Players on the "RIGHT" Team, but "WRONG" Uniform

On 12/9/2017 at 7:48 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Like Reggie, Rickey Henderson abandoned his original A's number, no. 35, upon coming to the Yankees; and, like Reggie, Rickey became better known for his Yankee number, and wore it even upon his return to the A's. But Rickey returned mid-career, whereas Reggie had returned only for his final year. So the A's wound up retiring Rickey's Yankee number, no. 24; while for Reggie they retired his original A's number, no. 9.

Rickey Henderson has the most ridiculous Baseball Reference page I've ever seen.  Consider all the jerseys he wore, the number of years he played, the number of times he was traded and has split-year stats, it's just crazy to look at.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/henderi01.shtml

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

WRONG THREAD

chill out bro.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

000506f056b9b74c53f559ce8b37bea4--sports

The great Cardinals Bob Gibson in his 'right' uniform and the right team (the traditional style w/a buttoned jersey and belted trousers). But....

bob-gibson-of-the-st-louis-cardinals-win

This? The beltless pants/pullover jersey combo he wore in the last five years of his career? Not so much.

• Like 4

UBwef0L.png

• 2 weeks later...

football-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-with-team-in-huddle-during-picture-id81451695?k=6&m=81451695&s=612bw0q2ouETIbIjcZGmcM5cycmzk=

Eli Manning's rookie season in 2004 was the only year he wore the Giants road uniform where the names on the back were in blue instead of red (which they changed the following year)

He wore this for only 7 games during his streak of 210 consecutive reg. season games (222 if you count playoffs)

Keith_Hernandez_Marc_Hill_St._Louis_Card

Pay attention to the guy on the left, who is Keith Hernandez (and yes, I know he won World Series titles with both the Cardinals and Mets); this is him in 1972, wearing the 'old-style' Cardinal uniform that had been ditched by the team after 1970, two years before this pic was taken (also note he is minus his famous mustache; by the time Hernandez played his first Major League game in '74, they had gone to their second iteration of their beltless pants/pullover jersey combo; the guy on the right is Marc Hill).

• Like 2

UBwef0L.png

On 12/12/2017 at 11:09 PM, johnnysama said:

19c56e274cc11e742f2027832bf66de0--patrio

Andre Tippett, New England Patriot LB extraordinaire in the 1980s, spent his last year of his career in the first-generation 'Flying Elvis' style uniforms.

On 12/13/2017 at 7:30 AM, Lenny Dykstra said:

Funny that this is always the go-to picture whenever that Patriots uniform is brought up

Even for one year, that uniform was garbage

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

Just saw this and it kinda blew my mind. Roberto Clemente wore the uniform on the left in 1955 and 1956. The team changed to the vest style, which seems to be the "iconic" uni for Clemente, in 1957.

https://twitter.com/uniformcritic/status/947460784975695873

Edited by Frylock
Apparently I can't embed a tweet anymore...

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

88_27342a_lg.jpeg

The only two-time Heisman winner, Archie Griffin, in his "wrong uniform": He spent the last two years of his pro career in the "tiger-stripe" Bengals set (he's more associated with the more plainer looking set); he appeared in Super Bowl XVI wearing that very uniform pictured.

UBwef0L.png

On 12/3/2017 at 3:26 AM, SabresRule7361 said:

023.jpg?itok=qmXs6zC4

Bill Parcells with attire consisting of the old Patriots logo/look, a style he never coached New England in (changed logo/design for his first year there)

I always thought the red facemask on these helmets was a big improvement over white. 

48109_01_lg.jpg

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

12 hours ago, johnnysama said:

88_27342a_lg.jpeg

The only two-time Heisman winner, Archie Griffin, in his "wrong uniform": He spent the last two years of his pro career in the "tiger-stripe" Bengals set (he's more associated with the more plainer looking set); he appeared in Super Bowl XVI wearing that very uniform pictured.

story: Sometime in the 90's when I was 8 or 9 I was at an Ohio State hockey game with my dad who knew Archie Griffin through his job in Columbus media sales and he introduced me. Being a bigger Bengals fan than Ohio State fan my first question was "what it was like to play in the Super Bowl?". Archie Griffin couldn't believe I A. knew he played in the Super Bowl and B. that I asked him about his time in the NFL rather than the Heismans. Somewhere in my parents' house is a picture of the two of us. 

Here's another wrong uniform because MESH FOOTBALL PANTS!!!!

archie_griffin_1978_09_24.jpg

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png