Roller Hockey International

ImmortalChef

2 hours ago, benpc21 said:

I used to love going to Portland Rage games. Started a life long love affair with roller hockey and hockey jerseys. Those jerseys were so perfect for the times.

I still have an authentic Rage road jersey from their second year, and a game puck.

And for what it's worth, I've got this San Jose Rhinos snapback for sale ;)

image.jpeg

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

That Planets logo is absolutely baffling. 

Is this the league the Tampa Tritons were in? Tracked down one of those jerseys a while ago, not a terrible logo as far as the league goes but all green and purple, very Mighty Ducks. 

I remember attending a game in Dallas on a whim in 1999. Though it was a regular season game, both teams wore plain mesh jerseys -- like practice jerseys with a logo pinned or stitched on. My memory isn't so great, but I remember it looking like a league on its last wheels, so to speak. 

The Anaheim Bullfrogs were my favorite team despite never watching a single one of their games. I thought they had the best name. 

Did anybody watch Pro Beach Hockey on ESPN2?

PBH-2000-HB-Overview.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

I had season tickets for the St. Louis Vipers in 1995, then the Minnesota Blue Ox in RHI's thrown-together final season of 1999.  In a box somewhere I have a Vipers home jersey signed by most of the 1995 team.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The Anaheim Bullfrogs were my favorite team despite never watching a single one of their games. I thought they had the best name. 

I actually saw a Bullfrogs game when they played the L.A. team (Blades) at the Forum...I was probably 14 or 15 at the time, and it was my first hockey game of any kind I ever saw in person.  I don't really remember much from the game itself, but it was fun being there.

The Bullfrogs, if I remember correctly, at least for a couple of years had a radio contract with one of the failed sports stations that came through L.A. in the mid-to-late 90s.  I do remember they a lot of promoting RHI in the region than the Blades ever did.

19 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Did anybody watch Pro Beach Hockey on ESPN2?

PBH-2000-HB-Overview.jpg

I'm actually good friends with one of the "commentators" from those broadcasts, Fasty LaShaft (aka Mike Butters).  Buttsy was a minor league who ended up in SoCal and dabbled in acting.  He's probably best known as Paul (the fat guy who dies in the razor wire trap) from the Saw horror series.

I was involved with the Oklahoma Coyotes both of their seasons (1995-96) - I handled their website (hosted from my student account at OKC U, LOL).  I also put on the mascot suit (Howl E. Coyote, Wile E.'s meth and heroin using cousin) a few times for appearances when Reggie (our regular mascot guy) wasn't available.  Putting an RHI team in OKC made total sense.  The CHL Blazers were pulling 12,000 a night and here you are offering another league full of that caliber of players.  The problem was the Murrah bombing was six weeks after it was announced the Atlanta Fire Ants were moving to OKC.  The metro was in a state of shock/depression for the better part of 16 months, so the crowds never materialized.  The first season the team wasn't that great, but they were decent the second season under first time coach Guy Gadowsky, who has since made his bones as an NCAA coach.

The Coyotes played a few games in Tulsa the second season, including their last game ever.  The team auctioned off the jerseys during that game.  Since Blazers jerseys were going for obscene amounts in charity auctions (1,200-1,500 was typical), I didn't bother bidding on anything.  Turns out most of the jerseys ended up going for $125-$150, and to this day I regret not getting one (the team never sold replicas).

I moved about a year ago.  When I did I found a couple boxes of Coyotes papers, mostly the stats sheets and game day media packets. I kept a couple of programs from each season plus the league printed media packets, and shipped the rest off to the Coyotes' old media relations director, Chris Due, who's now the SID at Lubbock Christian U.

2 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Did the Toronto Planets ever play a game? I can't find a picture anywhere on the world wide web. 

Toronto played in the 1993 "first" season of RHI. I believe the massive expansion, espn2 game contract, etc was for the 1994 season. Many people don't recall that the 1994 season that got all the public exposure was actually the league's 2nd season. First season pics are tough to find.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

15 hours ago, MadmanLA said:

I actually saw a Bullfrogs game when they played the L.A. team (Blades) at the Forum...I was probably 14 or 15 at the time, and it was my first hockey game of any kind I ever saw in person.  I don't really remember much from the game itself, but it was fun being there.

The Bullfrogs, if I remember correctly, at least for a couple of years had a radio contract with one of the failed sports stations that came through L.A. in the mid-to-late 90s.  I do remember they a lot of promoting RHI in the region than the Blades ever did.

The bullfrogs, from what I can recall, were definitely the league's "model" franchise. They were pretty dominant the first few seasons of the league. Wouldn't surprise me that they would have a radio contract during that time.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Archived