes this

So the masses want Roman to turn heel, but he's already getting booed out of every arena and jeered by most fans.

But with such strong nuclear heat, isn't he already the bad guy or the villain?

If he turns, people will start to cheer him. But wouldn't being beloved defeat the purpose of a good antagonist?

64921539.jpg

1 person likes this

40 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Understated contemporary observations are the WON's bread and butter. 

Hard to blame Meltzer either. I mean how was he supposed to know that one promo would change the course of wrestling history?

Not blaming him. Just found it interesting that it was just a footnote to the review, a "strong post-match interview."

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, habsfan1 said:

So the masses want Roman to turn heel, but he's already getting booed out of every arena and jeered by most fans.

But with this much nuclear heat, isn't he already the bad guy or the villain?

If he turns, people will start to cheer him. But wouldn't being beloved defeat the purpose of a good antagonist?

64921539.jpg

I can't speak for all of the masses (are they unwashed?), but it's not that I need to see heel Roman Reigns. For me it's that I really don't want to see the Roman Reigns that they're currently presenting. 

I don't know that fans in 1997 were demanding a heel Rocky Maivia. They just hated the character so badly they were chanting "Die, Rocky Die" (and they did NOT mean "Thee Rock. Thee."). So WWE turned him heel because as a face he wasn't working. 

That's what it is for me. Roman Reigns turning heel is just the most realistic means to "not seeing THIS Roman Reigns" anymore because he's not going anywhere. And for THIS Roman Reigns to get over as a babyface I think he'd have to kayfabe medically clear Daniel Bryan to wrestle again and shoot Superman Punch Stephanie McMahon in the throat so hard she can never speak again.

2 people like this

I think Reigns is perfectly capable of being a big star for WWE. I would love to see him be heel in the sense that he's just a dick to everybody and overly cocky. He could be the monster heel we all want. He's got the look, he's not bad in the ring at all. They just need to do a better job with his character and booking. 

3 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I think Reigns is perfectly capable of being a big star for WWE. I would love to see him be heel in the sense that he's just a dick to everybody and overly cocky. He could be the monster heel we all want. He's got the look, he's not bad in the ring at all. They just need to do a better job with his character and booking. 

He also comes off as kind of cocky and aloof, and looks highly punchable.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Shumway said:

Or it's the Good Brother, which is classic.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Brass said:

Or it's the Good Brother, which is classic.

I saw you posted this, and was like "I've seen this at least 10 times."

So, I watched it again.

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

He's not getting the good kind of boos.  His heat is closer to x-pac heat than true heel heat.

People are booing WWE for putting him in front of them just as much as they are booing Reigns personally.

I think that with some improvement in his wrestling (he might be among the worst on the roster, and that's not hyperbole) he does have what it takes to be a star, but the fans want it to develop organically, not be manufactured and artificially pushed.  

Going heel is kind of a "shortcut" because IMO it's easier to be a heel than a face (for most people at least) because you get more freedom and can lash out at fans or just bring out all of your frustrations.  Let him be arrogant, cocky, jerkish, etc.  Let him beat people to within an inch of their life and then kick them once more for good measure.  Get him out of his silly outfit and let him be more like his true self (not that I have any idea what that's like.)

IMO, the heel turn is his only chance to make it.  The difference between him and Rocky is that for as much as he was initially pushed, at the end of the day, Rocky was just "a guy", and not someone pushed as a 3-time WHC.  The fans didn't need a heel Rocky, because they didn't care if he just went away altogether.  We know that Reigns isn't going anywhere, that's why we need a heel Reigns.  At least people will give him a chance.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I think (insert character name here) is perfectly capable of being a big star for WWE. He's got the look, he's not bad in the ring at all. They just need to do a better job with his character and booking. 

The above could be said by IWC for about two dozen men/women since Cena's debut in 2002.

2 people like this

30 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

The above could be said by IWC for about two dozen men/women since Cena's debut in 2002.

True enough. 

12 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Personally, I just don't want to see roman reigns

2 people like this

This is from CagesideSeats.com

Earlier this week, there were whispers about AJ Styles heading to Monday nights while the longest reigning tag team in WWE history, The New Day, made their way to Team Blue. But a new report from PWInsider (in their subscription-only Elite section, via Wrestling Inc) says there’s a single name which has been a major focus of backstage planning for a draft/trade, and it’s one that will probably surprise a lot of fans...

Roman Reigns.

Allegedly, this is another move designed to help make Reigns the face of the company. With John Cena reportedly taking more time off this Summer to make movies, Roman would literally replace him on SmackDown - at least for a while (the report circulating doesn’t comment on any other potential moves, so it’s unclear if Cena would stay on Tuesdays when he is around).

It would also freshen things up for Reigns, who’s feuded with most of Raw’s top heels, and provide the blue brand with another babyface-type to go with Dean Ambrose (if he remains on SmackDown, that is)

There's definitely a lack of true faces on SD even without Cena leaving. Reigns doesn't really fix that.

I'm okay with Reigns and New Day on Smackdown but I would like to see Styles stay there as well. I'm afraid he'd be the #3 or #4 guy on Raw. If the rumors are true about Vince wanting to move him the Raw, it really says a lot about what regard they have for Styles. Throw in the match with Shane, no matter how much we hate it, and I would say Styles is doing well for himself. If Nakamura goes to Smackdown, they could have themselves a very nice, uncrowded main event scene. 

I can buy Reigns being moved to SDL. They can build towards Reigns-Cena at WM34. I know there's been reports this week of Lesnar-Reigns at WM34 but we've seen that. We haven't seen Reigns-Cena yet. 

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, Wings said:

I can buy Reigns being moved to SDL. They can build towards Reigns-Cena at WM34. I know there's been reports this week of Lesnar-Reigns at WM34 but we've seen that. We haven't seen Reigns-Cena yet. 

I heard the the Lesnar/Reigns rumor as well. Can you imagine if they waste another year pushing Reigns as the top guy?