Best mlb uniforms

Rj0498

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Solaris said:

Best ever?

Yankees.

I don't think that's something we can really debate.

The mismatching interlocking-NYs disqualify the Yankees from this debate.

because you have no idea what I'm talking about ⬇

yankeelogos.png

6uXNWAo.png

16 minutes ago, Cujo said:

The mismatching interlocking-NYs disqualify the Yankees from this debate.

yankeelogos.png

Each one works best in their respective usage. The cap and print logos would be far too thin on the jersey, and the jersey logo would be far too thick on the cap. I would be fine with using a smoothed-out version of the cap logo in print, but I think the existing print logo looks superior in that medium.

Plus, the NY on the jersey is more or less a bold version of the cap NY. They work together in perfect harmony, and looks natural next to one another.

It's like the Tigers' D logos - they each serve their own purpose perfectly, while coming together very well.

5 minutes ago, kroywen said:

Best uniforms no longer in use:

tony_perez_1969_06_01.jpg

51642732_10.jpg

gallery_6715_90_12174.jpg

26550241193_01f7b00af3_o.jpg

AstrosShootingStarUniform020815.jpg

ernie-banks-hof.jpg

And while not one of the best MLB uniforms ever, the best in the Diamondbacks' franchise history (an admittedly low bar):

3098135.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFBA4

The more I see the awesomeness of those old reds unis the more I wish they never added black

1 minute ago, Rj0498 said:

The more I see the awesomeness of those old reds unis the more I wish they never added black

The black really detracts from the simple beauty of red-on-white. It's a completely unnecessary addition that only muddles the wordmark and logo. Without the black, the red pops out from the white background and grabs your attention. With the black, it just looks dark and fails to jump out at you.

Throw some simple red placket piping and sleeve piping on that uniform Tony Perez is wearing above, and you'd have the platonic ideal of a Reds uniform, IMO. Or leave it as-is, and you'd still have a great looking jersey.

And the best road uniforms in baseball:

Minnesota+Twins+v+Cleveland+Indians+DSI6

(I think these are terribly underrated. The "Minnesota" script is beautiful, and the navy wordmark with red outline is seriously underused throughout baseball.)

Los+Angeles+Dodgers+v+San+Diego+Padres+3

(Really wish the Dodgers would get rid of those unnecessary "Dodgers" road alts.)

65929-004-8DEF7000.jpg

(The lack of a white outline is a thousandfold improvement over their current road uniforms.)

san-francisco-giants-world-series.jpg

(The piping here is a thousand times better than the current piping.)

1133b_lg.jpeg

Manny_Loretta_Youk.jpg

Casey_and_Mickey.jpg

(Simple perfection.)

7 hours ago, kroywen said:

Each one works best in their respective usage. The cap and print logos would be far too thin on the jersey, and the jersey logo would be far too thick on the cap. I would be fine with using a smoothed-out version of the cap logo in print, but I think the existing print logo looks superior in that medium.

Plus, the NY on the jersey is more or less a bold version of the cap NY. They work together in perfect harmony, and looks natural next to one another.

No. No it's a disaster.

Just like the Dallas Cowboys with their 99 variations of silver, the mismatching NYs only get the "legendary" label because they Yankees have won a boatload of titles while wearing them. If a team started up today and pulled this crap, everyone on the boards would be having a heart attack.

6uXNWAo.png

5 hours ago, Cujo said:

No. No it's a disaster.

Just like the Dallas Cowboys with their 99 variations of silver, the mismatching NYs only get the "legendary" label because they Yankees have won a boatload of titles while wearing them. If a team starting up today and pulled this crap, everyone on the boards would be having a heart attack.

Yeah, I don't think NYY fans especially care that the logos are different.

Anyways, the Yankees still have the best uniform. It's sleek, classy and iconic.

The fact the logos are different really doesn't mean the jersey is a bad jersey, you're just nitpicking a bit.

Outside of Yankees, the next best would probably be in my opinion the Giants or maybe Dodgers.

13 hours ago, kroywen said:
13 hours ago, Cujo said:

yankeelogos.png

I'd say that the print NY logo serves no purpose, and is very ugly.  The cap logo could fulfill that role.

By the way, for a few years in the early 1970s, the print logo replaced the traditional cap logo on the caps.  And it looked terrible.

107521778.jpg 112180.jpg

This cap was in use from approximately 1971 through 1975.  By 1976, the cap logo was restored.  Compare these two photos of Thurman Munson from 1975 and 1976:

20170312_140707.jpg  20170312_140634.jpg

So, for me, the print logo should be dropped entirely.  The flares at the ends of the letters clutter the logo up.  Also, the Y looks misplaced, and does not extend far enough down.

And I agree that the jersey logo is just a bolder version of the cap logo.  In this respect, this is different to the Tigers' situation, in which the cap logo and the jersey logo are designed according to different specifications.

If the Yankees got rid of the goofy and useless print logo, no one would think that they had multiple varying NYs.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

13 hours ago, kroywen said:

And the best road uniforms in baseball:

Minnesota+Twins+v+Cleveland+Indians+DSI6

(I think these are terribly underrated. The "Minnesota" script is beautiful, and the navy wordmark with red outline is seriously underused throughout baseball.)

These are pretty bad because the letters float above the underline at various heights.  The M is pretty close to it, but the "es" is way above it, but then the t is close to it again.  It's like there's an arc that shouldn't be there. Annoying as hell.  I don't think it's in the official art file either...just real jerseys.

You can see it here too:  http://www.fanatics.com/MLB_Minnesota_Twins_Jerseys/Minnesota_Twins_Majestic_Road_Flex_Base_Authentic_Collection_Custom_Jersey_-_Gray

https://athlonsports.com/sites/athlonsports.com/files/styles/article_top_img/public/JoeMauer_2015_Minnesota_preview.jpg?itok=m10m_8cM

Here too:  

twins_jerseys.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVER

And on the alternate: http://images.footballfanatics.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productImages/_2327000/ff_2327897_full.jpg&w=340

Interestingly...it's not on this jersey, which has the letters almost right on the underline, like the replica jersey has it.  After looking at other pictures, I think Majestic may have fixed the issue in 2016.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHAi8X6ajES-j5l6G7hRh

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 3/12/2017 at 10:21 PM, Rj0498 said:

Forgot to mention these. Very underated. The shade of purple used is awesome, I love the pinstripes and the road looks just as good

9495953-nolan-arenado-stu-cole-mlb-chicago-cubs-colorado-rockies-850x560.jpg

usa-today-9229649.0.jpg

The home jersey is great, but the road isn't that good.  Letters are too thin, and there's really no need for a two outlines on the wordmark or the numbers.  Just go with a black or white outline, not both.  The late 90s road set with "Rockies" in purple outlined in white was better than what they have now, so if they'd just remove the black outline on these ^^ it'd be an improvement.

I wish the purple jerseys said "Rockies".  The 1993 alternate jerseys that were black with "Rockies" were pretty nice too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived