Do you hate/like teams because of their uniforms

smzimbabwe

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ordinarily no, but if a team has a color in their name and routinely wears a non-school color (usually black) in place of said color, then I'll root against them, because that's just stupid. It's pretty much an epidemic in college hoops: Duke Black Devils, Stanford Black, North Texas Mean Black, Niagara Black, St. Francis Black Flash, Tulane Black Wave have all been examples I've seen in the last few years. I'll give Texas Tech a pass because black is actually a school color for them.

i think it's also worth noting that when the 1948 Rams team ran onto the field for the first time with these helmets (first ever custom painted NFL helmets), it's reported that the crowd gave them a standing ovation. i don't think the crowd would have done that for a 6-6 team (the previous year's record) if it weren't for the helmet. . .

los-angeles-rams-classic-helmet.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I can see how a liking for a team's looks can start a long-time interest in said team.

I was a little old for the Mighty Ducks, Sharks and Raptors, but man, I can remember my kids and nephews/nieces jumping on their band-wagons solely because of the names.

They still have an interest in those teams.

I'm not an NFL guy, but my favourite team would have to be the Rams, and, admittedly, it's an interest that started many years ago solely because of their helmets.

(My vote's for the yellow and blue, btw).

On 3/10/2017 at 6:40 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

I used to love this team based on their uniform...

ap921120142571.jpg?itok=HVlbsyUj&timesta

Growing up in San Diego, I used to hate them because in the late 70s they were the only team wearing black cleats which I felt made them look slow and old fashioned. 

I've always cheered for my home teams (and, eventually, my university) and while I don't love every uniform choice they've ever made (I'm looking at you, Timberwolves), it does not impact my level of fandom.  I'm always taken aback when, even on a board like this, someone says "I'm done with them" after their favorite team makes a bad uniform change.

That said, uniforms can creep into what neutral teams I cheer for or against.  When I was a kid, I usually had a handful of "second tier" teams.  My next two NFL teams were the Bengals and Bucs, and that was definitely for the tiger helmet and the orange, respectively.  I liked the Red Wings (in the '80s when they were bad) for the same reason. I also was a bit down on some teams with uniforms I did not like.  These include the Raiders and Lions (both uniforms that I ended up eventually liking).

Eventually, though, I just sort of "grew out of" having second favorite teams.  Now I tend to cheer for teams with long-suffering fanbases, former Wisconsin Badgers, or some player that I like.  I don't think I ever cheer "for" uniforms anymore.  But this topic made me think of the degree to which uniforms matter in my cheering for otherwise-neutral teams.  And while I don't really cheer "for" uniforms, I do cheer "against" them somewhat.  For example, I'd like to see a Canadian team win a cup, but I have absolutely no affinity for the Senators and I think it's because "ugh, more black and red."  Similarly, I have less affinity for the Devils than I did in the green days, the Bengals vs. the nice jersey days, the Bucs vs. the creamsicle days, etc.  But for the most part, I am not really cheering against those teams either; there's just a bit less interest.

However, I do sometimes cheer against teams that make a change I don't like.  The Orioles, after going to the cartoon bird (which I hate), for example.  I am aware that most of their success comes with that logo and so I did not want them getting right in the playoffs year 1 with it.  Similarly the Leafs because I loved the Ballard (?) Leaf (though I know that's never coming back).  But those situations are rare and I think for the most part, I've separated uniforms from rooting.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I like sports to look good and I want every team to be wearing their best possible uniform. If a team wins in a bad look they are more likely to hang onto it. If a stench of stink can be attached to a look then they're more likely to dump it for something better. So yes I will often find myself rooting against the team in the bad uniform, unless they're playing a team I don't like. 

