LVBP (Venezuelan Baseball League) Tweaks and Expansion - Aguilas del Zulia (3/12) (In Stand-By)

Victormrey

One of the most popular concept threads on the boards are the "MLB Tweaks". Inspired by that kind of series, I decided to do the same with the LVBP (Liga Venezolana de Béisbol Profesional / Venezuelan Professional Baseball League).

The main current problem with the style of Venezuelan teams is that they have abandoned the classic White/Grey combination for the uniforms, thing which I don't like at all. Apart from that, in my opinion, some teams don't have the best look or uniforms.

That's why I decided to tweak the league of the country where I was born.

I'll be making changes to the 8 current teams and I'll add 4 brand new clubs. Given most of the people here may not know the teams from the LVBP, I'll write a bit about each club on the posts, and about the corresponding city/state for the expansion teams.

This is the list of the teams (those underlined are the expansion ones) and the map of the league:

División Central / Central Division:

• Leones del Caracas / Caracas Lions (Caracas, Capital District)
  • Navegantes de Magallanes / Magallanes Navigators (Valencia, Carabobo)
  • Tiburones de la Guaira / La Guaira Sharks (La Guaira, Vargas)
  • Tigres de Aragua / Aragua Tigers (Maracay, Aragua)

División Oriental / Eastern Division:

• Bravos de Margarita / Margarita Braves (Porlamar, Nueva Esparta)
  • Caribes de Anzoátegui / Anzoátegui Caribbeans (Puerto La Cruz, Anzoátegui)
  • Mineros de Guayana / Guayana Miners (Ciudad Guayana, Bolívar)
  • Salineros de Sucre / Sucre Saltmen (Cumaná, Sucre)

División Occidental / Western Division:

• Águilas del Zulia / Zulia Eagles (Maracaibo, Zulia)
  • Cardenales de Lara / Lara Cardinals (Barquisimeto, Lara)
  • Llaneros de Barinas / Barinas Plainsmen (Barinas, Barinas)
  • Petroleros de Táchira / Táchira Oilers (San Cristóbal, Táchira)

Mapa Venezuela.png

Let's start the series with Leones del Caracas (Caracas Lions). Los Leones are the most successful team on the league, having won the national championship 20 times and the Caribbean Series twice.

The team was founded in 1945 as "Cervecería Caracas" (Caracas Brewery), being one of the 4 founder teams of the league. The team's gold era were the 80's, when they won 5 national leagues and 1 Caribbean Series.

I decided to change the cap and sleeve logos used by the team: the current caps use the "Leones" script, which I don't think looks good, so I decided to bring back the "C" used in the past. About the sleeve patch, I decided to keep an alt version of their secondary logo used in the 2015/16 season.

The home uniform remains the same. For the road I decided to change the white for yellow, in order to make them look less like the Yankees. I completely changed the alts, the home is inspired by the uniform used during the late 70's and the road is inspired by the old Cervecería Caracas' style.

LVBP Leones del Caracas Home Uniform.png

LVBP Leones del Caracas Road Uniform.pngLVBP Leones del Caracas Home Alt Uniform.pngLVBP Leones del Caracas Road Alt Uniform.png

Feedback appreciated!

Already a great start. The Leones look like the love child of the Yankees and Dodgers. My only opinion is that of jujubeans ^^ that a more Pittsburgh Pirates font looks a lot better. I would also like to see a yellow alternate instead of the blue 

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

16 hours ago, jujubeans said:

Personally I'm more of a fan of this Caracas script than the one you used.

16 hours ago, CodeG said:

My only opinion is that of jujubeans ^^ that a more Pittsburgh Pirates font looks a lot better.

Great idea! I didn't remember that script. Here is the road uniform Pirates-ish font:

LVBP Leones del Caracas Road Uniform.png

16 hours ago, CodeG said:

I would also like to see a yellow alternate instead of the blue 

I used navy because I think it matches better the grey pants, but this is the yellow version:

Leones del Caracas Road Alt Test.png

What do you think?

17 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I agree that the Pirates-esque "Caracas" wordmark is the better of the two. For consistency, use it on the navy/yellow alt, whichever you end up going with.

I would like to keep the Cervecería Caracas-inspired style. That way both alts would be retro inspired.

Let's move on to an idyllic island in the Caribbean, time for Los Bravos de Margarita (Margarita Braves).

Los Bravos is a team based on the island of Margarita, located in its biggest city, Porlamar. The team was founded in 2007, as a replacement of the Pastora de los Llanos' franchise, so they are the youngest team in the league.

First of all, I decided to change the team's colour scheme, going for a more Caribbean-ish style. On the left you can see the old scheme and on the right the new one:

Bravos de Margarita Color 1.pngBravos de Margarita Color 2.png

I also changed the wordmarks, keeping the current script style. For the uniforms, I decided to use the style of the current alt to all the designs:

LVBP Bravos de Margarita Home Uniform.png

LVBP Bravos de Margarita Road Uniform.png

LVBP Bravos de Margarita Home Alt Uniform.png

LVBP Bravos de Margarita Road Alt Uniform.png

41 minutes ago, hendocfc said:

Nice designs! It's "idyllic" by the way,correct if you can give a toss.

Thanks, and yes, you're right. My English is far from perfect.

37 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Love that new color scheme for the Bravos! 

Just curious, you said you'd be adding four teams to the original eight, but the topic title says "2/14." So will there be 12 or 14 teams total?

Thank you! Just a mistake, there'll be 12 teams.

Definitely not what I was expecting when I saw the name 'Braves'. But these are really good, the colors work well. 

1 hour ago, Victormrey said:

How about using sand instead of grey for Los Bravos? Inspired by the Caribbean Coast.

If this is supposed to be the 'Caribbean' team, then yes sand would work a lot better than grey. 

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

Archived