Western Athletic Conference Rebirth

raysox

Team Banners.jpg

This is the kind of thing a graphic designer with degrees in sport management and geography does. The Western Athletic Conference once was a proud football giant killer, but conference realignment has forced the WAC to retreat and become refuge for mismatched colleges trying to land on their feet.

I say go on the offensive and build off what you have. Currently they have 8 schools in 8 states, none of which are where the conference offices are located. I propose making sure your teams are as western as possible, all acting as a travel partner for an existing school, making weekend trips easier on all involved. Cut the fat(Chicago State), and expand smartly. Ideally two current D1 schools(Denver and UN-Omaha), and two notable D2 schools(UC-San Diego, and Simon Fraser in Burnaby, BC).

My goals are to build a presence, engage with the students, make things accessible, centralize business, and most importantly build a cohesive brand over all schools, sports, and applications.

I moved the HQ to Phoenix, a larger area than Denver with all the facilities to host any conference tournament you could ever imagine.

Also one last thing from me, I rebranded Simon Fraser University, you will see why below.

Wac Stats.png

Map2.jpg

Phoenix Map.jpg

Wactivate.jpg

Sports.jpg

Basketball.jpg

All.jpg

I would appreciate a like  on behance if you've got it!

https://www.behance.net/gallery/50719489/Western-Athletic-Conference-Rebirth

Also shout out to low res jpgs

I'm not sure if others here can see it, but I can't see the Simon Fraser rebrand image here, unlike on the original Behance. Otherwise, I like this presentation a lot. I kinda got caught off guard with #WACtivate, though.

I'll agree with Jaha about the spacing for S and K on the Basketball Tournament logo.

I was gonna post the complete rebrand on here tomorrow, just for the full effect. Should've mentioned that haha.  But thanks guys. On the SK thing, they're all the same width, but the S and K have the most to compare with. If you look at the ETB you can see the spacing is the same.

Here is my Simon Fraser concept! They're currently the only NCAA school located in Canada, and is in the Vancouver market. That's why I chose them. Their branding  is far behind, however.

The current marks look like this

simon-fraser-university-logo.jpeg

45.jpg

So what I went for was an actual mascot mark. Their mascot is a big ol' Scottie with a kilt and a mustache named McFogg.

1414087853951.jpg

So that's what I went for. The tuft under the neck is in the shape of a maple leaf. The scripts are simple with the ends of the banner resembling a maple leaf. Finally, the official tartan pattern of the Fraser clan is pictured above, so I slightly modified it for a simpler mark to use over uniforms.

SFU-01.png

Nicely done on the rebrand of the WAC. I am a fan of the WAC because of the Div I men's soccer. Denver is the powerhouse in the conference and them making the College Cup semifinals shows their intent for years to come. Love to see a WAC soccer tournament logo. Keep up the great work. 

NpTodZP.png

It's funny you say that because I thought about it. So minus New Mexico State, plus the 5 schools currently in the WAC for Men's Soccer, that's 16. A divisional split would be easy on travel, then a playoff to determine an inter-divisional champion would take place in the championship weekend at the Phoenix Rising stadium being built. Those schools are Houston Baptist,  Air Force, Incarnate Word, UNLV, and San Jose State.

Soccer.png

26 minutes ago, raysox said:

It's funny you say that because I thought about it. So minus New Mexico State, plus the 5 schools currently in the WAC for Men's Soccer, that's 16. A divisional split would be easy on travel, then a playoff to determine an inter-divisional champion would take place in the championship weekend at the Phoenix Rising stadium being built. Those schools are Houston Baptist,  Air Force, Incarnate Word, UNLV, and San Jose State.

Soccer.png

That is a very good idea about doing a divisional split - an east/west WAC divisions. I have always been a fan of Seattle University and their soccer program. Been to a few of their home matches over the years (nicely situated downtown Seattle). 

NpTodZP.png

9 hours ago, Balu the Bare said:

I love the SFU update, but I wonder how long the name "clan" will work for an ncaa program...

This name originates from the Frasers of Lovat, similarly to the crest and motto. This piece, while asking the school to change the name, a move I disagree with, has some more information.

http://www.the-peak.ca/2016/10/sfu-clan-should-pick-a-new-name/

That the NCAA hasn't asked them to change it shows that they likely won't.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

1 hour ago, stumpygremlin said:

This name originates from the Frasers of Lovat, similarly to the crest and motto. This piece, while asking the school to change the name, a move I disagree with, has some more information.

http://www.the-peak.ca/2016/10/sfu-clan-should-pick-a-new-name/

That the NCAA hasn't asked them to change it shows that they likely won't.

I assumed the origins of the name, my point was that somewhere down the line the school will get noticed and how long will the name be able to stay once that happens? There's already support (albeit one article that you've showed me) for a name change and links drawn and precedent for changing names found to be controversial. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, just putting that thought out there.

I like this project just on the geography itself since I am a geography buff myself.

What this would do would give the WAC 6 pairs of 2 teams, similar to the Pac-12. This would make scheduling easier for basketball. On one weekend, you would have a pair of teams (Say... Seattle and Simon Fraser) host another pair (Omaha and UMKC) on a Thursday night and a Saturday night.

In fact, the pairs would be really easy to know...

-Northwest (Seattle and Simon Fraser)

-California (CSU Bakersfield and Cal Baptist)

-Mountain (Utah Valley and Denver)

-Midwest (Omaha and UMKC)

-Southwest (New Mexico State and UTRGV)

-Southern Valley (UC San Diego and Grand Canyon)

This is great! I really miss watching WAC Football. This project was well though out not only from a design standpoint but also from a geographic and business stand point as well. 1 question for you, on the Behance page you have some social media graphics, which look great, how did you make that paint brush effect?

Siginature.png.90aaa7d86f8ba1448206f0cbc8f97442.pngBahamasBowl_SIG.pngCxpIxxZ.png

58 minutes ago, raysox said:

So a while ago I found these paint brush photoshop brushes and there's like 20 of them and really cool. Any way, I make them super big and stamped it down for the cool effect. 

Ahhh, time to see what a Google search brings up. Thanks!

Siginature.png.90aaa7d86f8ba1448206f0cbc8f97442.pngBahamasBowl_SIG.pngCxpIxxZ.png

Archived