Unrealized Stadiums

raysox

Some of the Cisco renderings make it look too enclosed for me.  Not a fan.

Could someone explain what this is/was?  Are they two soccer stadiums right next to each other?  If so, dafuq?

siamese-stadium-liverpool_zpsuzwtcqgc.jp

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Could someone explain what this is/was?  Are they two soccer stadiums right next to each other?  If so, dafuq?

That looks worse than the thought of the Raiders and Chargers almost sharing a stadium.

40 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Thats exactly what it is.

Liverpool FC and Everton FC play in their own stadiums, very close to one another. 

114790394_football_346024c.jpg

It's like when the New York Yankees and Giants had ballparks on opposite sides of the Harlem River, but those were actually in different leagues.  

Liverpool and Everton are both in 100+ year old stadiums, and both have recently been talking about replacing them (Everton looks to have just secured a site down the road).  A shared stadium was floated, but the fans (and clubs) hated the idea.  I don't think I've seen this "shared spine" concept before, but it seems to be a way to mollify the clubs and still share a footprint.  Don't think it ever got very far. 

22 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Thats exactly what it is.

Liverpool FC and Everton FC play in their own stadiums, very close to one another. 

114790394_football_346024c.jpg

It's like when the New York Yankees and Giants had ballparks on opposite sides of the Harlem River, but those were actually in different leagues.  

Liverpool and Everton are both in 100+ year old stadiums, and both have recently been talking about replacing them (Everton looks to have just secured a site down the road).  A shared stadium was floated, but the fans (and clubs) hated the idea.  I don't think I've seen this "shared spine" concept before, but it seems to be a way to mollify the clubs and still share a footprint.  Don't think it ever got very far. 

It didn't get far since it was a third party idea.

The "spine" or middle was to have an atrium style hotel (think an Embassy Suites) too.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-fc-everton-fc-siamese-3422776

What's the main reason for desiring separate stadiums so much that they'd rather build two right next to each other than share one?

Is it the complicated ownership situation that one stadium would create?  A general hatred and refusal to share with one another?  Something else?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

What's the main reason for desiring separate stadiums so much that they'd rather build two right next to each other than share one?

Is it the complicated ownership situation that one stadium would create?  A general hatred and refusal to share with one another?  Something else?

I dunno, maybe the two teams simply just don't like each other.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

At the time, both were exploring new stadium options and this third party was attempting to satisfy the needs of both wanting their own stadium, while reducing the overall cost.  

Don't think of them like North American sport franchises, think of them more like two golf clubs, since they have much more than "season ticket holders", they have actual shareholders in the business (like the Packers).  Outside of suites, the majority of NFL ticket home revenue has 40% off the top collected by the league and divided by the other 31 teams.  Soccer keeps all gate. One stadium would essentially cut its lifespan by 40% with grass/Desso Grassmaster harder to revive.

Hell, even UCLA moved from the Coliseum to the Rose Bowl.

Example: Both SS Lazio and AC Roma share Rome's Olympic Stadium and with rent and revenues as such, both are looking to build their own venues.

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Gothamite said:

That's because it's an early rendering for what they built, after the White Sox had shot down the Camden Yards-style park.

Armour Field was just a fan proposal, albeit a fan who happened to be a professor of architecture.

There were a few options for the White Sox back then.Another which never left the drawing board was to be on a large unused railroad yard bounded by Roosevelt rd,the Chicago river,Clark street and 18th st.At that time the South loop was seedy and undeveloped.If built the White Sox would of had one of the best downtown stadiums in baseball and still would, as the area has skyrocked with condo towers all around.BTW,the land still sits unused.

I love threads like these. Prior to Katrina, the Saints and City of New Orleans were at odds over the Superdome. The Saints basically wanted a brand new stadium and the city/state wanted to renovate the Superdome. Out of all of this, a number of potential locations for a new stadium were discussed including one in the suburbs about 30 miles from the city (but less than 10 min from my house :D) as well as a stadium on the Mississippi Gulf coast (even further from New Orleans).

There were two potential city sites that were discussed and both ended up with concept art. The first would have been in the Algiers district of New Orleans, across the river from downtown. This site is a mix of old warehouses and industrial buildings and homes.

proposed_riverfront_stadium.gif

The second would have been a location just on the edge of the French Quarter with an open end looking into the historic district. This stadium proposal would have eliminated a large public housing development and caused quite a stir when proposed.

newinterior.gif

gYH2mW9.png

/\ that last one's bowl slope looks poor for sports, pretty good for concert events... 

I couldn't find anything more about Camden Yards/White Sox with my curiosity, though my searches led that the Orioles were going to maybe go the stale route before the retro, & not vice versa with as mentioned earlier for the White Sox.  

My white whale on this subject is the planned arena for expansion Toronto Raptors, corner of Bay & Dundas.  I've always been curious to see specs - as it was all I can remember is a concept image (outdoor vista) in Toronto Star piece for the time. This was before the internet onslaught, & yet I can't find a lick of details.  

It was a realized plan because it was a cornerstone of their bid process, which of course led to Air Canada Centre with better location (which itself btw went back to the drawing board for the Maple Leafs once MLSE bought the Raptors).  

My other other white whale on the horizon is the eventual replacement for Rogers Centre.  Yeah, I know, it's not falling down anytime soon, & yet there's zero breath of any conceptual upgrades or renos.  I could go on but it'll be pages of ideas on that front.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Is there a rule that every stadium rendering has to have spotlights shining up from it?  I remember they did that with the ones here too, and I don't think I"ve ever seen a spotlight shine up from any of our parks.

1 minute ago, 2001mark said:

/\ that last one's bowl slope looks poor for sports, pretty good for concert events... 

That is/was Ed Roski's Grand Crossings stadium which was planned for the LA suburbs of Industry, CA, 20 miles from LA. Roski wanted to lure a team to LA with the stadium he built in exchange for equity in the team itself.

Roski and his Majestic Realty were also part of three other Las Vegas stadium proposals for UNLV, going back nearly eight years. Search "UNLV Now" for all the proposed looks, one of which was initially recycled for the Raiders.

concept4_zpsdzs0rrp2.jpg

dsc_9057e_t653.0_zpswj6fujdh.jpg

UNLV_now_zpszagzlqw5.jpg

Oh, Vegas has other proposed venues too like this downtown arena from 2014.

100341309020Arenas-Stadium235_zpsbnuxi1f

26 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is there a rule that every stadium rendering has to have spotlights shining up from it?  I remember they did that with the ones here too, and I don't think I"ve ever seen a spotlight shine up from any of our parks.

Pretty much a rule for concept art... fireworks, hot air balloons, spotlights, etc.  Every picture needs at least two pieces of flair.

Drawing of one of the proposals for where to put the Phillies stadium.

1.  There's a new huge morman temple there and an apartment / condo tower that is also owned by the LDS.

2.  Philly's / PA's two tallest buildings aren't even built and in the picture yet, and this is probably from 2001 or 2002.

BSG_Phillies_1.jpg

Archived