Unrealized Stadiums

raysox

Before the Ice Palace/Tampa Bay Times Forum/Amalie Arena, there was another Tampa arena concept for the Lightning.

The Tampa Coliseum, which was planned to be built where Raymond James Stadium now sits.

images5_zps3ng6me4q.jpg

It fell apart the US developer had no money* and the Lightning were owned by the Yakuza.

http://www.hotpolitics.com/hotpolitics-1.html

*-Marc Ganis was the failed developer yet somehow came out as a "sports business expert" who is contracted by media over facility plans all the damn time.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is there a rule that every stadium rendering has to have spotlights shining up from it?  I remember they did that with the ones here too, and I don't think I"ve ever seen a spotlight shine up from any of our parks.

It's like the rule that every rendering has to have eighty-four percent more trees than the finished development. 

26 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It's like the rule that every rendering has to have eighty-four percent more trees than the finished development. 

And exclusively white fans. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's a 1983 proposal for a domed stadium in San Francisco, right on the current site of AT&T Park.

83dome4.jpg

It would have had a retractable roof, had a capacity of 70,000, and it looks like it would have also had a large park garage structure across the street. Needless to say, I'm glad this plan never came to fruition. There are also several pre-AT&T Park renderings for a baseball-only stadium in a similar area, dating from the late-1980's/early-1990's. They all look like New Comiskey, with a bit of Kauffman Stadium thrown in on the top one.

Late 90's also gave us the Cotton Dome, as a Dallas attorney wanted to place a dome over the Cotton Bowl.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1996-04-11/sports/9604110024_1_seed-money-idea-figured

http://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/pickin-cotton-6401077

There was a retractable roof proposal later too. I cannot copy the Image in phone well enough.

http://www.datumengineers.com/projects/sports/cotton-bowl.html

Original Turnpike/Arlington Stadium had a dome proposal in the 60's too.

920x920_zps6p0imbbj.jpg

Story: http://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/In-the-early-60s-the-Dallas-area-wanted-a-domed-7870964.php

16 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

How has West Side Stadium not been brought up yet? It was part of New York's bid for the 2012 Olympics, and would've gone on to house the Jets.

West_20Side_20Stadium_20Rendering_20-_20

Question. If the Jets actually ended up getting this stadium built in NYC, would the Giants still have pursued a new stadium in New Jersey?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

3 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Question. If the Jets actually ended up getting this stadium built in NYC, would the Giants still have gotten a new stadium in New Jersey?

Yes.

As the Jets were dealing with this Manhattan deal, the Giants were working with New Jersey for a Meadowlands stadium replacement.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2005/04/14/nyregion/deal-is-struck-for-a-new-giants-stadium-at-the-meadowlands.html

Remember, the Jets were added on as partner to the project.

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Yes.

As the Jets were dealing with this Manhattan deal, the Giants were working with New Jersey for a Meadowlands stadium replacement.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2005/04/14/nyregion/deal-is-struck-for-a-new-giants-stadium-at-the-meadowlands.html

Remember, the Jets were added on as partner to the project.

And on that note... would the Giants have ended up renaming themselves the New Jersey Giants?

53Ocz8U.png

18 hours ago, 2001mark said:

/\ that last one's bowl slope looks poor for sports, pretty good for concert events... 

I couldn't find anything more about Camden Yards/White Sox with my curiosity, though my searches led that the Orioles were going to maybe go the stale route before the retro, & not vice versa with as mentioned earlier for the White Sox.  

My white whale on this subject is the planned arena for expansion Toronto Raptors, corner of Bay & Dundas.  I've always been curious to see specs - as it was all I can remember is a concept image (outdoor vista) in Toronto Star piece for the time. This was before the internet onslaught, & yet I can't find a lick of details.  

It was a realized plan because it was a cornerstone of their bid process, which of course led to Air Canada Centre with better location (which itself btw went back to the drawing board for the Maple Leafs once MLSE bought the Raptors).  

My other other white whale on the horizon is the eventual replacement for Rogers Centre.  Yeah, I know, it's not falling down anytime soon, & yet there's zero breath of any conceptual upgrades or renos.  I could go on but it'll be pages of ideas on that front.

This also made me look for the union station idea the Leafs had before buying the Raptors and moving into the ACC. 

The link isn't exactly how I recall the story going (Then again, Blog.to has a nack for that) but it gives the general idea.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

17 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

And on that note... would the Giants have ended up renaming themselves the New Jersey Giants?

Jets fans would've probably started all kinds of petitions to make it happen, but no way in hell Giants ownership would do that. It's not a situation like New York Red Bull in MLS who never played in NYC, the Giants have history actually playing in the city.

Kind of makes me think though. That proposed West Side Stadium might have had a better chance of getting the green light had the Giants and Jets came together in a co-ownership situation like they ultimately did for MetLife in Jersey. No offense, but the New York Giants brand carries a lot more weight than that of the Jets. Giants and Jets coming back into NYC may have been enough to trump any hissy fit thrown by Dolan.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

The Giants kept their name when they moved to New Jersey while the Jets stayed at Shea. There is zero chance they would have changed their name had the Jets moved back to New York City. And zero chance Jets fans would have started a petition to get them to change, unless it was in jest.

On March 26, 2017 at 6:06 AM, Jimmy Lethal said:

How has West Side Stadium not been brought up yet? It was part of New York's bid for the 2012 Olympics, and would've gone on to house the Jets.

As a New Jersey native and a Jets fan I am happy this didn't happen. Tailgating is part of football and traffic into the city for a football game would have been a nightmare. This design should have been carried over to the Meadowlands, frankly, Metlife sucks and having two teams is no excuse. There is no reason you cannot have a unique design and a retractable roof due to two teams playing. Metlife is a modern day concrete donut it just happens to have good sightlines and is made out of metal.

I am new the the forum and noticed this little topic. How about the Qatar 2022 World Cup stadiums. They were touted as being the most sophisticated stadiums ever constructed with each with their own artificial weather systems. I am looking forward to seeing them but there has already been numerous changes to the plans due to current technology and building practices.

qatar-chronicle-qatar-2022-stadiums.jpg

_81213069_al-bayt-ap.jpg

2022-fifa-world-cup-qatar-stadium.jpg

Al-Khor-Stadium.jpg

Al-Rayyan-Stadium.jpg

Al-Shamal-Stadium.jpg

Qatar-University-Stadium.jpg

estadio-doha-port-qatar-2022-2-771x545.jpg

NpTodZP.png

4 hours ago, raysox said:

Good call, I remember when the first 5 stadium concerts were released I wanted Qater to host. Now? Ehhhhh not so much

also welcome!

I love some of the stadium designs for the Qatar 2022 World Cup: Doha Port Stadium, Al-Shamal Stadium, and  Lusail Iconic Stadium. They are all very futuristic and have some great vision. Plus I love the idea of post FIFA World Cup 2022, the modular upper tier of the stadium will be disassembled for shipment to developing countries. Great recycling. 

NpTodZP.png

Archived