Roller Hockey International

ImmortalChef

20 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I remember attending a game in Dallas on a whim in 1999. Though it was a regular season game, both teams wore plain mesh jerseys -- like practice jerseys with a logo pinned or stitched on. My memory isn't so great, but I remember it looking like a league on its last wheels, so to speak. 

1999 was RHI's last season, so the derelict state of the teams might've been a reflection of that. RHI suspended operations as a league for the entire 1998 season (with several of the top teams joining Major League Roller Hockey, a replacement league, for that season...never to return to RHI). There were only 8 teams remaining when the league came back in 1999...2 of which were expansion teams.  

To my knowledge, most of the teams used the "practice mesh" jersey style, with long pants reminiscent of "Cooperalls".

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I was a kid/teen when RHI existed,  but I remember loving the idea, and was sad when I learned it was dying/dead. Sharks games were too pricy for us growing up, and Rhino games were dirt cheap. They'd also give lots of tickets away to the local schools so we could go for free. Never really noticed the difference in the level of play when I was young. I thought it was a cool way for the warm weather markets, like where I was from, to grow the game and get kids and adults interested in hockey. 

Archived