Scrubs in Stars' Jerseys

kimball

9 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

I wouldn't think it would ever be worn again would it? Surely the cardinals will retire #5.

I made that remark as a FYI for the board since Albert is entering his 6th season with the Angels. I don't think #5 will ever be issued again, but mistakes do happen. #51 is unofficially retired for Willie McGee, but that didn't stop someone from issuing it to a rookie pitcher named Bud Smith in 2001. The fan uproar (Cards fans can be overly prickly when it comes to numbers) resulted in Smith getting changed to #52.

IMG_2434.JPG

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

A washed up Daisuke wearing Doc Gooden's 16

image.JPG

This is more what I was thinking with the title of this thread.  Scrubs in stars jerseys after the star left the team.  Not scrubs before the star got there.  

14 minutes ago, Yac12 said:

This is more what I was thinking with the title of this thread.  Scrubs in stars jerseys after the star left the team.  Not scrubs before the star got there.  

Well, at least my Twinkletoes Selkirk Yankees No. 3 counts.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 hours ago, leopard88 said:
2 hours ago, Yac12 said:

Well, at least my Twinkletoes Selkirk Yankees No. 3 counts.

Except he's not a scrub.  

I wish the title had been "Other Players in Stars' Jerseys". 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

37 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Except he's not a scrub.  

That's a fair point.  We can at least agree that George Selkirk is no George Ruth.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

3 minutes ago, leopard88 said:
41 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Except he's not a scrub.  

That's a fair point.  We can at least agree that George Selkirk is no George Ruth.

Right.  George Selkirk sits about midway between George Ruth and George Theodore on the George spectrum.

Tony_Fernandez.jpg

Tony Fernandez, the last Yankee to don #6 before Joe Torre's legendary managerial run.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/mar-1999-pitcher-kip-gross-of-the-boston-red-sox-winds-up-to-throw-a-picture-id361574

After Carlton Fisk left the Red Sox in 1980, eight more players would don #27 for the team, and here is the last guy to wear it: Kip Gross in 1999.

UBwef0L.png

Do the Bears just not retire numbers?  What the hell?

Just kidding, by the way . . . but what is the explanation for these examples?

9 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Do the Bears just not retire numbers?  What the hell?

Just kidding, by the way . . . but what is the explanation for these examples?

I believe the Bears can't retire any more numbers at this rate.  I was very surprised they retired 89, and afterward the Bears claimed it will be the last uniform number they retire.  Singletary's number 50 has never been retired and has been worn with decent frequency.  Hell, Shea McClellin wore it.

Behold the megabust (and now Super Bowl Champion, vomits) and not-Steve-McMichael.

graham-pocic-shea-mcclellin-nfl-preseaso

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

24 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Frankly, I think retiring numbers is kinda silly in football. Rings of Honor are more practical. 

Retiring numbers is not compatible with number ranges being assigned by position.

But retiring numbers is in itself a great practice if it's not overdone, as the Yankees are guilty of.  It should be a rare tribute to a special player.

Ray Quinones in Mariners 51 before Unit and Ichiro

rq2.jpg.bce4e1406d5b050a333baef173ad471d.jpg

Craig Grebek in number 14 or White Sox before Konerko

48d40cc3-71c8-4bad-babf-7c124f23b668.thumb.jpg.c4dd8be1974f8d550e702903e40b9ed0.jpg

Mitch Webster in number 20 for Dodges after don Sutton but before it was retired

Mitch-Webster.thumb.jpg.5ba4e57e45aac8e62ecfab899d17c54c.jpg

Darrell May in Andy Petitte's 46 during his three years away in Houston

new-york-yankees-pitcher-darrell-may-reacts-after-cleveland-indians-H1XTKB.thumb.jpg.b57ddd200fc3e844ec277f3c904e7b6d.jpg

Josh Green, WSH:

58e8055565e57_notovechkin.jpg.105c57cd31623874e4a104d5c4fb6bdc.jpg

Not really a scrub, but Brendan Witt wore #19 before Backy did:

58e805d37d7ee_notbackstrom.thumb.jpg.a4d2c51a1eee003809e657071d891ef2.jpg

Before Coutinho, there was Joe Cole:

58e8066da2784_notcoutinho.thumb.jpg.6352a4f877d88ac1a36948422980a4d3.jpg

spacer.png

Archived