jimsimo

Cleveland Browns re-do in the works for 2020?

Without having read the actual Browns-related rumors in this thread, and responding only to the thread's title: it better be. 

On 8/23/2017 at 1:44 PM, Lights Out said:

The one on the bottom is perfect, although I doubt they'd be allowed to use the Indians' block C in real life.

I like this concept too:

1YMaeOG.jpg

Aw, gee thanks!

17 hours ago, DNAsports said:

FFS when is this ridiculous argument going to end?

I'm perfectly aware they were actually named after their coach, but their primary color has been brown since 1946.

11 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

While it isn't ironic, it is a strange coincidence. Also, consider that the Chicago Cardinals moved to St. Louis, the home of the baseball Cardinals; and the Cincinnati Royals moved to Kansas City, home to baseball's Royals. The football Cardinals saw no need to change their nickname; while basketball's Royals became the Kings.

Anyway, the transplanted Browns were introduced at their first press conference after the move as the Baltimore Browns; and it should have stayed that way. This isn't a case like the Dodgers, Lakers, Jazz, Oilers, Senators, North Stars, or Rockies, where the nickname makes no sense in the new city. The nickname "Browns" is from the team's history, and so should follow the team to any new home.

Probably because the football Cardinals were the NFL's inaugural franchise while the Royals/Kings were an expansion team; it makes sense that the Cardinals kept their name when moving from CHI to STL.

Also, if I know this to be correct (I wasn't born when the Browns moved), the issue was never with Baltimore rejecting the "Browns" moniker nor did the NFL have an issue with the "Baltimore Browns". The issue lied with the city of Cleveland; the NFL was about to face legal action and to avoid a potential lawsuit they made the deal to create an expansion "Browns".

17 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

That’s a good way to sum it up. Their identity seems a bit generic and non commital to me. How do flames represent Titans?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Prometheus-Greek-god

The Titan Prometheus was the being who gave mankind fire in Greek mythology. So the central emblem of the Tennessee state flag on fire isn’t a bad way to convey “Tennessee Titans” in shorthand. 

That being said? The identity as a whole is terribly dated. It’ll never happen but I’m all for the return of the Tennessee Oilers. Just bring back that last Oilers set. It was perfect. 

We have the LA Lakers and Utah Jazz. “Tennessee Oilers” works just fine. Getting that amazing uniform set back would be worth the name quirk alone. 

4 hours ago, bwburke94 said:

I'm perfectly aware they were actually named after their coach, but their primary color has been brown since 1946.

So that means they can't have an alternate jersey based on a color in the color scheme? If I'm going to be honest, the orange jersey in their current set looks way better than the brown.

I'd rather see the Titans come up with a new design that emphasizes light blue than go back to Oilers, which at this point should stay buried if it can't go back to Houston.

But let's be honest, Nashville is really feelin' itself a little too much with their "Athens of the South" sobriquet. "Yeah, we're the city that craps out formulaic country music and we have lots of bars that everyone comes to for stupid bachelorette parties. We are also the modern incarnation of one of the greatest achievements of the ancient world."

*girl who makes pensive ukelele covers on youtube* "I like to call my bedroom the La Scala of Los Angeles"

8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Prometheus-Greek-god

The Titan Prometheus was the being who gave mankind fire in Greek mythology. So the central emblem of the Tennessee state flag on fire isn’t a bad way to convey “Tennessee Titans” in shorthand. 

That being said? The identity as a whole is terribly dated. It’ll never happen but I’m all for the return of the Tennessee Oilers. Just bring back that last Oilers set. It was perfect. 

We have the LA Lakers and Utah Jazz. “Tennessee Oilers” works just fine. Getting that amazing uniform set back would be worth the name quirk alone. 

After reading how I phrased it, I see I made it sound like I was questioning the design elements they did use, but moreso I’m questioning they way they utilize them to build their story. To a kid, or someone who doesn’t know or care to do the research, it’s not all there. There’s not really anything that says “Greek mythology” about the whole thing and even the stars are kinda stretching the signature of the state flag (which has a very specific arrangement for the stars). I hope they take the good stuff they have and roll it into a really good, understandable format.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'd rather see the Titans come up with a new design that emphasizes light blue than go back to Oilers, which at this point should stay buried if it can't go back to Houston.

But let's be honest, Nashville is really feelin' itself a little too much with their "Athens of the South" sobriquet. "Yeah, we're the city that craps out formulaic country music and we have lots of bars that everyone comes to for stupid bachelorette parties. We are also the modern incarnation of one of the greatest achievements of the ancient world."

