kiwi_canadian

2017 CFL Uniforms

Recommended Posts

1985GC-BC1.JPG

I did mention my fave Saskatchewan Roughrider look a few posts up, but to me, for my primary team (the B.C. Lions- I live in the Seattle area, which is within the Leos' proximity), the B.C. Lions- this, their uniform set from 1978-89 stands as the best they've looked. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It's a goofy clown suit. The set's biggest sin is the promotion of black to secondary colour status. The Stamps were always a red and white or red and silver team. It was a unique look. Not just in the CFL, but in pro football as a whole. 

Red and black is just so overdone in sports in general. And it was always Ottawa's colour scheme as far as the CFL went. 

 

Calgary apparently designating the black helmets as their full time helmet is just the final straw. A once great and unique look's ruined. 

Can't agree more. 

I'd rather they have the 2 tone helmet than the "all black". But why they ever bothered to change is confusing, they went from overall unique to just "another team".

 

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The helmet with one stripe and white facemask doesn't look right when attached to that jersey. The pants stripe is the least of their worries.

 

Yup. This is page 8 of this thread and I probably have said it 8 times, last year's white helmet is the solution BUT if they only wanted 1 stripe, then they should have gone with the current blue helmet. 

That said, the more I dig into the Argos uniform history the more I like the early 90s set. There was a throwback set (pic below) that I would love to see them go back to. 

Image result for toronto argos uniform

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

Can't agree more. 

I'd rather they have the 2 tone helmet than the "all black". But why they ever bothered to change is confusing, they went from overall unique to just "another team".

 

 

Yup. This is page 8 of this thread and I probably have said it 8 times, last year's white helmet is the solution BUT if they only wanted 1 stripe, then they should have gone with the current blue helmet. 

That said, the more I dig into the Argos uniform history the more I like the early 90s set. There was a throwback set (pic below) that I would love to see them go back to. 

Image result for toronto argos uniform

If the sleeves matched that helmet stripe it'd be better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Mr.Negative15: The Argos uniform set pictured was worn from 1981-88. But I do agree that it is the best the Argos have looked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, johnnysama said:

Re: Mr.Negative15: The Argos uniform set pictured was worn from 1981-88. But I do agree that it is the best the Argos have looked.

Yeah, You are correct. Thank you for correcting me on that.

 

If i'm not mistaken that was the last time we got the "football boat" logo as the primary logo on a helmet. I will fully admit that is a big reason I love that set. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

If the sleeves matched that helmet stripe it'd be better. 

I kinda does in an abstract way, they both go white, Light blue, navy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr.negative15 said:

 

Image result for toronto argos uniform

 

That helmet logo is atrocious.  And the various stripes are incoherent. (Five stripes on the helmet?!)

 

I can understand liking this helmet logo:

 

Image result for flutie argos 1996

 

That's a good logo, even if it has a few too many elements. But the boat logo is crude, appearing not even to have been drawn by a professional.

 

The current logo strips the sheild logo down to its basic component.  The best criterion for judging a logo is how it looks on a cap.  And the Argos' logo looks great on a cap.

Related image

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have very fond memories of the Argos logo with Jason and the shield but as you say, it had too many elements.

I was never a fan of when the Argos made the second blue that teal-ish colour. All in all, it just isn't my choice Argos logo though it is associated with my favorite time in their history. 

 

I agree, the current shield logo is a very nice logo. I'm not even suggesting they change it. It's strong and should stay. 

 

I'm simply saying, as an overall uniform, that late 80s set is my favorite. The logo isn't the world's best but a football as a boat has a very long history of being the Argos logo so there is some nostalgia that makes me appreciate it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Redskins, Dolphins, Lions, and Bills each have 5 stripes on their helmet.. Most older Dolphins helmets also did, as well as many others.. And that Bengals helmet has more stripes than I care to count!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

I have very fond memories of the Argos logo with Jason and the shield but as you say, it had too many elements.

I was never a fan of when the Argos made the second blue that teal-ish colour. All in all, it just isn't my choice Argos logo though it is associated with my favorite time in their history. 

