I'm a professional Graphic Designer of sports things; AMA

BrandMooreArt

24 minutes ago, ODUMonarchs said:

How much of the content for social media do you produce? And do you stick to graphics or do you help produce videos and other content as well?

a rough estimate, i'd say about 50%. most of what i do through a normal week is for social platforms. even if that's making a template like for free agent signings, then dropping in an appropriate photo once a guy is signed. that kind of easy stuff pops up often through out a day. and it's not just directly related to football, but there's also plenty of sponsorship, youth programs, and stadium events we have to create and promote as well. the last few weeks we've been heavily involved in the ICC (soccer) match ups. we concepted/created a lot of the identity parts for El Clasico Miami and have been building out a lot of that marketing. bus wraps, taxi toppers, billboards, etc

this kind of thing seems pretty common with NFL teams– i know the Falcons design team does a lot for ATL soccer and the Broncos do the Denver Outlaw lacrosse stuff as well. so if you're with an NFL, theres so many other events that happen at most of those stadiums, you'll probably design something for it. 

mostly, what i do on social is static images, but i also created the "It's Gameday" GIFs and "big play" GIFs last year. i don't have any direct hands on with video, we have a team of about 7 just for video. but right now we have 8 video "franchises" each with their own identity that i've helped design; logo, lower thirds, title screens, and textures. on game days or during training camp, i edit photos and make sure they look as good as possible before we send them out. to my knowledge, this is unique for a graphic designer in the NFL, but so much of our creative depends on great photography so its usually all hands on deck for games or large events

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you done billboards by any chance? I remember randomly seeing a billboard for the Dolphins-Falcons game in the Citrus Bowl one day last year that looked a lot like your work (mono-aqua, road team's logo in just white, etc.)

Also, nice to know you went to Full Sail; I live just a couple miles from the university.

ExJworW.png

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Have you done billboards by any chance? I remember randomly seeing a billboard for the Dolphins-Falcons game in the Citrus Bowl one day last year that looked a lot like your work (mono-aqua, road team's logo in just white, etc.)

Also, nice to know you went to Full Sail; I live just a couple miles from the university.

yea that was one of the billboards we did last year. last year, the team decided to do fewer billboards than normal and have the ones we did design around Miami be more "brand plays" than call to action types. for instance, we did one where we took Jarvis Landry's 1 handed catch from the '15 season and had him jumping out of the billboard. but, for the Orlando preseason game and Central Florida marketing, that was an instance where we had to do the traditional "buy tickets" kind of design. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

1 hour ago, StaatsBrett said:

If you could change one thing about the NFL in general what would it be and why

i'll answer in two ways: as a fan, i'd like to see playoff seeding adjusted (all 6 teams seeded by season record instead of both wildcard teams automatically seeded at 5 and 6). but as an employee, there's really nothing that stands out. if i could convince the Dolphins to move the creative team into our own studio-warehouse in the Wynwood neighborhood, or into a place right on the beach i'd be all for that.   

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Do you have a design degree? And if so how much was that influential for you to be hired for this job? Asking because

I am planning on majoring in graphic design next year in college.

a2BRS8U.png

11 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

a rough estimate, i'd say about 50%. most of what i do through a normal week is for social platforms. even if that's making a template like for free agent signings, then dropping in an appropriate photo once a guy is signed. that kind of easy stuff pops up often through out a day. and it's not just directly related to football, but there's also plenty of sponsorship, youth programs, and stadium events we have to create and promote as well. the last few weeks we've been heavily involved in the ICC (soccer) match ups. we concepted/created a lot of the identity parts for El Clasico Miami and have been building out a lot of that marketing. bus wraps, taxi toppers, billboards, etc

this kind of thing seems pretty common with NFL teams– i know the Falcons design team does a lot for ATL soccer and the Broncos do the Denver Outlaw lacrosse stuff as well. so if you're with an NFL, theres so many other events that happen at most of those stadiums, you'll probably design something for it. 

mostly, what i do on social is static images, but i also created the "It's Gameday" GIFs and "big play" GIFs last year. i don't have any direct hands on with video, we have a team of about 7 just for video. but right now we have 8 video "franchises" each with their own identity that i've helped design; logo, lower thirds, title screens, and textures. on game days or during training camp, i edit photos and make sure they look as good as possible before we send them out. to my knowledge, this is unique for a graphic designer in the NFL, but so much of our creative depends on great photography so its usually all hands on deck for games or large events

Thanks for the response and great insight! A follow up question what programs do you use the most? And when you make the GIFs is it a combo of using Photoshop and after effects or is it all done in Photoshop? 

