The MLB According to FinsUp: At-Bat - San Diego

FinsUp1214

8 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

The next one may possibly be out tonight but may more likely be a couple of days due to a busy weekend ahead. I started a few teams simultaneously and am closest to finishing Arizona, so they'll likely be next, but I'm going out on a limb with them on something and it'll probably depend on whether or not I like how it looks after I put it together ;) 

Really looking forward to the Diamondbacks!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arizona Diamondbacks

Since Arizona can't decide for the life of themselves what identity they want to have, it's my series and I've made the executive decision for them! :P 

Heavily inspired by the team's first sets of uniforms, the Diamondbacks hit the field with a deep purple, turquoise, copper, and (yes, officially) cream.

I went with "Arizona" across the chest on each uniform because 1) I never liked the look of just the "A" on the front, 2) "Diamondbacks" is just too big to fit, even when leveled, and 3) "D'backs" looks too much like "D'bags", and I can't take it seriously. So I feel like "Arizona" is the best option, and will let other elements show that this the Diamondbacks we're talking about, not the Wildcats, Coyotes, or Cardinals ;) 

The uniform itself borders on traditional, but ventures into modern a bit with tapered piping on the sleeves and pants. The socks feature a diamond-stripe pattern inspired directly by the primary logo, some that I feel adds great pop and personality to the set. I kept only one cap because frankly, when looking at the set in its entirety, I felt an alt cap truly wasn't needed (and as you'll come to find in this series, I'm not one to include anything just for the sake of it. Everything here has a purpose). I intended each set to have a cohesive balance of colors, and any other type of cap I tried to go with everything - even purple with turquoise brim - threw everything off too much in my eyes. So yeah, just deep purple solid caps across the board! 

IMG_5986.thumb.PNG.56fbe12917b0f363ff0f0e68b073c6a9.PNG

IMG_5985.thumb.PNG.286e5654a5c43953ec327785f3cb47e2.PNG

IMG_5987.thumb.PNG.8afd237028196853b0058fa05b62040d.PNG

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Don't you think the cream looks a bit too dark for a home uniform? It looks more like the Padres' old sand-colored unis to me, and those were aways... other than that, though, everything looks great!

53Ocz8U.png

Huh, funny thing is that on my desktop, the cream is a whole lot lighter. It wasn't until I saw it on the mobile screen that I saw it looking this way! It does look pretty dark. I may have to see what I can do about the colors! Thanks!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

6 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Arizona Diamondbacks

Since Arizona can't decide for the life of themselves what identity they want to have, it's my series and I've made the executive decision for them! :P 

Heavily inspired by the team's first sets of uniforms, the Diamondbacks hit the field with a deep purple, turquoise, copper, and (yes, officially) cream.

I went with "Arizona" across the chest on each uniform because 1) I never liked the look of just the "A" on the front, 2) "Diamondbacks" is just too big to fit, even when leveled, and 3) "D'backs" looks too much like "D'bags", and I can't take it seriously. So I feel like "Arizona" is the best option, and will let other elements show that this the Diamondbacks we're talking about, not the Wildcats, Coyotes, or Cardinals ;) 

The uniform itself borders on traditional, but ventures into modern a bit with tapered piping on the sleeves and pants. The socks feature a diamond-stripe pattern inspired directly by the primary logo, some that I feel adds great pop and personality to the set. I kept only one cap because frankly, when looking at the set in its entirety, I felt an alt cap truly wasn't needed (and as you'll come to find in this series, I'm not one to include anything just for the sake of it. Everything here has a purpose). I intended each set to have a cohesive balance of colors, and any other type of cap I tried to go with everything - even purple with turquoise brim - threw everything off too much in my eyes. So yeah, just deep purple solid caps across the board! 

IMG_5986.thumb.PNG.56fbe12917b0f363ff0f0e68b073c6a9.PNG

IMG_5985.thumb.PNG.286e5654a5c43953ec327785f3cb47e2.PNG

IMG_5987.thumb.PNG.8afd237028196853b0058fa05b62040d.PNG

@mlb :mad:, The cream does look a tad dark, but doesn't take away from the pure beauty of these uniforms.

a2BRS8U.png

I sense a trend with some of these designs...I can tell you're definitely a child of the '90s. ;)

I really like this look for Arizona. I say keep the dark cream color. It's distinctive and suits a team that plays in the desert. I always thought the D-Backs original unis were dated looking but by ditching the black and pinstripes, you've made it work. Great job!

