Balu the Bare

Gridiron League of America: 2012 Knoxville Hounds logo update

On 14/10/2017 at 3:04 AM, Balu the Bare said:

I think you're right on all accounts here. I really want to keep the green, so I'll see if I can get it to work as maybe an accent color, but I think a color change has to happen. Either way a rework is coming and I think I'm just going to drop the secondary. It's not needed at all and I didn't really like it to begin with. 

Thanks for the feedback!

I think the darker green would look alright as a outline colour for the wordmarks, much the way you have it now.

On 10/9/2017 at 4:09 PM, Balu the Bare said:

And by get to the unis I meant redesign the Defenders. I went with a more military insignia style than the old, "slap some letters onto a vaguely fort shape. Kept the fort shape and drew some inspiration from the Indiana Army National Guard insignia and heraldry. Kept the colors the same, though.

59dbd6c674f1e_FTWSbS2012update.png.565a3677f9cbcc60460d222f3e7d7a1f.png

59dbd71aeeb16_2012DefendersStyleV1.0.thumb.png.0482c40a66a6055a61701b81ddb472ff.png

Going to get some more work out as soon as I figure out why my uni template keeps crashing.

I really like the improved Fort logo, not entirely sold on the pheonix/eagle addition though, but great work nevertheless.

Just as a side note, we have an Air National Guard unit here, and the air guard logo is much better and would resonate better with FW natives because they are much more a part of the community than the Army National Guard unit is. 

I didn't change the colors (I really, really, like them and am having a hard time letting them go), but I think they work better for diamonds presented this way. I went with a new secondary as well. I think this one works a lot better. 

59e44116e76e1_2012DiamondsStyleV1.2.thumb.png.a6e0489ed5df2770b608fb1de5d35591.png

1 hour ago, Balu the Bare said:

I didn't change the colors (I really, really, like them and am having a hard time letting them go), but I think they work better for diamonds presented this way. I went with a new secondary as well. I think this one works a lot better. 

59e44116e76e1_2012DiamondsStyleV1.2.thumb.png.a6e0489ed5df2770b608fb1de5d35591.png

That works much better as a Diamonds identity with the white/gray diamond. Whilst it would look even better with blues, I think this is a pretty good compromise.

As I'm still trying to figure out what is actually going on with my uniform template (deleting and re-upping doesn't seem to be helping at all), the Lexington Fillies went with a full bodied horse silhouette to read better on helmets and other merchandise from a distance. 

59ef9fffcd5bb_Filliessidebyside.png.ee628abfdacfc0d2fbadb7230af28e39.png

59efa0161fee6_2012FilliesStyleV1.0.thumb.png.c17d5f9f82620b8f768faabdf582ba4e.png

*Blows dust off* *Looks around* 

Well that was an unintentional hiatus from this project. It kind of started with my not at all liking the Fillies update and the issues I'm -still- having with uniform templates, and then life got in the way and other excuses happened and anyway here's a 2.0 of the Fillies logo.

25gs2uo.jpg

And the side by side with the original

33bplhy.jpg

...it's good to be back.

Fresh off of their Championship season, the Memphis Blues went with a new look with a stylized guitar logo modeled after the one used by Blues queen Memphis Minnie. 

2qlh20w.jpg

k2hhfd.jpg

On 2/1/2018 at 5:28 AM, officerpain138 said:

Wow! I think the blues logo looks awesome! Might be my new favorite! 

Thank you! 

After a few seasons of bottom dwelling, the Kentucky Racers quietly moved to Evansville, Indiana in the hopes that the scenery and image overhaul will improve team performance. 

30c0hsi.jpg

2s6800x.jpg

I really quite like that colour scheme, but what I believe may be metal bolts look kinda like grey mushrooms...

Also what would the wordmark look like in grey instead of yellow? It just seems that the yellow should be more of a tertiary colour, considering the bolts are grey. I'm also not sure on how well the font works. 

But overall a nice colour scheme, that could look really great when cleaned up a bit. It also gets rid of the two horse identities issue. Sign me up for the Evansville fan train!

While I'm here, the Blues font looks a tad thin.

3 hours ago, Melody22B said:

I really quite like that colour scheme, but what I believe may be metal bolts look kinda like grey mushrooms...

Also what would the wordmark look like in grey instead of yellow? It just seems that the yellow should be more of a tertiary colour, considering the bolts are grey. I'm also not sure on how well the font works. 