Siginature.png.90aaa7d86f8ba1448206f0cbc8f97442.pngBahamasBowl_SIG.pngCxpIxxZ.png

10 hours ago, H11K said:

Do you have a design degree? And if so how much was that influential for you to be hired for this job? Asking because

I am planning on majoring in graphic design next year in college.

yes, an AD in Graphic Design. you don't need a degree to have a career in design, it's mostly about your work, and who you know doesn't hurt either. but that said i am glad i was able to go to school for it. i didn't know what Graphic Design was when i started, only that it was something i felt i could do and learn. college really accelerated my learning and what i was able to learn in 1 year probably would have taken me 3 or 4 on my own. maybe more importantly, i was able to connect how graphic design is equal to art– there's always a concept, a deeper meaning beyond what a piece looks like. Graphic Design is communication and the aesthetics are not arbitrary, the have meaning. i really don't know if i would have pieced that together without getting my degree

there are 2 other Graphic Designers on the Dolphins team and only one of them have a degree in Design. they're both incredibly talented. i know Creative Directors with degrees and ones without. when this topic comes up, i always encourage people to just do what is right for them. if getting a degree in Design is what you want to do, go for it! 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

2 hours ago, ODUMonarchs said:

Thanks for the response and great insight! A follow up question what programs do you use the most? And when you make the GIFs is it a combo of using Photoshop and after effects or is it all done in Photoshop? 

i use Abode Indesign and Illustrator daily. Photoshop only for making GIFs. i think most teams would tell you they live in Photoshop, but we all prefer Indesign because it's easier to set up files for print, templates, work with text, and replace elements. our Art Director, Jeff, is multi-talented and does some animation in AfterEffects. He's been handling the 2017 Free Agency stuff you'll see on twitter/IG. i'm pretty sure most other teams use After Effects as well. (FYI - Ohio State has some of my favorite social animations)

when i do GIFs in Photoshop, its all done there. i'll import smart objects (like logos) from Illustrator, but my process is super simple, and restricted by what Ps can actually do anyway. all the motion is just "flipping" and "sliding". 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Thank you for taking the time to do this! You have a dream job and a fantastic portfolio, I know a lot of people appreciate the info you're sharing... most of my questions were answered already, but do you have any recommendations for designers looking to transition from freelancing towards more permanent work? Is it just a case of building the portfolio and networking?

4 hours ago, C-Squared said:

do you have any recommendations for designers looking to transition from freelancing towards more permanent work? Is it just a case of building the portfolio and networking?

yes, those are the most important things to get you an opportunity. if you're looking to be hired by a sports team, the more you can do the better. logos, printed pieces (stadium signage, editorial layout, tickets) and social graphics (gameday match ups for twitter / IG) would be a good place to start. being flexible as a designer is probably the opposite from what i would recommend as an independent designer, where i believe its best to focus on one thing. portfolio presentation is also huge. you dont just design the work that goes into the portfolio, you design the portfolio itself and that will really separate you from the average designer. THIS is a very good example

also, if a sports team is where you're trying to go, keep an eye on teamworkonline.com. im pretty sure all the major American leagues post job openings there.  

GRAPHIC ARTIST

34 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

What are some good things to have in your portfolio? I've met and emailed some people I know within the Avalanche organization, and am hoping to meet up with their graphics department to learn some things, but what are some good things to show them?

this will depend on the role you're going for, but i assume you're looking at a Graphic Designer position. basically, you want to design things that they do on a regular basis but in your own vision. you want to give them an idea of what you can do in proper context, but show some original thinking and a new approach to their aesthetic. i took a quick look at their twitter just to get an idea of what they're doing. seems like their "look" is based on photography and player cut-outs on a black background, so just try to steer away from that. show them something they haven't thought of yet. ill bullet out a list of things you could choose from to design

• match up graphic (1920x1080)
  • match up GIF/motion
  • scorebug graphic (1920x1080)
  • big play GIF/motion ("goal"/player)
  • stats graphic (1920x1080 / 1x1)
  • team / corporate partner logo lockup
  • anniversary patch/logo
  • game tickets
  • arena credentials
  • shirts
  • schedule (desktop/mobile wallpapers)
  • social avatars/headers
  • billboard
  • "happy birthday" graphic (1920x1080)
  • Adobe Spark or Medium article (use a story they've put out)
  • player logo
  • season ticket package

GRAPHIC ARTIST

On 3/22/2017 at 0:30 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

a bit about me:

i graduated from Full Sail University in 2009 with an AD in Graphic Design,

3.) while in Columbus, i learned to love Ohio State, but i also like Michigan too. i'm not one of those kinds of Buckeyes!

