Updated Aldi logo

21 posts in this topic

Aldi is going against the grain and bringing back shine while everybody else is going flat.

Old:

403?cb=20130226102548

New:

ALDI-New-Logo.jpg

1 person likes this

I like the overall design better, but as usual, gradients suck.

3 people like this

42 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

I like the overall design better, but as usual, gradients suck.

Pretty much my thoughts. The design would be an upgade, but the gradients ruin it, especially that random diagonal one. At least the ones on the stylized A make sense.

1 person likes this

Gradients make the logo worse than before, but the A is better when stylized.

Neither logo is very friendly, which is what I'd think you'd want to go for in their kind of business.  They look like evil corporation logos, not cheap food store.

1 person likes this

The gradients ruin the logo... 

They've been doing some major remodeling of Aldi stores around here, including one that just opened four weeks ago. Surprised this hadn't appeared on any of them yet.

They had the old logo for almost 40 years. There was no need to change it. This just looks like a different kind of outdated.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Neither logo is very friendly, which is what I'd think you'd want to go for in their kind of business.  They look like evil corporation logos, not cheap food store.

Aldi commercials made me cry as a baby because the logo was rendered as sort of a slamming door.

10 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

They've been doing some major remodeling of Aldi stores around here, including one that just opened four weeks ago. Surprised this hadn't appeared on any of them yet.

They had the old logo for almost 40 years. There was no need to change it. This just looks like a different kind of outdated.

Yeah, there is an Aldi store under construction by my house and it is using the old logo, I think this gradient logo might be used for commericals only

19 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I agree, if I was a little kid, that A would scare me to death.

6 hours ago, ImmortalChef said:

Yeah, there is an Aldi store under construction by my house and it is using the old logo, I think this gradient logo might be used for commericals only

I have 2 near me, both are remodeling, but neither are using the new logo.

18 hours ago, the admiral said:

Aldi commercials made me cry as a baby because the logo was rendered as sort of a slamming door.

I've never seen an Aldi commercial.  I occasionally saw their stores, but never knew what they were until a couple of years ago.  They can't use lowercase?  Isn't that a THING now?

Just read the wikipedia article - it's a fascinating company.  The founding brothers are the richest men in germany (one is #1, the other is right behind), the company is actually two - Aldi North and Aldi South, and they own Trader Joe's (though technically keep it a separate entity.)  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

Aldi South on the left, North and US on the right:

150px-AldiNord-WorldwideLogo.svg.png  150px-AldiWorldwideLogo.svg.png

There it is. That ending was very traumatic for me, I guess. Sounds a little like Paul Heyman doing the v/o.

1 person likes this

I remember when our family budget was tight so we would go to places like Save-a-lot or ALDI. Looking back, it's a weird place. You have to bag your own groceries in bags that you also have to pay for, unless you being your own or steal boxes while walking through the store.

I have a few friends at the college who make the quick 10-minute trip up the interstate to an ALDI's because, let's face it, we're all broke college kids.

It serves its purpose, although it's been forever since I've been in one or traded quarters with some stranger for their grocery cart.

Their frozen pizzas weren't too bad though, I will give them that. If I remember correctly, they used to carry only generic-brand products for the longest time but now carry both name brand and store brand. I don't know when the switch occurred, but I've been told it's been a little while. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

There it is. That ending was very traumatic for me, I guess. Sounds a little like Paul Heyman doing the v/o.

Jeez, that would scare me to death if I was a little kid

59 minutes ago, mr.nascar13 said:

I remember when our family budget was tight so we would go to places like Save-a-lot or ALDI. Looking back, it's a weird place. You have to bag your own groceries in bags that you also have to pay for, unless you being your own or steal boxes while walking through the store.

If you travel a lot, you'll see that's actually normal.  Many countries (mostly in Europe, though I've also seen it in a few places in Japan) encourage you to use reusable bags by charging a few cents if you need to buy plastic bags.  Whenever I travel, I always pack a reusable shopping bag.  I usually keep using it at home for a few days while I'm still in the habit, then I go back to being a lazy wasteful North American.

You have to pay for grocery bags in California. But I'm very cheap, so I just carried bags and bags of spice drops in my hands. 

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

That DOES sound like Paul Heyman!

Awful, but I don't go to Aldi for the logo, I go for the cheap groceries and delicious frozen pizza

Why did they have to mess things up with the gradient?  It would have been a huge upgrade otherwise :(

1 person likes this