Stadiums that should be renovated

StaatsBrett

What stadiums/arenas do you think are in need of a renovation or one that should have one

Mine would be the carrier dome images credit is the Syracuse sb nation site 

dome_rtr2_zps87fef78f.0.jpg

dome_rtr1_zps826ccdd9.0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4gh4ZhB.png http://i.imgur.com/DmN6VqA.png

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/103365-star-based-championship-signatures-by-request/

13 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Gila River Arena should be renovated into a parking lot. 

"The coyotes will skate on the frozen blood of the non-believers."

1 hour ago, ltjets21 said:

Heavy renovations are the way to go, much cheaper and usually have the same effect as a new stadium.

But could render parts of or even The whole stadium unusable for a season or more 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Allstate arena in Rosemont,IL opened in 1980 as the Rosemont Horizon.It was the first indoor arena built with suites.It has had one upgrade since then,lighting and a new scoreboard but seems stuck in a late 1980's-90's look and feel.For an indoor arena it holds its own against the United Center booking a good number of acts and hosting an AHL hockey team and ncaa mens basketball team.To renovate it though would probably mean having to close it for a year which is not going to happen.

14 hours ago, Pauly said:

Allstate arena in Rosemont,IL opened in 1980 as the Rosemont Horizon.It was the first indoor arena built with suites.It has had one upgrade since then,lighting and a new scoreboard but seems stuck in a late 1980's-90's look and feel.For an indoor arena it holds its own against the United Center booking a good number of acts and hosting an AHL hockey team and ncaa mens basketball team.To renovate it though would probably mean having to close it for a year which is not going to happen.

I'm not sure that's correct.

There were a number of US arenas which opened with skyboxes in the mid-70's.

Capital Centre (1973)

Richfield Coliseum (1975)

Kemper Arena (1974)

The Summit*/Compaq Center (1975)

*- Lloyd, Jones, Fillpot and Crain/Anderson designed it and later used the same basic design for the original Miami and Orlando arenas in the late 80's early 90's. 

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

But could render parts of or even The whole stadium unusable for a season or more 

Unless they do the "half and half" kind of thing they do over in Europe a lot..... or back to Toronto while the renos are going on, hahahah

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

15 hours ago, Pauly said:

Not for much longer.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Northwestern is suppose to play their home games at Allstate next season, while DePaul's moving to a new arena on the McCormick Place campus.  NW's Welsh-Ryan Arena itself will be undergoing a renovation in the meantime.  Even though the WNBA Sky seem to draw a lot better at Allstate than they did at the UIC Pavillion, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually move to the new McCormick Place arena once their lease is up.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Maybe he meant the Horizon was the first to put its suites between the bowls instead of at the top. 

Kemper's suites are behind the lower bowl seating as seen from when the roof collapsed in '79.

kemper1_zpsnjwyr4pt.png

Kemper%202_zpsiglg8f8q.jpg

Kemper roof in '79 and Hyatt walkway collapse in '81...KC hired some really s#itty engineers and architects in the 70's. Thank goodness they didn't build that movable roof for the Truman Complex.

RFK Stadium in Washington DC needs renovation badly. After DC United moves into their own stadium next year some very serious decisions need to be made regarding RFK. It's looking more and more like the Redskins will in fact wait until their lease for FedEx Field expires in 2027 to move into a new stadium. The site of RFK is the only realistic stadium option within DC (the team has been giving more attention to potential sites in Northern Virginia). Even if the Redskins aren't involved, RFK needs either a total renovation or it needs to be demolished in order for a replacement to be built.

blogs_citydesk_files_2016_01_rfk_stadium

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Probably best to tear it down. 65 years or whatever it's been, on and off, isn't a bad lifespan for a concrete donut. I don't know what the redevelopment opportunities are for federal land but maybe you can lure the Redskins back (if you even want them).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Unless they do the "half and half" kind of thing they do over in Europe a lot..... or back to Toronto while the renos are going on, hahahah

Bears played in Champaign at University or Illinois for at least a season while Soldier Field became a spaceship.

Maybe Bills can play at Syracuse for a year, or split with Cuse and UB?

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Probably best to tear it down. 65 years or whatever it's been, on and off, isn't a bad lifespan for a concrete donut. I don't know what the redevelopment opportunities are for federal land but maybe you can lure the Redskins back (if you even want them).

Most of the Skins fan base wants the team back at RFK. However there's people of influence in DC that are demanding the Skins change their name if they want to have a new/renovated stadium within the city's borders. Politicians in Virginia don't seem to give a damn about the team name. The team's headquarters and training camp facility are already in VA. They're actively pushing for the Redskins next stadium to be in Northern Virginia.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

54 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Bears played in Champaign at University or Illinois for at least a season while Soldier Field became a spaceship.

Maybe Bills can play at Syracuse for a year, or split with Cuse and UB?

Syracuse is planning to place a permanent roof over the Carrier Dome along with upgrades to make it ADA compliant.  As of now, they know the minimum cost, $255M, but no architect or contractor has been named, but it will be three  sepatate projects (in order):

1- Roof

2- Interior improvements with A/C

3- Exterior facelift

'Cuse does sell beer, so they could make money. I believe that the university has the liquor license as opposed to their food service contractor.

Bills better hope the roof is done before their project started.

As for UB, I'm not sure if they want those problems. No alcohol sold/allowed as of now.

I wonder if the AAA park could handle the Bills with temporary stands.

Archived