This is going to sound way worse than I mean it to, but I have to ask and I hope you're not offended.  Is that place is legit? I was under the impression that Full Sail is basically a school that will take anyone whose check doesn't bounce - especially after my idiot brother-in-law was accepted there. Again, I mean no offense, it's just that in my field, Full Sail doesn't have the greatest reputation. I'm genuinely curious because I've been kicking around the idea of taking some courses on film and sound engineering. I've heard that Full Sail offers those type of classes, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money of Florida's version of the Ohio Center for Broadcasting. I know Full Sail is not regionally accredited and that makes it tough to transfer credits or move on to a Masters program at a regionally accredited school like Ohio State, USF, etc. A lot of schools won't even accept credits or degrees from a school that isn't regionally accredited. Have you run into any issues?

That's fine, I guess, but you do know that your Ohio State fandom is not recognized by Buckeye Nation, right? B) And since this is a AMA, what exactly is "one of those kind of Buckeyes?"

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

This is going to sound way worse than I mean it to, but I have to ask and I hope you're not offended.  Is that place is legit? I was under the impression that Full Sail is basically a school that will take anyone whose check doesn't bounce - especially after my idiot brother-in-law was accepted there. Again, I mean no offense, it's just that in my field, Full Sail doesn't have the greatest reputation. I'm genuinely curious because I've been kicking around the idea of taking some courses on film and sound engineering. I've heard that Full Sail offers those type of classes, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money of Florida's version of the Ohio Center for Broadcasting. I know Full Sail is not regionally accredited and that makes it tough to transfer credits or move on to a Masters program at a regionally accredited school like Ohio State, USF, etc. A lot of schools won't even accept credits or degrees from a school that isn't regionally accredited. Have you run into any issues?

That's fine, I guess, but you do know that your Ohio State fandom is not recognized by Buckeye Nation, right? B) And since this is a AMA, what exactly is "one of those kind of Buckeyes?"

i can only tell you what my experience was like. yes, i think they are open to accepting about anyone. there were kids in my classes that didn't really "have it" or weren't serious about their career. it's not a party school, there's a ton of work, and those kids didn't last long. i don't know what happened to them afterwards or if its right or wrong they were there to begin with but i got a lot out of my time there. all of my instructors were industry professionals and i still keep in contact with a few today. personally, i don't have any regrets; it was the best time of my life. i was living in Florida at the time too, so that made it easier for me to get grants/loans too. the Film course seems pretty amazing and its only gotten better since i was there. there is an ESPN lab now where students do some shooting. i remember an NFL Draft show taking place there once with Bill Parcells. just do your research before making any decisions. for me it was great, but i certainly don't imagine it would be the right choice for everyone. 

LOL, i've been called bad names by both Wolverines and Buckeyes. i learned quickly how serious this rivalry is, like marking out all "M"s from text, or how you could be anywhere in the city and yell out "O! H!" and get a callback. i'm just trying to keep the peace, i love sports but i guess i don't love any college enough to really hate another. :) NFL teams on the other hand. . .

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Your answers have been really helpful I'm going to be at El classico Miami.  (Go real Madrid )   are you looking forward to seeing how the city & state  has to offer for potentially a wc bid?  Also isn't their a tarp for the canes games btw are you a  season ticket holder?

http://i.imgur.com/4gh4ZhB.png http://i.imgur.com/DmN6VqA.png

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/103365-star-based-championship-signatures-by-request/

From what I've seen on your portfolios, posts here and twitter I've seen that you're a big motorsport fan.

• What is your favourite F1 paint job for this coming season? ...and favourite current and all-time F1 drivers?

Also, you have posted about your college education but prior to that what was it that gravitated you towards graphic design? Is there a particular moment or person you remember that inspired you to make this career choice? Has creating logos, uniforms, posters etc. been something you have always had an interest in from an early age?

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Archived