Do you hate/like teams because of their uniforms

smzimbabwe

Or is it the other way around? You like/hate uniforms because of the team? For me, it's mainly the latter. In my mind, the Cowboys, Rangers, Wazzu, etc. can never look good in my mind because I hate the team. However, can't say the same the other way around, as I absolutely hate the Huskies' black gear. But if a new league springs up, I generally pick which team I'll root for based on how they look, unless there are other considerations I may factor in (I used to live there, I like the QB they signed, etc.)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cheer against teams with bad uniforms (Jags, Bucs, etc.) as I don't want them to see success while wearing something poorly designed. 

On the other hand, I can appreciate good looks from teams I hate (Timbers, Wazu, Oregon) if they look good. Still won't root for them but can admit they look great. 

39 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I cheer against teams with bad uniforms (Jags, Bucs, etc.) as I don't want them to see success while wearing something poorly designed. 

On the other hand, I can appreciate good looks from teams I hate (Timbers, Wazu, Oregon) if they look good. Still won't root for them but can admit they look great. 

im in the same camp. i think i'm good at separating design and personal feelings about the team/brand, but i definitely wish defeat on poor uniforms

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Honestly, yes, I will hate teams for how they look or what brand they wear. My number one example, ASU, already hated because of the rivalry, but now their terrible adidas uniforms fuel it even more. I also dislike the Jags just because of unis.

a2BRS8U.png

Any teams I truly hate is based on the team, not the uniforms. But there are some teams I don't like and it's based on uniforms in large part for some of them (especially those teams with some form of teal in their color scheme). Basically, any franchises that were born in the '90s or rebranded (Titans, Ravens) are on my crap list because of awful uniforms and/or identities.

I wouldn't choose navy (or even black) pinstripes for any ball team I play on because of the Yankees.  Wouldn't cheer for any team that looks similar to the Yankees.

I still cheered for the Sabres in their goat & slug years but most of my Sabres merchandise would be the design from their original years.

If I'm picking teams is a sport secondary to me or league secondary to me uniform design would rank up their in my choice of who to cheer for.

One thing I dislike is people's love for a uniform when a team wins a championship or championships in it and the design is subpar; guess what we're going to be stuck looking at for a long time to come.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

No, I can't hate a team because they have :censored:ty laundry. The teams I don't like tend to have pretty good designs actually. Steelers, colts and ravens are all fairly good looking. Lakers, warriors look pretty good. Penguins look a lot better now than they did last year. Yankees are a classic, boring but a classic. Now I'm kinda a fan of the jags because I'm from the area so they hold a small part in my heart.

I liked some teams because of uniforms when I was a kid.  Not so much any more.  

For it the most part I have separated uniforms from rooting, though I do find that I don't like to see success after a change I don't like ( such as the Orioles cartoon bird or the Leafs recent change, both of which are unpopular opinions).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

46 minutes ago, cheo25 said:

Any teams I truly hate is based on the team, not the uniforms. But there are some teams I don't like and it's based on uniforms in large part for some of them (especially those teams with some form of teal in their color scheme). Basically, any franchises that were born in the '90s or rebranded (Titans, Ravens) are on my crap list because of awful uniforms and/or identities.

That actually brings up a good question. Would you play as the early-2000s Devil Rays in OOTP?

Honestly, and I know that this opinion is the minority opinion around here, any team that uses teal. Didn't like it in the 90's and still don't care for it. Looks incredibly dated to me. Jacksonville is the only team that came close to pulling it off.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

1 hour ago, selby56 said:

As a Browns fan, I think the Steelers having a logo on only one side of the helmet is pointless. Have it on both, or don't have it at all. 

I never understood this... YOUR LOGO IS ROUND! It's not like everything will be skewered because you have the logo on the opposite side of the helmet... Other teams have that problem... The Red Wings logo on the ASG helmets looked awful. I then realized why they wear wordmarks on their helmets... 

The Steelers logo on both sides would look like the Packers or the Bears...

The Red Wings gets super messed up however...

Spoiler

Logo on the Left Side

gettyimages-633021294.jpg

Logo on the right side

9846435-nhl-nhl-all-star-game-850x560.jp

Also, if I don't really care about either team in a strong way, then it's definitely the uniforms... 

For example, personally, if it's the Flames playing the Blackhawks... Go Flames 11 times out of 10... 

But if it's the 49ers vs. the Jags... Go 49ers 9 times out of 10. (The other time being the time the 49ers need to lose for the Vikes to make the playoffs. Theoretically) 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I'm a fan of the Vikings and Red Wings partly because I liked their uniforms as a kid, when I'm from neither city. But I can't say I hate any teams because of their uniforms.

Although I sometimes hope a team never wins in a bad uniform for fear that they'll keep it around just because they won in it.

I'm by no means a fan of the team, but I like the Texans strictly because of their logo. I also have a soft spot for their battle red ensemble. 

On the flip side, I stopped liking the Ducks when they dropped the Mighty and switched to their current identity. Doesn't even feel like the same franchise to me anymore. 

Archived