But overall a nice colour scheme, that could look really great when cleaned up a bit. It also gets rid of the two horse identities issue. Sign me up for the Evansville fan train!

While I'm here, the Blues font looks a tad thin.

Those are supposed to resemble rivets as Evansville was a major producer of the P-47 Thunderbolt during WW2. When I was thinking of team names "Riveters" was at the top of the list with "Thunderbolts," but I felt that "riveters" is a little too on the nose for a female league (not a fan of the NWHL team name based in NY) and in my research I found a minor league hockey team with the name "thunderbolts" (granted they were formed in 2016) and I had already run into that issue with the Gems and didn't want to go through that again so I tried to combine the two ideas. 

...which is a long winded way of saying, 'looking at it with your comments in mind, you make a really good point.' I'll have to revisit the actual logo and font a little later down the line to keep myself from getting hung up on one team for months like i did with Lexington. I've reordered the colors for now (I really like the scheme, too) and threw an alternate font coloring in with the condensed logo. I think you were right.

I'm not happy with the font for the Blues either, but same issue with that as with this one. I'll come back to it. 

acv5s5.jpg

Fair enough, I do the same thing with logos and stuff for the AHBA so, I can't blame you.

That looks much better colouring wise. 

Now that you've explained it, I actually get the idea behind the branding and it works.

Moving on to the Knoxville Hounds. 

I don't remember ever actually posting their logo, but I remember never being happy with the way it turned out...To be honest, I'm not 100% happy with the way this one turned out either, but I think it's an improvement over what they had before so I'm leaving it alone for now. Here's the comparison.

ajxehg.png

And the full look. The dark circle is likely going to go on the helmets, but I'm still having template issues so I haven't decided where or if that version will be used. 

2d0dv6x.jpg

Just Kalamazoo left. I'll hopefully have that up soon.

I love the color scheme for the bolts. At first I didn't get why the name bolts with what appeared to be two bolts. Your explanation helps make it clearer. I'd definitely revisit it in the future when you have more time. The Hounds I feel took a step back. Their logo went from fierce to friendly. Another logo I'd revisit. But overall this is really coming together nicely! 

On 2/12/2018 at 4:10 AM, Balu the Bare said:

After a few seasons of bottom dwelling, the Kentucky Racers quietly bolted to Evansville, Indiana in the hopes that the scenery and image overhaul will improve team performance. 

30c0hsi.jpg

FTFY :P

I'm getting more of a "thunder-mushrooms" vibe from the logo than rivets.  I do like the color scheme though and it is probably your best crafted logo yet.

I agree with officerpain that the Hounds logo looks too friendly.  I think maybe if you used the new dog but in the same pose as the old dog (howling at the moon) you'd get a more dynamic look.

On some of your logosheets a few of the logos look stretched; the Blues in particular stand out as so and it appears you tried to stretch them to fit into their designated spaces.

On 2/18/2018 at 4:11 PM, Kaz said:

FTFY :P

I hadn't even noticed that. :lol:

On 2/18/2018 at 7:26 AM, officerpain138 said:

The Hounds I feel took a step back. Their logo went from fierce to friendly. Another logo I'd revisit. But overall this is really coming together nicely! 

I agree with officerpain that the Hounds logo looks too friendly.  I think maybe if you used the new dog but in the same pose as the old dog (howling at the moon) you'd get a more dynamic look.

I see what you're saying here and tweaked the logo a little bit. Does this help it at all?

2efp91s.jpg

On some of your logosheets a few of the logos look stretched; the Blues in particular stand out as so and it appears you tried to stretch them to fit into their designated spaces.

I was experimenting with the presentation a bit this time, but I set the logos to fit the sheet and not the other way around. You can really tell with some of them so I'll have to change my approach for the next team(s) I do. 

The Gals of Kalamazoo unveiled a new logo for the 2012 season. It had been rumored that the team would change names for the 2012 season onward, but the ownership felt that the team shouldn't change much given their recent success. 

347xpok.jpg

igby54.jpg

You have some good things going here.  I would watch the :censored: out of women's football.

You are much better at uniforms than logos although the Fort Wayne and updated Diamonds are pretty close to perfect.

For Evansville, why are they called the Bolts but you drew rivets?  Add some threading to them and I think you will be there.

I like the Gals a lot, be exciting with the colors.  This is a women's league and there are zero pink teams?

Lastly, transform everything proportionally, your final Filly logo is excellent, and then you put it against the old logo and it's far too tall.  Also, some of the uniform templates are stretched really badly when you use them on a game picture.