Unrealized Stadiums

raysox

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Qatar 2022 is a corrupt World Cup bid that won by bribing FIFA officials, is using slave labor to build their (completely unnecessary) stadiums, has to be played in the winter because of the oppressive heat, may cause issues for LGBT fans and players who would be subject to terrible discrimination, and is propped up by a repressive oil-rich government.

(But the stadiums have such cool designs!!)

I would love nothing more than for every major footballing country to boycott the 2022 World Cup over the slave labor and LGBT discrimination concerns, and instead put on an alternate World Cup that summer. Won't happen, but it would serve FIFA right.

Speaking of corrupt international sporting events and interesting stadium ideas that never happened, this is the mostly temporary facility that Chicago was going to put in Washington Park in their 2016 Olympic bid. IIRC it was meant to basically be stripped down to a high school-sized track/stadium after.:

intro.jpg

chicago-bidx-large.jpg

Chicago-2016-Washington-Park.0.jpg

I miss when stadiums looked like stadiums and not abstract art.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, that's why the L.A. Coliseum and the old Soldier Field were so cool. Football is the gladiator sport and the stadiums reflected it. In 20 years, the Eagles will play in a Santiago Calatrava joint that looks like a cross between an albatross and a vagina.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Let the record show that I made that joke simply based on the Milwaukee Art Museum and the general principle that private parts are funny, but apparently I have unwittingly described Calatrava's World Trade Center PATH station.

https://static.dezeen.com/uploads/2016/08/santiago-calatrava-oculus-world-trade-center-transportation-hub-hufton-crow_dezeen_ss_7-852x609.jpg

That train station is unconscionably expensive and ugly. You can't be both.

I wish Mings were still here so I could rag on him for his Mies love. :( 

I think that shared sliding canopy is a great idea. It wouldn't really keep the cold out in a place like Detroit, but it would keep it dry and that's arguably more important. And when not in use wouldn't be the hulking "Independence Day" alien ship mass looming over the stadium like it is in other retractable roof facilities. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I remember Joe Maddon saying they should explore that option with Raymond James and the new Rays stadium. First, the location would suck. But I'm not sure that'd work. I feel like the canvas arch or whatever wouldn't work aesthetically now. Imagine a neoretro park like Camden Yards with a tarp over it. It'd have to be this massive rigid structure, probably closer to the roof of Minute Maid or Safeco

3 hours ago, charger77 said:

There was talk years back about building separate venues for the Tigers and Lions next to each other in Pontiac with a shared roof.

Image result for tigers lions pontiac concept concepts

Image result for tigers lions pontiac concept concepts

Kansas City was planning on doing this a few years ago. In fact the baseball stadium in yourr picture looks very close to Kauffman.

22 minutes ago, ICTknight said:

Kansas City was planning on doing this a few years ago. In fact the baseball stadium in yourr picture looks very close to Kauffman.

Well, they were planning on it themselves way before the last renovations. It was part of their original conception in the late 60s. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, ICTknight said:

Because it is a copy of Charles Deaton's original Truman Sports Complex plan.  The Truman was to originally have a roof, but a six month labor strike in 1970 pushed the opening back a year.

Deaton ended up suing the Detroit-based firm, O'Dell, Hewlett and Luckenbach, who presented the Detroit/Pontiac plan, for libel in 1972.

I'm pretty sure that is Kansas City (at least the second picture).

schematic.design.report.jpgMO_KC-C205%25252C911301__67074.140600886

1647.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The degree to which Kauffman Stadium was the go to for what a modern ballpark should be is not something I would have figured on. But for a good 20-25 years before Camden, if it wasn't a dome, it was a version of the K that was pitched.

The area around Kauffman and Arrowhead is still pretty suburban with lots of green around, but it appears to have built up quite a bit since the early 70s.  In some of the early pictures of the complex, it looks like there is almost nothing around them.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 25/3/2017 at 3:14 AM, dfwabel said:

Example: Both SS Lazio and ARoma share Rome's Olympic Stadium and with rent and revenues as such, both are looking to build their own venues.

Thank you very much

On 28/3/2017 at 6:31 PM, the admiral said:

Yeah, that's why the L.A. Coliseum and the old Soldier Field were so cool. Football is the gladiator sport and the stadiums reflected it. In 20 years, the Eagles will play in a Santiago Calatrava joint that looks like a cross between an albatross and a vagina.

Caltrava designed what was supposed to hold the 2009 swimming World cup and a basketball/volleyball arena in Roma

omniroma100213012103175140_big.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

150359830-8deb7fe1-2a9c-4d21-b89c-3643ed

Maybe it's not completely unrealized but at this point they're like this and it's unlikely either get completed

3.jpg

Staying in Rome, the previous proposed stadium for Roma

img20110928160402959_900_700.jpeg

Fiorentina

STADIO_big.jpg

Atalanta

222532_637065_Senza_tito_11503994_medium

Cagliari

esterne141127541405113243_big.jpg

Palermo

ststst_4511.jpg

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Siena had a project for a stadium that fit in the Tuscan landscape, shame they never managed to build itb_730_4520CA4B-1874-4C27-85B0-1BE21A2EBA

b_730_E656328E-9C05-40B8-BB24-0A4F4BE8B3

Meanwhile AC Milan's was supposed to fit in with office blocks, with the pitch below ground level

05GML01G01_01_01-593x443.jpg?v=201511101

C_29_fotogallery_1008531__ImageGallery__

The Tokyo National Olympic Stadium that got canceled after they realised that while Zaha Hadid's Vagina Stadiums look cool, they cost a :censored:ton of money

zaha-hadid-national-olympic-stadium-toky

A Le Corbusier concept for a 100.000 capacity stadium in paris

900x720_2049_1748.jpg?r=0

The 49ers late 90's stadium proposal

LmLz8j7.jpg

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived