Players on the "RIGHT" Team, but "WRONG" Uniform

On 5/1/2017 at 7:30 AM, Ray Lankford said:

And speaking of the Angels and Tim Salmon in particular, I'll add:

IMG_2435.JPG.42be1d63e46f198401b9c6f8d7a32839.JPG

I don't see why that would be the "wrong" uniform. He played five years in that one, preceded by five years in the Disney unis and four years in the 'CA' uniforms.

However ...

tim-salmon-starts-angel-career.jpg.a96818ce85ea8fe457eed72bb19ac9e3.jpg

He made his ML debut in late 1992, the last year of the 1980s era uniforms and ...

592ffa1762d23_Salmonred.jpg.46da4f4d1e81af9dff66163584ca116d.jpg

... after retiring in 2006, he was honored by the Angels early in 2007 and came out wearing the red alternate, which had been introduced that season and was never worn by Salmon as an active player.

• Like 2

Y'know, an interesting case I hadn't really thought about until now is Luke Appling (who may be one of the more underrated baseball players of his time). It's a bit of a different spin on the thread subject, but one I think still applies.

Appling may be a very rare case of a player playing for the same franchise his entire career (20 seasons with the White Sox), but yet not having a "right" uniform set to associate with him iconically. According to what I can find on Dressed to the Nines, the longest he wore any particular uniform set (both home and road together) was four seasons - and that happened three times. The White Sox made some sort of uniform change, major or minor, nine times during his career (1930-43, 1945-50) by my count. The tricky part is that sometimes these changes would only be made to just the home uniform or just the road uniform (more often the home), so the White Sox often had a jumbled, mismatching, inconsistent identity during that period of time.

So, which of those three sets he wore for four seasons would be right? If any? The interesting thing to note here is that he did wear one road uniform for seven years. This one was worn (again, according to DTTN) in some capacity from 1932-38, but - due to that aforementioned tendency to switch things up often - it was paired with two completely different home uniforms over that time:

IMG_6436.JPG.28ff893eec462931f35669bfc2d898d5.JPG

So an argument could be made that, of individual uniforms, this one could be right. However, regarding particular sets, it's a bit too tricky to pinpoint one in particular.

There's this one, from 1932-35:

IMG_6437.GIF.2a321d502687b26fbf71a2a7e4f2d3d0.GIF

This one from 1939-41 and again in 1943:

IMG_6440.GIF.b3494f6ef9e27205a552931fbb10ed28.GIF

And this one from 1945-48 (Differences being new piping, different "SOX", and red "C" on home cap):

IMG_6439.GIF.dea964e60e8191ac7988de9b445289ab.GIF

And if you want to use success as a tie-breaker, he got elected to All-Star games wearing the 2nd and 3rd one, and won a batting title in the 3rd one (but also was wearing the road uniform of the 1st one, albeit in the following set when he won his first batting title), and Chicago never won a pennant during his career. So that doesn't help any break away!

I thus am not sure not only what the "right" uniform set would be for Appling, but the "wrong" ones also (strictly as a player, not counting his time as a manager or coach). It is indeed a very interesting case.

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

11 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

This will probably grow more and more wrong as his career goes on (especially since it's a terrible jersey)

IMG_8932.JPG

This is the Right team wrong uniform thread. He's a Rocket now that his career really took off after the switch

On 2017-6-1 at 1:12 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

Y'know, an interesting case I hadn't really thought about until now is Luke Appling (who may be one of the more underrated baseball players of his time). It's a bit of a different spin on the thread subject, but one I think still applies.

Appling may be a very rare case of a player playing for the same franchise his entire career (20 seasons with the White Sox), but yet not having a "right" uniform set to associate with him iconically. According to what I can find on Dressed to the Nines, the longest he wore any particular uniform set (both home and road together) was four seasons - and that happened three times. The White Sox made some sort of uniform change, major or minor, nine times during his career (1930-43, 1945-50) by my count. The tricky part is that sometimes these changes would only be made to just the home uniform or just the road uniform (more often the home), so the White Sox often had a jumbled, mismatching, inconsistent identity during that period of time.

So, which of those three sets he wore for four seasons would be right? If any? The interesting thing to note here is that he did wear one road uniform for seven years. This one was worn (again, according to DTTN) in some capacity from 1932-38, but - due to that aforementioned tendency to switch things up often - it was paired with two completely different home uniforms over that time:

IMG_6436.JPG.28ff893eec462931f35669bfc2d898d5.JPG

So an argument could be made that, of individual uniforms, this one could be right. However, regarding particular sets, it's a bit too tricky to pinpoint one in particular.

There's this one, from 1932-35:

IMG_6437.GIF.2a321d502687b26fbf71a2a7e4f2d3d0.GIF

This one from 1939-41 and again in 1943:

IMG_6440.GIF.b3494f6ef9e27205a552931fbb10ed28.GIF

And this one from 1945-48 (Differences being new piping, different "SOX", and red "C" on home cap):

IMG_6439.GIF.dea964e60e8191ac7988de9b445289ab.GIF

And if you want to use success as a tie-breaker, he got elected to All-Star games wearing the 2nd and 3rd one, and won a batting title in the 3rd one (but also was wearing the road uniform of the 1st one, albeit in the following set when he won his first batting title), and Chicago never won a pennant during his career. So that doesn't help any break away!

I thus am not sure not only what the "right" uniform set would be for Appling, but the "wrong" ones also (strictly as a player, not counting his time as a manager or coach). It is indeed a very interesting case.

The right uniform for Luke Appling:

Image result for luke appling  old timer home run

Kidding.  Though that was a great moment, and probably the one single feat for which he is most remembered.  (For you kiddies: at age 75 in 1982, he hit a home run against Warren Spahn in an Old-Timers' Game played at RFK Stadium.)

But you make a great point about Appling's career.  This is true for anyone who played a long time for the White Sox in any era, be it Appling, Ted Lyons, or Luis Aparicio.  Even Carlton Fisk wore four different styles.  The defining feature of the White Sox for their entire existence was their changing look.  It's amazing that this came to a halt in 1̶9̶8̶7̶ [edit: 1991, or, more accurately, late 1990], when they adopted the uniforms that they still wear.  The Sox have now completely turned it around, and have become one of the most stable teams, uniform-wise.

Indeed, all four of the big uniform changes that came in for 1987 lasted a very long time.  Three of them (Sox, Braves, A's) are still with us; and one (Twins) was around until only a couple of years ago. [Edit: @mpcincal has corrected my erroneous assertion that the current Sox uniform debuted in 1987.]

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

25 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The right uniform for Luke Appling:

Image result for luke appling  old timer home run

Kidding.  Though that was a great moment, and probably the one single feat for which he is most remembered.  (For you kiddies: at age 75 in 1982, he hit a home run against Warren Spahn in an Old-Timers' Game played at RFK Stadium.)

But you make a great point about Appling's career.  This is true for anyone who played a long time for the White Sox in any era, be it Appling, Ted Lyons, or Luis Aparicio.  Even Carlton Fisk wore four different styles.  The defining feature of the White Sox for their entire existence was their changing look.  It's amazing that this came to a halt in 1987, when they adopted the uniforms that they still wear. 

I was actually almost going to post a video of the home run originally! Now I can't resist, here it is for the masses:

I too find it funny that it took the White Sox so long to finally settle on an identity. The reward is that they settled on the right one, but all the switching up did thier legends no favors by not providing them an iconic look to own. Nellie Fox may be the exception, as if I recall correctly he wore the Go-Go set for most of his time there, but do a Google Image search of Appling, Lyons, Aparicio, Fisk, etc., and it's baffling how many different White Sox sets pop up.

• Like 4

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

51662227_crop_north.jpg?1337048812&w=630&h=420

Carter in the Red Raptors Set. Originally unveiled as an alternate, I believe Carter wore this jersey for 1 year. 

As for one that I found interesting..... how about Mark Recchi, John Leclair & Eric Lindros:

Mark+Recchi+2012+Bridgestone+NHL+Winter+

I don't think any of these guys wore this jersey during their time with the Flyers, yet here they are sporting it in the 2012 Alumni Winter Classic Game. 

P.S. Now, can someone correct me if I'm wrong..... but didn't Peja Stojakovic wear the Powder Blue Kings set? I can't find any pics of this, but I swear he did for one year or preseason.... if someone can help me find a picture, it'd be much appreciated. 

• Like 1

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

43 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

51662227_crop_north.jpg?1337048812&w=630&h=420

Carter in the Red Raptors Set. 

P.S. Now, can someone correct me if I'm wrong..... but didn't Peja Stojakovic wear the Powder Blue Kings set? I can't find any pics of this, but I swear he did for one year or preseason.... if someone can help me find a picture, it'd be much appreciated. 

The jersey being worn by Carter there looks pretty good, and I didn't otherwise care for that set.

As far as Peja goes, are you talking about him wearing the baby blue set as a throwback? He might have done that, but he was definitely not in the NBA during the 1980s.

6 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

The jersey being worn by Carter there looks pretty good, and I didn't otherwise care for that set.

As far as Peja goes, are you talking about him wearing the baby blue set as a throwback? He might have done that, but he was definitely not in the NBA during the 1980s.

Oh, I know. He came over during the 98-99 season. It might have been a throwback night. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

15 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The defining feature of the White Sox for their entire existence was their changing look.  It's amazing that this came to a halt in 1987, when they adopted the uniforms that they still wear.  The Sox have now completely turned it around, and have become one of the most stable teams, uniform-wise.

Indeed, all four of the big uniform changes that came in for 1987 lasted a very long time.  Three of them (Sox, Braves, A's) are still with us; and one (Twins) was around until only a couple of years ago.

Actually, the White Sox started their current look in 1991 (though I believe they jumped the gun a bit and actually started wearing those unis in the waning days of the 1990 season). In 1987, they changed to the cursive "C" on the caps, with the cursive "White Sox" on the home jerseys. A pretty uninspired set that didn't last too long.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, mpcincal said:
16 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The defining feature of the White Sox for their entire existence was their changing look.  It's amazing that this came to a halt in 1987, when they adopted the uniforms that they still wear.  The Sox have now completely turned it around, and have become one of the most stable teams, uniform-wise.

Actually, the White Sox started their current look in 1991 (though I believe they jumped the gun a bit and actually started wearing those unis in the waning days of the 1990 season).

Ah, right you are!  Thanks for the correction. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, chrispw12 said:

Kind of like Phil Neikro with the Braves, he wore several versions of the uniform with the Braves including the one they've been wearing since the mid 80s at the end of his career

Ah yes, that's another great example. I'm a 90's kid so I didn't ever watch him, but I seem to come across more pictures of him in either the early 80's pullovers or the '69 set, so I personally have always associated him with those. But he still wore something like five or six sets in Atlanta, right? I don't know that he has a particular definitive set either.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

14 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

2004-05 Season

1073-t1370165-340.jpg

Oh here and are other pics...

sacramento-kings-peja-stojakovic-l-passepeja-stojakovic-hugs-kobe-bryant-before-

• Like 2