The Titans' identity/Nashville in general is about as Greek as Disney's Hercules

hades-gif-8.gif

Back to the Browns, I think they could be the only NFL team to pull off a Creme/"Vintage White" look. It'd fit the whole "old-time football" character of the identity.

Hmmmmmmm. That just might work. Do you think it would be a bit much to have cream jerseys, pants, and socks together? Because that's my ideal Browns road set.

24 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Back to the Browns, I think they could be the only NFL team to pull off a Creme/"Vintage White" look. It'd fit the whole "old-time football" character of the identity.

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Hmmmmmmm. That just might work. Do you think it would be a bit much to have cream jerseys, pants, and socks together? Because that's my ideal Browns road set.

Either cream or a lighter gray would fit in nicely with the Browns' color scheme.

This is may be the most pub I think the Titans have ever gotten around these parts...

To hit on a few things:

No argument on the bolded...that said, in fairness to Nashville, this whole "Athens of the South" mantra dates back to the 1800s. That being said...that part of Nashville lore hardly if ever gets talked about and certainly not emphasized in the sports branding (since we all know country music takes the cake around here, never mind the fact that's not even the reason for Nashville's "Music City" nickname--but that's another story for another time), so at least the Titans have that working for them. Speaking of that...

After reading how I phrased it, I see I made it sound like I was questioning the design elements they did use, but moreso I’m questioning they way they utilize them to build their story. To a kid, or someone who doesn’t know or care to do the research, it’s not all there. There’s not really anything that says “Greek mythology” about the whole thing and even the stars are kinda stretching the signature of the state flag (which has a very specific arrangement for the stars). I hope they take the good stuff they have and roll it into a really good, understandable format.

I think the blessing of being so detail-oriented as far as graphic design goes can also be our very same vice...which is to say that I think we tend to think WAY too deep into things, sometimes.

This exchange almost shades toward the whole "lions aren't blue! Eagles aren't green!" territory. I mean at least blue flames are an actual thing (maybe not columbia blue flames, but still 😄), but I think the logo conveys the idea of a flaming shield enough to at least get the point across. One of the things I've come to realize in the 11 years I been chasing this pipe dream of mine is that not everything has to be so literal. The other thing we need to remember is that we're a special segment of society up in here...not everyone on the outside world out there sees things the way we do. :D

On 11/5/2017 at 7:01 AM, bwburke94 said:

Yeah, but so what?  The Packers’ primary color has been green since 1959, and they do just fine with gold helmets. 

On 11/3/2017 at 6:04 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Point one: while the Titans' logo doesn't pass the "doodle test," the Texans' logo does. It's also far more striking than the Oilers' old logo. Besides, the "doodle test" isn't the be-all-end-all test of whether or not a logo is good.

Point two: that was the worst feature of the "classic" Oilers set. If the uniforms had red as the center stripe color, it might have been better, but having Columbia Blue as the center color leads to a kind of striping that only the Bulls, Spurs, and inaugural Wild uniforms can get away with, the floating stripes:

oilers-2.jpg 0b2cacc0-280a-11e6-b5f4-25d39bfadcbd_71466600.jpg

Floating stripes look ugly in football, no matter the color scheme:

FLGatorsNCAANikeUF15WhiteReplicaFootball13964164],sizedata[850x600]&call=url[file:product.chain]

The center color of a striping pattern should NEVER be the same color as the background. It's why I wish Florida would redo their white jersey and pants stripes to match their alternate helmet:

floridawhitexp.jpg

The graphics may blow, but the striping pattern is much more pleasing. 

To me, the red in the Oilers jersey is what makes the stripe pattern work.  It appears every time the stripes are used but isn't used as a jersey or pant color.  Therefore, the order never has to change.

What bothers me about Florida is that they are (generally) so insistent on maintaining the O/B/W/B/O pattern that it almost looks a total separate pattern on different jerseys/uses.

It looks like two-colored Northwestern stripes on the blue jersey.  

tim-tebow-ftr-042015-getty_2uycyv4ofpyn1

Meanwhile, the orange disappears on the orange helmet and pants so it looks like a B/W/B Braisher stripe.

Florida-Gators-Football-North-Texas-Mean

As a result, the pattern is changed on the orange jersey.

University-Of-Florida-Gators-Football-Or

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

In 1983, the Indiana Hoosiers replaced all the white in their uniform, home and road, with cream...

cTr7JZ1.jpg4JUCfGD.jpg3438384.jpg

I know that these images are a bit mucked up, color wise, but trust me.  I saw these in person in either 83 or 84, and that was straight up cream.  The helmet logo literally looked like it was made of masking tape. 

I actually did an off-white Browns' concept... here...

20 hours ago, the admiral said:

Socks, yes.  

I stand by my conviction that socks and pants should never match.