Balu the Bare

Gridiron League of America: 2012 Updated League Identity

In a game that was not as close as the final score would indicate, the Memphis Blues Queen B defensive unit simply dominated the game. They would intercept Carlie McCall three times in the first half and managed to hold the Gals to just three points at the break. The Blues' offense recovered after an opening miscue and would find the endzone on 6 of their next 8 possessions. Halfway through the fourth quarter Memphis pulled all of their starters and the Gals scored on their next 2 possessions.  The lone bright spot for Kalamazoo's defense came when Lineman of the Year award winner, Delonda Cross, tipped and intercepted a pass thrown by Memphis backup QB Arianna Hubbard. Cross returned the interception for a touchdown. It was the last score of the game. Rebecca Calhoun's five touchdown pass performance won her Finals MVP. 

59a8d94a109f6_2011JHCup.png.96a9b8f4f61ffa7b4666ffc89c7ed695.png

With the 2011 Jefferson-Hodge Cup Final in the books, teams look ahead to the 2012 season. 

The 2012 off-season began almost immediately after the 2011 postseason ended. Just one week after Memphis' win over Kalamazoo, the GLA unveiled a new logo in an effort to improve brand recognition and marketability. The Unveil would be the first of a league-wide rebranding that would include a name change for one team and the relocation of another. 59b2236503d5b_GLAlogo2012.thumb.png.eb51e35b51270d52bda78cb6032fde22.png 

I'm not completely sold on the way I originally posted the logo so I'm looking for suggestions. I have few variations here, which one is the better option for a re-brand? I threw in a couple of non red-white-blue options, too. Let me know what you think!

GLA logo Color exploration.png

Dan O'Mac    192

The purple and teal is unique and stands out next to the other options to me. 

If you're set on the RWB option, the blue with red outline and football is the best in my opinion.

Melody22B    47

The all orange one reminds me of the WNBA logo, but I do quite like the purple and teal look. 

My personal favourite in the RWB options would be the blue with blue outline and red ball, but the blue with red outline and ball is not too bad. 

Seems to be a lot of love for the  teal and purple option, which my girlfriend appreciates. That combination was her idea. It is definitely the bolder choice, so I think I'll go with that. The question now is...
59b75dfde79a8_GLAlogoColorexplorationTealandPurple.thumb.png.5eef5e69e2d6dbb35debf7d8da99642d.png

...which purple and teal? I personally am a fan of the darker purple, but the lady likes the original. I have one, the other, and combinations of the two. 

Dan O'Mac    192

Middle row, on the right.

Melody22B    47

Logo #1, 2, 5 and 6 are my favourites colour wise so any one of those four I'd like to see.

mnfarmkids    0

Upper right, Lower left

Among the changes for the 2012 season, the first was the league's overhaul of its identity. PlayGLA.com, the league's official website, noted that, "the new logo better represents who we are and what we're trying to accomplish." None of the elements from the previous logo were carried over, instead the league wanted a logo that was "unique to the GLA." The shape of the shield, the silhouette of a player running with the ball, and the colors were all reportedly chosen with that goal in mind. The league also unveiled logos for their newly created Northern and Southern conferences.

59bb7ea4b7c98_GLA2012style.thumb.png.9c8e51942dc80611e0383ca382adc466.png59bb7ec0c2a7d_GLA2012style2.thumb.png.f5f1583269ebb1d6b15d3284e6b86163.png