Do you hate/like teams because of their uniforms

smzimbabwe

On 18/03/2017 at 0:30 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

And this "fleeting material infatuation" is less important than the other things people base fandom on?  Civic pride, the team your dad raised you to cheer for, your favorite player... how are any of these things more true, more important, more "real" than aesthetic appreciation?  All sports fandom... repeat, ALL sports fandom is fleeting infatuation.  They wear your city's name on their shirts?  Not if the billionaire who owns them moves them next week.  The team your father/uncle/grandfather loved?  I bet there's a lot of things they tried to pass on to you that you rejected.  And hero worship of an untitled 21 year old who wouldn't bother himself to acknowledge your very existence, and will leave at the first chance for more money?  If there is a more childish reason to devote yourself to a team, I haven't heard it.  

If you think basing your choice of favorite teams on their uniforms is childish and/or stupid, fine.  I'm not even sure I can argue.  But I'm still waiting for someone to offer up a reason that's any better. 

Ok so it's ALL childish! I'll accept that.

I'm coming back to this..

How the hell can you compare the significance of growing up following a team based on all the factors that you put forward, with team colours and logos? I'm not saying civic pride, family history, player appreciation, team culture etc are in and of themselves are the very bastions of why you should pledge allegiance to a sporting team, but to say that they are of equal importance to thinking that "they have a nice colour-scheme" is downright misguided and delusional. You either think that a logo, which some independent, non-partisan contract designer with more than likely no investment in the team, sat down for a few days and drew up for a generous sum of money is AS significant as the human connection you so often get from choosing to follow the same team that your family line has and all the memories and bonds that have been created and built over the years..... OR you don't value/understand what true emotional relationships with people their conjoining team is really all about.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a legitimate big-time fan per se, but I've always taken a big liking and interest to Paris Saint-Germain in general because of their kits. I've always loved the vertical red stripe down the chest (and its different variations over the years). 

IMG_5908.JPG

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Picked the jags based on their uniforms. Been a fan ever since.... And then all of Philadelphia.... Also picked hawthorn and Tottenham based on the fact that they were the best dressed teams in their leagues

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Archived