Players on the "RIGHT" Team, but "WRONG" Uniform

On 4/2/2017 at 9:32 AM, kroywen said:

J.D. Drew during his very first month with the Cardinals, as a September call-up in 1998. What's wrong about this uniform? It was the second of the Cardinals' two season experiment without front numbers. The front numbers would return in 1999, when Drew would stick in the majors for most of the season:

71KdnL1w6PL._SY450_.jpg

Wow, I have no memory of the Cardinals ever not having front uniform numbers. I've seen the McGwire record-setting home run a million times, and in fact own that book thing Sporting News made, but would have bet every cent in my bank account that that uniform had numbers on the front. This feels like a Berenstein/Berenstain Bears thing here...

24 minutes ago, DoubleStraps said:

Wow, I have no memory of the Cardinals ever not having front uniform numbers. I've seen the McGwire record-setting home run a million times, and in fact own that book thing Sporting News made, but would have bet every cent in my bank account that that uniform had numbers on the front. This feels like a Berenstein/Berenstain Bears thing here...

It's the perfect example of the Mandela effect - I bet 99 out of 100 baseball fans who remember that moment would think that he was wearing a front number when it happened. It looks incredibly strange to see that uniform sans front number, to the point that you can tell something is wrong, but can't quite put your finger on it (until realizing what it is).

46 minutes ago, kroywen said:
1 hour ago, DoubleStraps said:

It's the perfect example of the Mandela effect - I bet 99 out of 100 baseball fans who remember that moment would think that he was wearing a front number when it happened. It looks incredibly strange to see that uniform sans front number, to the point that you can tell something is wrong, but can't quite put your finger on it (until realizing what it is).

On that "Mandela effect" thing -- the stupid people who think that Mandela died in prison have to somehow have overlooked this iconic moment:

Image result for nelson mandela yankees

• Like 3

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 3/31/2017 at 7:22 PM, insert name said:

Marshall Faulk

IMG_9648.JPG

Although Faulk played but one season in these threads, I cannot think of them as "wrong" for him. The 1999 Rams' turnaround was so shocking that it was dominating NFL news that season, and Faulk's acquisition was right in the middle of that. Even if they hadn't won the Super Bowl, we would still remember Faulk in these uniforms along with the Y2K crap that's really starting to grate on me.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, prof said:

Derek Fisher wearing number 4 instead of 2.

Risultati immagini per derek fisher 4 lakers

2462-269Fr.jpg

I gave this a "like" based solely on the freakin' sweet 1996-97 (or is it 1997-98?) Upper Deck Collector's Choice card. I bought a box of the 1995-96 set at Wal-Mart waaaaaaaaay back in the day. Love those '90s card designs! lol

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

What's with the 67 on the ball? Was that the year the SuperSonics were founded?

Si.

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, chrispw12 said:

Ron Jaworski in Eagles Kelly green

jaws.png.13fb54e7e768c133d00723c809e2ba2e.png

Didn't Jaworski lead the Eagles to the Super Bowl in 1981 wearing kelly green?

• Like 1

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

14 hours ago, Mitch B said:

Didn't Jaworski lead the Eagles to the Super Bowl in 1981 wearing kelly green?

The semantics are wrong because he did wear kelly green for his whole Eagles career. But this is the uniform for which he is associated. Right team, wrong uniform. 

29f317a6c6e34ae225e7c5064595f81d.jpg

• Like 5

711e3a57b946890a32020b96f025336a.jpg
Ron Hextall with the Flyers; they introduced the black alternate in 1997-98, his 2nd last season. Pictures seem hard to come by, so I'm guessing he didn't start too many games in it.

(On a semi-related note, I have an odd gripe: NHL teams sell a series of "old time hockey" shirts now, with an old player's name & number on the back (and fake fading, because of course); sort of a cheaper version of retro jerseys... The Flyers' old black jersey is the one they went with for that series:
ff_1571549_xl.jpg
It's weird but not too bad for Hextall, given that he actually wore it a few times but...

ff_1571548_xl.jpg
...It doesn't fit at all for someone like Bobby Clarke.)

• Like 1