 

I agree, the current shield logo is a very nice logo. I'm not even suggesting they change it. It's strong and should stay. 

 

I'm simply saying, as an overall uniform, that late 80s set is my favorite. The logo isn't the world's best but a football as a boat has a very long history of being the Argos logo so there is some nostalgia that makes me appreciate it. 

 

Of course, it is all just opinion, but I would agree wholeheartedly that the boat logo is great. It seems to me that it is overwhelmingly popular with fans as well. Some of the imperfections that some call amateur, are endearing too many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Can't agree more. 

I'd rather they have the 2 tone helmet than the "all black". But why they ever bothered to change is confusing, they went from overall unique to just "another team".

 

 

Yup. This is page 8 of this thread and I probably have said it 8 times, last year's white helmet is the solution BUT if they only wanted 1 stripe, then they should have gone with the current blue helmet. 

That said, the more I dig into the Argos uniform history the more I like the early 90s set. There was a throwback set (pic below) that I would love to see them go back to. 

Image result for toronto argos uniform

I second that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, johnnysama said:

1985GC-BC1.JPG

I did mention my fave Saskatchewan Roughrider look a few posts up, but to me, for my primary team (the B.C. Lions- I live in the Seattle area, which is within the Leos' proximity), the B.C. Lions- this, their uniform set from 1978-89 stands as the best they've looked. :D

The best uniforms BC has worn, although I'm partial to a black facemask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

The best uniforms BC has worn, although I'm partial to a black facemask.

I always loved these uniforms worn in the 60's:

CFL Jersey BCL1965.png

 

I admit the orange is unique though, I just like the paw print as a logo better. Can't even explain why other than "I just do" haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

I always loved these uniforms worn in the 60's:

CFL Jersey BCL1965.png

 

I admit the orange is unique though, I just like the paw print as a logo better. Can't even explain why other than "I just do" haha. 

39585.jpg

 

I think BC would look fantastic with an orange helmet full-time. 

9530745-clelin-ferrell-ncaa-football-tro

 

9736449-ncaa-football-acc-championship-c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I recall those throwbacks @nash61. I thought it was cool they brought back the paw logo. Really liked that they did that.

I don't know if it's the lack of a helmet stripe or if I just prefer the black as the base but I do prefer the black helmets with the paw logo. This picture gives a better idea of the striping on the helmet:

Image result for bc lions uniform history

 

To your point: I'd agree that orange is unique and they should own it. It's better than any white, grey or, black helmet (with the exception, in my opinion, of the black one I posted) that they've had before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2017 at 10:11 AM, johnnysama said:

1985GC-BC1.JPG

I did mention my fave Saskatchewan Roughrider look a few posts up, but to me, for my primary team (the B.C. Lions- I live in the Seattle area, which is within the Leos' proximity), the B.C. Lions- this, their uniform set from 1978-89 stands as the best they've looked. :D

 

The BEST BC Lions uniform. Period. The uniform set from 2005-15 was just a return to orange and white but a cheapened version of the 80's classic. The helmet and jersey stripes make all the difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone else notice that the Argonauts went all white with light blue socks? I thought that was a lot better than the color rush white look they have been using a lot as of late. I also noticed that the Alouettes wore their red uniform with blue pants and red socks and I honestly much prefer the Als' using their white pants with the red jersey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

0774143.gif

Here's an Argo logo that was utilized, albeit sparingly, during the same mid-to-late-1990s era as the "Jason-Shield" mark. Minus the wordmark-and-wave, I think it could make a great sleeve logo, with the "Jason-Shield" on the helmets. It goes without saying that the team's color scheme would be "Double Blue".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Did anyone else notice that the Argonauts went all white with light blue socks? I thought that was a lot better than the color rush white look they have been using a lot as of late. I also noticed that the Alouettes wore their red uniform with blue pants and red socks and I honestly much prefer the Als' using their white pants with the red jersey. 

Agreed. That was the best the Argos have looked all season.

 

Red jersey + blue pants doesn't work for the Als.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now