I'd say that's my favorite Diamondbacks concept I've seen on the boards, and I've seen a lot of them!

The darker purple and turquoise are an excellent combination (especially without black and with only one gold shade), and the striping pattern is a nice blend of modern and minimalist. The socks stripes are drop-dead gorgeous. I can totally see the logic behind using the "Arizona" script on all of the uniforms, but I think it might be a good idea to use the cap/primary logo on the crest of either the home uniform or the alternate (as it has historical precedence, and can stand in for the team name). My only real complaint would be the one-color numbers, but I suppose that works best for the front. It might also be a good idea to show the backs of the uniforms and the number/NOB fonts, for completionism's sake.

Fantastic work!

The diamondbacks are really sharp. I always appreciate a bold single color number, but I think these call for a contrasting outline to be more in line with the word mark. Other than that minor nit pick, it's a really nice look

I'd hoped to have an Arizona update and something new to post tonight, but as I feared, that school grind got in the way and so it may be later on in the week before I have some new stuff. But I wanted to be sure anyways to let y'all know that 1) the series is still very much alive, and 2) I have read and appreciate each of your comments very much! I'll be doing some tweaks to Arizona acccordingly, and also agree that something to show the back would be good to include going forwards. I'll be working on a good way to work that in!

Also as far as what's coming down the pipe, Detroit is on-deck!

Thanks for your help and viewing everyone!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Detroit Tigers

The Tigers have, in my book, one of the two best uniforms in the major leagues along with Toronto. So how could I change anything?

Normally, I wouldn't. But if the Tigers were to approach me and "we need you to make some tweaks, but you must change SOMETHING and can't refuse", here's what I'd do.

Firstly, I'd aim for consistency with the "D" and choose one of the two to feature across the board, and discard the other. The use of both has never bothered me normally because I chalk it up to "classic design quirk", but hey, I'm supposed to change SOMETHING. :P My formula for choosing which "D" was simple: if it looks good on both the cap and jersey, use it. I found the current cap version looks great on a cap, but not so great on the jersey, whereas the current jersey version looks great on both and a similar version already has historical precedence on the cap , so the choice was easy. Jersey version "D" is now the primary "D" and adorns the caps.

The home uniform from jersey to pants goes completely unchanged. The road gets some simplification, with white script outline and front numbers removed. The moves also hearken back a little closer to the set that inspires it.

I'd always thought the Tigers would look great in an occasional alternate that was simply a home white inverse of their road uniforms, so voila! A Sunday alternate has been born!

IMG_6062.thumb.PNG.ec7caf72b8682425836ed8c51eb5626e.PNG

IMG_6063.thumb.PNG.2b6b3f5739a9c66f6387399e40624bee.PNG

IMG_6064.thumb.PNG.73f4c62f8f5f2269acabc08637379a13.PNG

Also, I have a small Arizona update. Before I translated it to the player models I just wanted to run it by you guys. Is the cream shade better? And how are the number outlines? To be honest I think they're throwing off the color balance a little, but just wanted to see what you guys thought.

IMG_6061.thumb.PNG.278cdaa80d2aa38f3da4de815437a9b7.PNG

Thanks as always!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

That alternate is gorgeous for the Tigers & shows how well their Road jerseys translate to a matching Home option. Stunned no 4th jersey for the Tigers, I just assume you couldn't get anything to work with a Navy jersey? 

I agree with @coco1997 on the Cream & Numbers for the Diamondbacks. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

I like what you've done with the Tigers. It was an excellent decision to go with the jersey "D" on the cap (the cap "D" on the jersey always looks terrible), and the simplified road uniform looks fantastic. The alternate is probably the best possible alternate for the Tigers, both incorporating the team name and orange onto a "home" set. My only issue is that the presentation should include back numbers/NOB's (in the same format as your jersey/socks display). I also think that old creme/new numbers is the best course for the Diamondbacks.

I look forward to more.

Thanks so much everyone!

As for a fourth navy alternate for Detroit, I just didn't like the idea of it. They're in Yankee territory in my eyes as far as being in the "no colored alts" zone. The only alternate I'd ever want them to have is a white road inverse.

How's this for including a back view? Does it work laid out like this? I wasn't sure whether to do it on an action template or here.

IMG_6067.thumb.PNG.ef44d813e641c829b6a84fb1227df3c0.PNG

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived