Balu the Bare

Gridiron League of America: 2012 Gem City Diamonds

So here is my first original concept for the boards! Feel free to give any pointers or tips and any suggestions to help improve my work. I'm currently using Inkscape after sketching my ideas out on paper. I would appreciate any feedback on any part of this concept. Particularly a good/better team name for Lexington.

from the wikipedia page

The Gridiron League of America (GLA) is a professional women's indoor American football league played in the spring and summer months. The GLA was announced in 2007, but did not have it's inaugural season until 2010. 

The League is somewhat similar to the Arena and Indoor Football Leagues, the only major differences being the lack of rebound nets and the slight variations on the uniforms worn by the players [think Starship Troopers, not LFL]. As of 2010 it is the only professional women's arena style football league in the United States.

Gridiron League Logo 2010 PNG.png

History

The concept of the GLA originated from the popularity of the Lingerie Bowl in 2006 and the overwhelming number of amateur and professional level 11-on-11 women's football leagues operating nationwide. In 2007, a meeting was held by former players and coaches from the USFL, the NFL, and the Independent Women's Football League to discuss the feasibility of a professional women's indoor football league akin to the popular Arena Football League that would not only be more family friendly than the Lingerie Bowls, but would also "raise the standard of professional women's football in every way possible." This meeting resulted in the formation of the North American Gridiron Association. A subsequent meeting renamed the organization to the Gridiron league of America, hired Makenna Carr as league president, and finalized the 8 teams that would make up the new league. The 14 week, round-robin style season was scheduled to begin in 2010. The three years would be used to train players, coaches, and referees for the league, to gain sponsorship deals, to secure facilities, to draft players teams, and to build hype for the new league.  

Teams

The First 8 teams were chosen for their proximity to each other and their smaller venues for play, not for their market size.

Columbus Spirit

Fort Wayne Defenders

Memphis Blues

Kentucky Racers

Gals of Kalamazoo

Dayton Gems

Lexington Fillies

Knoxville Hounds 

I am really excited for this..

Interesting. Do you have a blank jersey so we can see what to expect on that front?

9 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

Interesting. Do you have a blank jersey so we can see what to expect on that front?

Not yet, no, but I am working on it.

might wanna play with that logo more.

about the only thing it expresses graphically is something american. nothing about women, football, or indoors. not that you need -all- of that expressed in the logo but it has a pretty generic aim right now.

The template I was looking for didn't really exist and I'm having a lot of trouble getting this one to look the way I want it to. I have this so far. It's LewJ's pro combat paint template Frankenstein'd onto a women's Tshirt template. Any suggestions or can I just roll with it?

GLA template.png

7 hours ago, Balu the Bare said:

The template I was looking for didn't really exist and I'm having a lot of trouble getting this one to look the way I want it to. I have this so far. It's LewJ's pro combat paint template Frankenstein'd onto a women's Tshirt template. Any suggestions or can I just roll with it?

GLA template.png

Use a regular football template and photoshop it to make it curvier or just use this but remove all the lines

Raise the shoulders to make it look like the shoulder pads are there, and maybe lighten the interior lines a bit. It looks a little like a suit of armor with them being so heavy. 

Here's the version with the lighter interior lines as Veras suggested. I also made the image a bit smaller.

GLA template v2.png

I think I need to mess with the collar a bit, but that might be beyond my skill set right now.

That's a nice start. Standard pants and helmets?

Will this be like the lfl were it will be like arena football or something akin to the  NFL 

9 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

That's a nice start. Standard pants and helmets?

Right now, no. 

8 hours ago, StaatsBrett said:

Will this be like the lfl were it will be like arena football or something akin to the  NFL 

It's more like arena football. 

On 3/14/2017 at 0:48 PM, Commodore Crablegs said:

might wanna play with that logo more.

about the only thing it expresses graphically is something american. nothing about women, football, or indoors. not that you need -all- of that expressed in the logo but it has a pretty generic aim right now.

This issue will be addressed. 

22 minutes ago, StaatsBrett said:

Do you have any  city's picked out yet or arenas

Cities are in the original post. I have arenas picked out, but haven't disclosed them yet.

Seems like An really through system  can't wait to see what you come up with 

So are you gonna do this

19 hours ago, ImmortalChef said:

So are you gonna do this

It's taking a little longer than I'd like and I didn't have a lot of finished product before I posted (the league logo was the furthest I'd gotten), but yes. Expect the first week of the season and the first team up by this coming Tuesday. =)