Returning to the retro or faux-retro looks

Ben in LA

A post in the Las Vegas NHL expansion thread inspired me to start this one.  The two teams that immediately come to mind are the Houston Astros and the Philadelphia 76ers.  The Nordiques were mentioned as well if they were to return.  In a way, the Rams come to mind as well with the blue and white.

What other teams might (or should) return to a past look?

IMG_3212.PNG

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's good for teams like the Sixers or Astros, who downgraded

I respectfully disagree on the Astros, who actually upgraded when they went back to navy and orange. They should have never gone to black and red. They did it because those were hot colors around the turn of the century, their former huckster of an owner never passed up a chance to make a buck and he seized on the chance to gloss himself by adopting the colors of his trucking company. The navy-and-gold era wasn't as bad, and it was tolerable because navy was still around and I liked the return of "Houston" to the road jerseys. 

But the navy and orange are the Astros' rightful colors. If you want to argue their home jerseys are dull as dishwater and their primary logo is equally boring, I'll agree with you on that. I would have preferred a return to the original shooting star jerseys they wore when they became the Astros in 1965 (and I would have been OK with that as the primary logo. It would have had a wordmark and a semblance of a logo with the shooting star.).

I like the current Houston road jerseys because it's pretty close to the first "Houston" wordmark the Astros wore from 1962 through 1970. I don't have a suggestion for a better Astros logo outside of the shooting star, but the roundel is a snoozer.

I could see the Brewers finally doing it, though with the wrong look (give me late 1990s).  I think the Astros clarified what their identity is...which the Padres could accomplish with brown.

I'd like to see the Timberwolves go retro-inspired by using much more green and no black or silver. Similarly, I'd like the Eagles to go to their 1980 colors (identical helmet but updated jersey.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

DP

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

10 hours ago, cheo25 said:

I respectfully disagree on the Astros, who actually upgraded when they went back to navy and orange. They should have never gone to black and red. They did it because those were hot colors around the turn of the century, their former huckster of an owner never passed up a chance to make a buck and he seized on the chance to gloss himself by adopting the colors of his trucking company. The navy-and-gold era wasn't as bad, and it was tolerable because navy was still around and I liked the return of "Houston" to the road jerseys. 

But the navy and orange are the Astros' rightful colors. If you want to argue their home jerseys are dull as dishwater and their primary logo is equally boring, I'll agree with you on that. I would have preferred a return to the original shooting star jerseys they wore when they became the Astros in 1965 (and I would have been OK with that as the primary logo. It would have had a wordmark and a semblance of a logo with the shooting star.).

I like the current Houston road jerseys because it's pretty close to the first "Houston" wordmark the Astros wore from 1962 through 1970. I don't have a suggestion for a better Astros logo outside of the shooting star, but the roundel is a snoozer.

He means their original rebrands were downgrades

Archived