Unrealized Stadiums

raysox

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

"We think that this structure comes from the late 1900s, early 2000s, but we're not sure. We know there was an activity that was played all across this region called baseball, and most seating arrangements were set up like this, but were we're not sure about the rules of the game. We think there were mounds and plates involved, and obviously a ball, but not much makes sense. I guess us humans in 4976 will never know... " 

They're going to get a kick out of the Marlins' homerun contraption. 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So glad that the Trillium Dome didn't happen because of the location. 27 Kilometers outside of downtown Toronto and not attached directly via public transportation at that time (and still isn't easy to get to via public transportation). 

That said, that idea (if memory serves) basically became the Skydome. 

That logo, by the way, (not sure if you know or not) is the logo of the province of Ontario, a trillium flower (hence the name of the dome) which is also our province's flower as you probably guessed, haha. 

I love these threads and looking at the "what could have been" ideas. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Addison_Dome_Overhead.jpg

What I find funny is that HOK wound up reusing the roof concept from the top design on Miller Park.

It's pretty common to re-purpose designs that didn't sell.  Camden Yards is just a modified form of the retro ballpark that the White Sox turned down to build New Comiskey. 

The bottom-right Addison design is more or less the New Comiskey we wound up with. The White Sox could have had a park that blended in with the neighborhood but chose to plunk a design for the suburbs right into the city. At least they didn't build a dome.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

37 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It's pretty common to re-purpose designs that didn't sell.  Camden Yards is just a modified form of the retro ballpark that the White Sox turned down to build New Comiskey. 

Ha! I never knew this. I've heard people say "New Comiskey was just a couple years too early" meaning if they'd waited until after Camden Yards then they would've jumped on the retro trend, but it turns out that's not true. The Sox could've been the trendsetter that the orioles became. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 hours ago, StaatsBrett said:

Wasn't also the plan was to have the Raiders move there such a shame that never happened 

Yes that was the plan.Funny,that unfinished ballpark/stadium is right next to Arco arena aka Sleep Train Arena which has not been used since last december.I say build it now and the Raiders have a home.

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

Yes that was the plan.Funny,that unfinished ballpark/stadium is right next to Arco arena aka Sleep Train Arena which has not been used since last december.I say build it now and the Raiders have a home.

"But  Vegas baby " honestly I think the best way to rebuild it would be a modern shared stadium  with the usl team or the  athletics

http://i.imgur.com/4gh4ZhB.png http://i.imgur.com/DmN6VqA.png

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/103365-star-based-championship-signatures-by-request/

12 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Do you mean this . . . or something like this?  This looks a lot like what was actually built, except the exterior surface looks like it might be brick.

comiskeyrend11950.jpg

My understanding is that the Armour Field plan was prepared independently, so I'm not sure the White Sox necessarily "turned [it] down."

j-Armour%20Field%20and%20Comiskey%20Park

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Do you mean this . . . or something like this?  This looks a lot like what was actually built, except the exterior surface looks like it might be brick.

comiskeyrend11950.jpg

That's because it's an early rendering for what they built, after the White Sox had shot down the Camden Yards-style park.

2 hours ago, leopard88 said:

My understanding is that the Armour Field plan was prepared independently, so I'm not sure the White Sox necessarily "turned [it] down."

j-Armour%20Field%20and%20Comiskey%20Park

Armour Field was just a fan proposal, albeit a fan who happened to be a professor of architecture.

16 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Ha! I never knew this. I've heard people say "New Comiskey was just a couple years too early" meaning if they'd waited until after Camden Yards then they would've jumped on the retro trend, but it turns out that's not true. The Sox could've been the trendsetter that the orioles became. 

And on the flip side, There's the decidedly Sox Parky version of Camden Yards.

camden87.jpg

Neil DeMause of Field of Schemes gives reason to doubt the "Reinsdorf shot down a retro park" story:

Field of Schemes- Missing the Boat

Coincidentally, The Mirror ran a similar story yesterday.

Liverpool's 2007 Stanley Park concept

Stanley-Park-stadium_zpsqawj5uek.jpg

Everton's 2006 King's Dock concept

Kirkby-stadium-Everton-football-club_zps

Second version

everton1_zpscnnze3hx.jpg

The "dual spine" Everton/Liverpool 2010 concept

siamese-stadium-liverpool_zpsuzwtcqgc.jp

Chelsea's 2012 Battersea Power Plant concept, but they were unable to buy the building.

A%20mock%20up%20of%20how%20Battersea%20p

SS Lazio

Stadiums-that-never-were_zps0hlr2xqn.jpg

Dinamo Zagreb

Stadiums-that-never-were2_zpslwy9kg7g.jp

Had Japan won the 2022 World Cup bid, Osaka would've built this 80,000 seater:

japan_zpsul7fjbvp.jpg

2009 Barcelona new Camp Nou from Spanish architect Emili Vidal

barcelona_zpsh69793kw.jpg

Ballparks by Munsey and Suppes has a future stadiums page for each of the sports it covers.  Some of the stadiums listed are old proposals/concepts . . .

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/index.htm

. . . like one of my personal favorites, Cisco Field.

oakbpk01.jpgoakbpk02.jpgoakbpk03.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

20 minutes ago, waltere said:

That Chelsea project inside Battersea Power Plant is insane

How could they do that rendering without a pig flying over it?

4175208.png

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived