NSLthe2nd's General Concepts Thread (Currently: Two PRO Rugby rebranding attempts, Illustrator 2016)

NSLthe2nd

Hey everyone. I used to be known as The NSL on these forums years ago. When Colours of Football had a forum, I went by my real name. This thread will serve as a general works section for me. Most of what you'll see will be on Paint, since I've been used to doing it, but will have occasional sketches and stuff on more advanced programs like Adobe Illustrator. Ultimately, this would be considered a self-motivational thread, since I feel I've lost touch with design, and want to get back into it.

I previously had a thread here from 2008 to 2009, The NSL's WTF Thread. But here I am, nearly 9 years later, new username, a lot calmer.

vwhjerseystrans.png

Most of the works here on this first post will be COF Paint+ works done from November 2009 until the closing of the forums. Continuing on my take on MLS clubs from the end of the WTF Thread continued with an Umbro Vancouver Whitecaps take.

stuttgart.png

A VfB Stuttgart home concept, with PUMA.

southampton.png

A Southampton away kit with Umbro.

Santander.png

A Racing Santander away kit with SLAM, for a contest.

dcusamp.png

Continuing the MLS concepts, there was the first version of the DC United entry, with shades of techfit.

Much appreciated. I actually prefer Paint and pixel art (it's an acquired taste), but I guess once I get a feeling for it, I'll do more Illustrator work as time progresses.

Still going back into the COF Archives, from 2010:

dcufront.png

dcuwip.png

More old DC United concepts.

CHIfrontwip.png

After DC United, there was an updated Chicago Fire PUMA concept in 2010.

BVBBorked.png

A European home kit for Borussia Dortmund. The two tones of yellow were intentional.

AjaxCT_zps1374d295.png

Rounding off this post, an Ajax Cape Town (South Africa's ABSA Premiership) home kit.

The last of my COF forum Paint kits and a more recent set will be shown here:

StMirren.png

A kit for Scottish club St. Mirren.

StGallen.png

The last of my COF mainline work, a quickly done St. Gallen's (Switzerland) home kit in 2013. I may come back to cover other COF work, mainly stuff for a user-run created league that ran there.

MontclairRFC1.png

Recently, I made a couple sets for the rugby team I play for at the end of 2015. I made the shield logo on this concept on Illustrator, the first time in several months I even used it around that time. You could say I had fallen out of favor with making stuff at that time. IMG_20170326_225846.jpg

The most recent posted Paint work I've done was this Nike Barbarian FC rugby concept from last year.

Thank you very much, Raysox. Coming from you, this means a lot.

Moving on to a couple more basic works in Illustrator. When PRO Rugby began play last year, I immediately thought of team identities to apply for the five clubs that competed. The league had openly said the colors and designs used for each team weren't final, but they did have a Name the Team contest wherein fans can submit team names in the first round, and the most requested three for each would be submitted in the final round. I took matters in my own hands, and I have two rebranding attempts to show.

First things first, this post I made on my social media accounts:

PRORugbyNames1.pngPRORugbyNames2.png

Since San Diego has and actual rugby team named the Armada, I'd decided to rename them the Admirals.

ObetzPL0.png

The team that ended being the Ohio Aviators I had as the Obetz BlueCollars/Blue Collars, first draft. I can't draw fancy letters yet, haha.

ObetzPL1.png

A second take, with a more serious block B and dropshadow.

NCRbig.png

The team that ended up being the Sacramento Express I had as Northern California Rugby, or NorCal Rugby. Here's a first draft.

NorCal1.png

A second draft, with thicker strokes.

I never finished the rebranding project, and never even made uniforms. Perhaps I may return to it, if I'm feeling up for it.

Archived