Lacrosse question

4_tattoos

During my commute home from work I pass a field where some youth lacrosse program practices. Boys on one side of the field and girls on the other side. I notice all of the boy LAX players wearing full helmets, while the girls only wear eye guards (don't know if that's the correct term for that piece of equipment).

At the moment I'm watching a college women's lacrosse game on TV (Maryland vs Syracuse). I notice the only players wearing full helmets are the goalies, while the rest of the players just wearing the eye guards.

Is there any reason why helmets are not worn in women's/girls lacrosse? Personally knowing of a handful of dudes that have had their bells seriously rung playing lacrosse with helmets, I cringe seeing female players out there without them. What's the deal?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Basically, then rules of games are MUCH different. The game isn't as physical as body checking is illegal in WLAX but concussions are prevalent.  The rules on stick length is different too.

In fact,  women's LAX had no true "out of bounds", a hard boundary until a decade ago.

http://laxworld.com/lacrosse-blog/2014/10/difference-between-mens-womens-lacrosse/

*- In a previous life, I was a college intramural/sport club director. I had to get an extra color of paint to line our fields for WLAX and recall talking with the club leaders over the rules changes.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Basically, then rules of games are MUCH different. The game isn't as physical as body checking is illegal in WLAX but concussions are prevalent.  The rules on stick length is different too.

In fact,  women's LAX had no true "out of bounds", a hard boundary until a decade ago.

http://laxworld.com/lacrosse-blog/2014/10/difference-between-mens-womens-lacrosse/

*- In a previous life, I was a college intramural/sport club director. I had to get an extra color of paint to line our fields for WLAX and recall talking with the club leaders over the rules changes.

also in womens lacross there is a "halo" around the players heads that sticks cant enter or get penalized.

4 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Any chance of women's lacrosse adopting the men's rules one day?

definitely not, womens hockey doesn't even follow the same rules as men, its a lot closer and where I could see womens lacross heading where they adopt most if not all of the same equipment, but no way will they allow they same physicality that is allowed in the mens game.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

definitely not, womens hockey doesn't even follow the same rules as men, its a lot closer and where I could see womens lacross heading where they adopt most if not all of the same equipment, but no way will they allow they same physicality that is allowed in the mens game.

*reads this after just having watched brutal women's MMA highlights on youtube*

:rolleyes: 

You'd think there'd be women's lacrosse (and apparently hockey) advocates demanding the same exact rules as the men. But what do I know? I'm just a guy that randomly tuned it to a lacrosse game on a Saturday afternoon -_-

Hotter Than July > Thriller

17 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

You'd think there'd be women's lacrosse (and apparently hockey) advocates demanding the same exact rules as the men. But what do I know? I'm just a guy that randomly tuned it to a lacrosse game on a Saturday afternoon -_-

They might, but they'd just argue for the men's game to be modified into the women's game.

20 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

there are some people, as @Sykotyk referenced, that believe the womens game and womens rules are superior to the mens game.

me? just thrown them inside, give them hockey type helmets, and let them play

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 3/13/2017 at 0:20 AM, GeorgeDubya said:

It's a really strange difference. The girls game relies more on finesse, and little hitting. I find mens lacrosse to be much more entertaining, but I love the sport regardless.

It's similar in women's hockey. The game showcases skill and movement in a way the men's doesn't. Primarily due to the lesser degree of contact allowed.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived