Balu the Bare

Gridiron League of America

64 posts in this topic

Progress is going much slower than I'd hoped. I was wanting to have a team fully done by today, but life got in the way. I also wanted to update twice a week, but I don't think that'll be possible. Instead, I'll be posting scores and standings once a week and identity packages when they're available. 

So, without further excuses: 

Week 1 - April 4th, 2010.png

Fort Wayne Defenders 32

Columbus Spirit 39

A late fourth quarter touchdown pass from Columbus QB Kathy Black put the Spirit ahead of the Defenders who came surging back from being down 25-0 at halftime.

Dayton Gems 41

Gals of Kalamazoo 40

Gems kicker Shelby Taylor stuns Kalamazoo crowd in high scoring thriller. 

Kentucky Racers 21

Memphis Blues 25

Racers struggle to find offense, manage only a single TD in loss to Memphis.

Knoxville Hounds 17

Lexington Fillies 35

Naomi Booker throws for 4 TDs and runs for another in Fillies win.

Dayton Gems logo package. ...Not gonna lie here; my first crack at this turned out to be a recolor of the CHL team that I didn't know existed until I asked for some help from a friend and he googled the name. I had to start this one over from the beginning. Not changing the name, though. Not yet, anyway. 

Dayton Gems Logo pack 1.png

4 hours ago, Balu the Bare said:

Dayton Gems logo package. ...Not gonna lie here; my first crack at this turned out to be a recolor of the CHL team that I didn't know existed until I asked for some help from a friend and he googled the name. I had to start this one over from the beginning. Not changing the name, though. Not yet, anyway. 

Dayton Gems Logo pack 1.png

The "gem" looks very very similar to the sims logo....

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

The "gem" looks very very similar to the sims logo....

I didn't see it while I was working on it and now I can't unsee it. But is it too similar? Can I do something to better differentiate mine from The Sims? Would a color change help? Or am I delaying this one further to rework the whole thing?

6 hours ago, Balu the Bare said:

I didn't see it while I was working on it and now I can't unsee it. But is it too similar? Can I do something to better differentiate mine from The Sims? Would a color change help? Or am I delaying this one further to rework the whole thing?

Maybe if you reworked the size of it a little. When I think of the sims logo I think of tall and skinny, so if you could get away from that it would probably be better. Other than that I feel like putting the D behind the gem looks busy.

8 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Maybe if you reworked the size of it a little. When I think of the sims logo I think of tall and skinny, so if you could get away from that it would probably be better. Other than that I feel like putting the D behind the gem looks busy.

Alright, so I managed to widen the gem part a bit and tried to incorporate it into the "D" a little better, but I'm still seeing the Sims' plumbob thing.  I dunno, I may just have to rethink this team a bit. 

Dayton Gems main logo v4.png

How about making the D itself into a gem? or layering gems together to form a D?

On 3/22/2017 at 8:52 AM, eick74 said:

How about making the D itself into a gem? or layering gems together to form a D?

I don't know about layering, but how about this?

Dayton Gems main logo v5.png

Moving forward.

I've updated the Gems logo package to reflect the new changes. Also I've abandoned the idea of customizing a template for now. I can't get it to look right and that's not the detail I want to be hung up on.  I will have uniforms up soon(ish) and the weekly scoreboard up on Tuesday.

Dayton Gems Logo pack v5.1.png

Week 2 of the 2010 GLA season 

Week 2 - April 11, 2010.png

Memphis Blues 25

Columbus Spirit 32

Controversial no call allows Columbus to remain unbeaten. 

Kentucky Racers 20

Fort Wayne Defenders 46

Defenders outpace Racers in 2nd half.

Lexington Fillies 48

Dayton Gems 8

Naomi Booker at it again in domination of Dayton. 

Gals of Kalamazoo 41

Knoxville Hounds 10

Kalamazoo starters sit out 2nd half in thrashing of Knoxville.

9 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

What font are you using for everything? I like it

It's a Dafont.com gem called Whitestone. It is the current GLA official font. 

2 people like this

Week 3 of the 2010 season, plus a tentative new logo...

58e3eb2758edf_Week3-April182010.png.5a973f99ba8ae7f9d6848d90f1d881d9.png

Columbus Spirit 37

Kentucky Racers 27

No home field advantage as Racers remain winless.

Knoxville Hounds 37

Fort Wayne Defenders 17

Hounds may have finally found a capable QB in backup Carrina Bradford.

Gals of Kalamazoo 29

Lexington Fillies 15

Naomi Booker struggles in first half, leaves game with concussion like symptoms.

Dayton Gems 26

Memphis Blues 18

Blues plagued by turnovers in loss to Gems. 

And the Lexington Fillies Logos I've come up with is a concept I like, but don't know if it works as well as it did when I first sketched it out. 

58e51ce6afde3_LexingtonFilliesMainLogov1.png.fe28be8c5543aea68f63e5837441ca1c.png58e51ceb0ab14_LexingtonFilliesMainLogopackv1.png.d844f66902cc09343b62ea7d2b13ac0b.png

I get what you were going for with the F, but it reads as "Tillies" to me.

I like the design of the horse's head for the most part (not exactly feeling the neck/chest area), and you are blocking too much of the F for it to be visible as an F.

10 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I get what you were going for with the F, but it reads as "Tillies" to me.

6 hours ago, eick74 said:

I like the design of the horse's head for the most part (not exactly feeling the neck/chest area), and you are blocking too much of the F for it to be visible as an F.

Yeah, I think I need to rework this one a little bit. The horse is supposed to be part of the F and it doesn't read that way at all. Just needed more eyes than mine on it. Thanks, guys :D

1 person likes this

Having the horse as part of the F is not a bad idea per se but it might be not be a workable one. I think the outline of the horse's head and mane would work as a team logo and helmet logo and have the team's word mark be a separate entity by itself.

On 4/6/2017 at 11:38 AM, eick74 said:

Having the horse as part of the F is not a bad idea per se but it might be not be a workable one.

In the end, this proved to be true. I tried that horse head, I tried different ones, I changed the direction of the head so the mane formed part of the f and a few other things that I couldn't get to look right. So I went with the outlined head and mane as a primary mark, cleaned up the head a bit and came up with this:

58eceeb95878b_LexingtonFilliesFullLogopackv2.png.066a8d6d7def4fe74639b5dfa615a0d9.png

1 person likes this