Take the Jaguars. When I was a kid I used to love the Jaguars. They were good and they had cool players and I knew nothing about Jacksonville, but I thought the name sounded cool and I liked how the Jaguars were their only pro team, but really their uniforms with the shiny black helmets, slick logos, teal jerseys and the gold accents that glowed in the sun were just so attractive. Now, though, I hope they lose every game. I want that ridiculous helmet to become so associated with losing that they destroy it and nobody ever tries to do anything like that again.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 3/11/2017 at 6:03 AM, DanPoplawski said:

I live in New England and HATE the Patriots only because I hate the colors and logo. Go back to Patriot Pat and we'll talk. I have been a Rams fan for 50 yrs, all because of the cool helmet, not fond of the gold, glad it going away.

Given their success, in recent years, I'll be a little surprised if the Patriots change logos in the next 30 years.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Early on, before the Rays came into existence I was an Astros fan if only for the look of the 90s Blue and Gold identity.  I have no ties to Texas other than having a cousin who lives there.

Stuck with them thru about 2006 while co-supporting the Rays.  I then kinda lost touch with the Astros when Bagwell left and went diehard with my Tampa teams (Bolts, Bucs, Rays)

I like teams based on their location, players, rivals and other similar factors (I like the Steelers, Penguins, and Pirates because I'm from Pittsburgh. I like the Celtics 'cause I originally hated the Lakers). I usually do not factor in a team's colors.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:25 AM, Brandon9485 said:

I dislike the Washington Redskins because of their uniform.

Bro...that's the best part of their identity. Oh well, to each their own.

NSFCvyu.png

Think of it this way: appearance is the first step in appeal. When you're attracted to another person, usually their appearance is the first thing you notice, or are drawn to. Same goes with food; you eat with your eyes first. I could even argue video games. Why do most pick up a video game? They saw a trailer, demo, or design element that they were attracted to. The same can be said for sports teams. You are first physically drawn to the appearance of the uniforms or logos and then to the play of the team. 

Hell, I like the Minnesota Wild to this day, 90% based on their astounding logo. 

On 3/11/2017 at 5:46 AM, Bayne said:

Its completely arbitrary. It's just a bunch of colours and shapes. 

Anybody who puts more value in this kind of stuff beyond just a casual appreciation and enjoyment at seeing something nicely designed needs to have their world perspective realigned.

Read the room dude!

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Yes, grew up a die hard Clippers fan. Been a fan since the Elton Brand-Darius Miles-Lamar Odom days. However, I haven't watched a game in it's entirety since Balmer commissioned the Brooklyn Nets to ruin their identity. I've even began to root against them in the playoffs because I don't want them to win a ring in those ugly ass uniforms. $2 billion dollars, I think he could afford a top notch designer....Even though the previous uniforms were not the problem

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

12 hours ago, DeFrank said:

Read the room dude!

I love this stuff as much as the next guy/gal but I'm not delusion enough to think that it means anything beyond a fleeting material infatuation. I stand by my comment.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 3/13/2017 at 4:57 PM, hawk36 said:

I am a born and raised San Diego Padres fan who officially stopped being a fan this year because of this uniform. Not bad in a vacuum but the final straw in a long line of straws that broke the camel's back.

NEW_JERSEY.jpeg 

This looks like a generic uniform you'd see a mom washing in a tide commercial 

2 hours ago, Bayne said:

I love this stuff as much as the next guy/gal but I'm not delusion enough to think that it means anything beyond a fleeting material infatuation. I stand by my comment.

And this "fleeting material infatuation" is less important than the other things people base fandom on?  Civic pride, the team your dad raised you to cheer for, your favorite player... how are any of these things more true, more important, more "real" than aesthetic appreciation?  All sports fandom... repeat, ALL sports fandom is fleeting infatuation.  They wear your city's name on their shirts?  Not if the billionaire who owns them moves them next week.  The team your father/uncle/grandfather loved?  I bet there's a lot of things they tried to pass on to you that you rejected.  And hero worship of an untitled 21 year old who wouldn't bother himself to acknowledge your very existence, and will leave at the first chance for more money?  If there is a more childish reason to devote yourself to a team, I haven't heard it.  

If you think basing your choice of favorite teams on their uniforms is childish and/or stupid, fine.  I'm not even sure I can argue.  But I'm still waiting for someone to offer up a reason that's any better. 

Archived