If your NFL team left town, what would you do?

EvilChameleon

1 hour ago, Bruins said:

Wherever Tom Brady and Bill Belichick go, yeah, I'm gonna root for that team. I would root for the Iceland Patriots if it came down to it.

Road trips to Reykjavek are surprisingly cheap (though once you're there it's pretty expensive), and in September you get the northern lights, so I'd be all for expansion there.  I'd go every time the Eagles played there (though with my luck, it'd be the Eagles that moved!)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AJM said:

If the Cardinals ever left AZ I would probably pay less attention to the NFL honestly...probably just watch more college football and hockey.

Lucky for us cardinals fans is that we're the Arizona Cardinals now and not the Phoenix Cardinals so it would be easier on the fan base to still follow the team anyways, I certainly would still be a die hard fan no matter where the team moved.

a2BRS8U.png

6 minutes ago, H11K said:

Lucky for us cardinals fans is that we're the Arizona Cardinals now and not the Phoenix Cardinals so it would be easier on the fan base to still follow the team anyways, I certainly would still be a die hard fan no matter where the team moved.

lolwut?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

lolwut?

You know that feeling when something sounds better in your head and then doesn't sound great out loud? That just happened haha.

a2BRS8U.png

I have no idea.  I mean, if the Falcons left, the benefit is that Atlanta would get the best games possible each week instead of having to deal with the NFL rules on TV.  We'd get a minimum of 4 games on Sunday, we wouldn't be tethered to showing the Saints or Panthers when the Falcons aren't playing.  (But on the other hand, that would mean more Jim Nantz and Joe Buck.  *wet fart*)

When the Thrashers left, my caring about the NHL did diminish a bit.  I no longer kept up with player movement, and it felt odd watching games without being so invested in a singular team.  I still watch, I still go to games....but it's really different now.  I just go to see the best-quality hockey and enjoy the game and the trip.

Good thing about football is that there is college football.  I can immerse myself in that all day and be "football'ed out" come Sunday and get some things done since I wouldn't have a team I'm a fan of.

My fav team isn't hometown, though part of my Patriots' allegiance is that they were a Canadian (Maritime) favourite to which I gravitated because I got sick of the Bills & the city of Buffalo around 92-93.  I wanted no part of other nearby teams like the Browns, Lions, or out west the Seahawks.
If they moved to Hartford or Boston, they'd still be the NE Patriots for me.  I like New England.  

If they moved to Los Angeles or San Antonio or London, I'd probably quit & root for a minnow like the Jaguars.  If they went to a smaller place like Portland OR, I'd be on board though a little perplexed.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

For me, it's home town (or my current town) team or nothing.  I've always cheered for the Saints, and in the last 15 years the Hornets/Pelicans, but when I spent my freshman year in college in San Antonio in '82-83 I became a bit of a Spurs fan; when I lived in Atlanta for grad school and a while afterwards I cheered for the Hawks and Braves (but never the Falcons).

I don't believe in following "the team" if they move-- went through that situation already with the Jazz; once they were in Utah I basically switched sides from being a fan to disliking them and rooting against them (especially since they kept the name). 

So if the Saints moved, I'd probably only watch the NFL during the Super Bowl. Same thing with the Pels--maybe watch some of The FInals, if at all.

Thank god college teams can't move-- I'll always have LSU and Georgia Tech to cheer for (in all their sports).

It is what it is.

I'm a Panthers fan with zero real geographic or emotional ties to the Carolinas aside from the team, so my view is that I'm a fan of the Carolina PANTHERS, rather than the CAROLINA Panthers, if that makes sense. That is to say that regardless of if they moved I'd still be a fan, as long as they were the Panthers; but that would drop off if they were to ever rebrand.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Well let's see.  The Broncos are in Denver...  I'm in Charleston....  

If the Broncos moved away from Denver I'd have no problem sticking with them.  Perhaps it'd be my luck that they'd even move somewhere closer! Woot Woot! 

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

As a Browns fan, I can tell you that I didn't follow them. I was much less involved in following the NFL while they were gone. If I did have a team, it was the Panthers. They were new, no attachments or rivalries yet, no history, in an area without a pre-existing NFL team in the past, had cool uniforms and colors (it was the 90s, after all), and I needed something to watch otherwise I couldn't watch really NFL game without a reference point.

I can safely say if the Browns were ever to move again? I'd be done with the NFL entirely. No regular season games. No MNF or SNF, no following other teams, and certainly no Super Bowl. They'd be league non grata to me.

On 4/1/2017 at 2:15 AM, ElwoodCuse said:

I would jump for joy because I hate the Steelers with all my being. They're never leaving though

Said every Cleveland fan prior to 1995.

10 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Said every Cleveland fan prior to 1995.

I'm reading a book about Belichick called 'War Room' (2010 I think), it touches on Modell's leaving town.

I guess concerning business he felt cornered - Cleveland had paved the way for new Indians & Cavs stadium & arena alike, which took the Indians' money out of Cleveland Stadium.  Modell's baseball tenant was both removed from his stadium & the same city gave that team a greenlight for Jacob's Field, double whammy.

Baltimore ponied up & threw the kitchen sink at him.  I guess it could've been handled a lot smoother, yet between a stadium you can't afford to stay competitive & profitable with versus blank cheques from another town... lest he took a high road & sold locally in Ohio for a lot less.  

Business.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I wrestled with this earlier this year, been a San Diego Chargers fan since the late 70's, but since I don't live there or have any family connection to the area, I decided I will be a Los Angeles Chargers fan now. It's the same team, all that's changed is the address, and it doesn't affect me, so I see no reason to change.

I lived in the Seattle area when the Seahawks moved to Anaheim, and the Mariners kept threatening to move (my friend had a Tampa Bay Mariners shirt he wore everywhere at the time) and while I liked the Seattle teams and grew up with them, it never bothered me.

I'm not really sure I could be arsed into caring a whole lot. If the Bucs were to leave Tampa, am I really going to adopt a new team to root for? I feel like fandom is something that is entrenched early on when you watch a sport. Once you've watched it, any sport, for long enough, you know what you like and you know what you don't like, and that's not gonna change. I know plenty of people who like the Giants and/or Jets, but that's not gonna get me dedicated to their causes. 

Maybe I would ditch having a favorite team and just watch whatever I want with relative impartiality. More likely, especially if I didn't live in Tampa anymore, I'd just stick with the Bucs because I would still support the players. I've watched football for far too long now to be able to go cold turkey on the sport now. 

spacer.png

Archived