March Madness by Nike (Iowa)

bucknut42

Hello All

As many of you are well aware, Adidas releases postseason jerseys for some of their teams to wear in tournaments. Nike does not do this, so I decided to try my hand at this idea. I have 12 teams that I will be doing jerseys for, and if those turn out well, I may take some requests for teams from the NCAA tournament. Without further ado, here are the first two sets, North Carolina and Butler.

NORTH CAROLINA:

For the Tar Heels, I've always thought that navy blue would be better than black. So here it is. A navy jersey with their Carolina blue as the accent color. Argyle pattern remains on the shorts, and the word mark is a baseball word mark that I thought worked well for these jerseys.  

UNC.png

BUTLER:

For the Bulldogs, I focused on the aspect that they are Indianapolis' big team. The Indy skyline appears on the jersey, and the flag of the city is the shorts design. 

spacer.pngButler.png

Hope you all like these, and of course C&C is appreciated! Thanks for looking.

spacer.png

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to finally see some college basketball concepts on here! Hopefully with March Madness starting we'll see some more.

UNC: I completely agree with you re: navy being better than black for a UNC alternate. It works especially well here, as I think Carolina blue-on-navy is the best possible color combination for that 'Tar Heels' script. The argyle detailing on the shorts adds a brand-specific element without doing too much, and overall the uniforms have a very classic and clean feel. I would suggest shrinking down the front number and the name on back -- a two-digit number or a last name of 6 characters or more would likely look very off in terms of proportions. Also, I would consider extending the argyle pattern up onto the side panels of the jersey for the sake of consistency. Finally, and it's a super nit-picky detail, but the NBA and NBPA logos are still visible on both jersey tags in both concepts.

Butler: This is a fun concept -- Butler is definitely heavily ingrained within the city of Indianapolis, so the skyline and city flag are very fitting and well-utilized. I would probably consider extending the sold striping from the shorts up onto the side panels of the jersey here as well, but I tend to be very OCD when it comes to things like that so take it with a grain of salt. Both numbers and the name on back could probably be shrunken down a bit here as well to help with proportions.

Great work so far -- both of these would be good on-court looks for the tournament. Can't wait to see what's next!

These are awesome, the UNC concept is perfect I would love them to use these for big games kinda like how Duke uses the black unis for big games. I see where the Butler concept is going but I don't think it's all the way there. Maybe a concept around Hinkle Fieldhouse would be closer to the Butler brand than using the Indianapolis skyline. Just a thought but these look really clean! 

Siginature.png.90aaa7d86f8ba1448206f0cbc8f97442.pngBahamasBowl_SIG.pngCxpIxxZ.png

Thanks for all the feedback! I will get to the Butler and UNC changes tomorrow because I do not have those designs with me right now, but I do have another design ready to go right now! 

ARIZONA:

So this design follows their current set somewhat, as I love the gradient thing they have going. The idea of this set is to focus on their motto "bear down". It says so on the sides of the shorts, and the arrow shape is pointing down as a reminder to bear down during tourney time.

Arizona jersey.png

By the way @andyfootball67 the template came from Hoopladawg. 

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, bucknut42 said:

Thanks for all the feedback! I will get to the Butler and UNC changes tomorrow because I do not have those designs with me right now, but I do have another design ready to go right now! 

ARIZONA:

So this design follows their current set somewhat, as I love the gradient thing they have going. The idea of this set is to focus on their motto "bear down". It says so on the sides of the shorts, and the arrow shape is pointing down as a reminder to bear down during tourney time.

Arizona jersey.png

By the way @andyfootball67 the template came from Hoopladawg. 

I like these, being an Arizona fan, I like the current gradient style we've adopted. I think the word "Bear" looks out of place, I totally see the symbolism that it sets up, but it's awkward not seeing the whole "Beardown" mark. I also think the numbers and wordmark could use a white outline. But I wouldn't mind these as a one off.

a2BRS8U.png

I agree with pretty much everything @H11K mentioned. The gradient is incorporated nicely, especially on the side panels of the shorts -- I'm not a fan of their current set of uniforms with the gradient wrapping all the way around both legs and fading upward. I don't know that I've seen many if any instances in which a team motto such as "Bear Down" is used outside of being embroidered along the inside of the collar, but I'm not opposed -- provided that it's all together instead of being split up. A white outline around all of the navy lettering and numbering would make a big difference, too, as red and blue tend to compete with one another without it. Finally, the wordmark and front numbering could probably be scaled down slightly to fit proportionally on the jersey.

Another solid start to a concept -- and very on-brand in terms of Nike. Good work, keep 'em coming!

Man all of these are great. The template is spot on but I do have one nitpick. I agree with H11K on the Arizona jersey needing a white outline but I think the Carolina jersey could use a white outline on the wordmark. The thin diamonds on the argyle could also be white so it doesn't blend together. Very minor nitpicks but I think it'll really make the Carolina blue pop more with a white outline.

Here's the next team! I've actually got some free time today at school so I may be able to get another team out later this afternoon. For now, here's the net team.

Florida State:

For the Seminoles I decided to take the color scheme from a word mark I found here on the site. I kept the word mark as the chest wording, and I put their current feather logo on the side. It's sort of a blend of eras for the Noles. 

Florida State.png

spacer.png

I LOVE what you have here with Florida State -- definitely a fun alternate with a nice vintage feel to it. The numbers and the name on back still feel a bit big to me, and I'm curious as to how piping along the bottom of the shorts would work if it was modified to a pattern similar to what the Seminoles use on the collars of their football jerseys. I'm not sure if it would be too much or just right, but that could be an interesting element to explore. Nice job!

All these are fantastic. Being from Indy and being a Butler fan, it's kind of hard to see a concept for Butler that is out there and not classic but this is amazing and beyond anything I would've expected. And then Florida St? Oh my goodness that is a beauty. Can't wait to see more

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Reviving this thread with March Madness kicking off again! I'll be doing the top 5 seeds that are Nike schools, excluding UNC since I did them already last year. I won't be going in any particular order, so here's the first team, the 3-seed Tennessee Vols.

Rxcu4JL.png

I am personally a huge fan of the Vols' smokey gray look, so I brought that look to a March Madness uniform. C&C appreciated! Next team later today or early tomorrow.

spacer.png

Second team of the day: The 4 seed Wichita State Shockers. Went with a fauxback look for the Shocks, using their alternate wSu logo as the word mark and one of the baseball team logos on the shorts! Let me know feedback on Tennessee or Wichita State!

8HRc9kr.png

spacer.png

Archived