Sign in to follow this  
Yippy

Wrestlers not in their signature looks

DDR    987

Man, how did the New Rockers NOT work? Al Snow is not nearly as handsome as Shawn Michaels, not nearly as charismatic as Shawn Michaels and not nearly as good of a worker as Shawn Michaels. He's everything you would not look for if you were trying to recreate the magic!

CS85    5,387
22 minutes ago, DDR said:

Man, how did the New Rockers NOT work? Al Snow is not nearly as handsome as Shawn Michaels, not nearly as charismatic as Shawn Michaels and not nearly as good of a worker as Shawn Michaels. He's everything you would not look for if you were trying to recreate the magic!

That was during the heyday of Bad WWF New Generation Play It Safe By Being Silly creative.  Included the likes of Isaac Yankem DDS, Avatar, and the New Rockers, but let us take a trip down memory lane into Andy's childhood wrestling prime:

• Henry O. Godwin & Phineaus I. Godwin (HOG & PIG), known for tossing buckets of slop onto their opponents
  • Man Mountain Rock, known for playing guitar and didn't do anything else ever
  • Mantaur, known for a comedic pairing with Jim Cornette and wearing a buffalo head to the ring
  • The Bodydonnas, known for promoting aerobics and being cuckolded as the entire locker room blew their sinewy wads deep into Sunny's womb repeatedly
  • Savio Vega, another one of these weird "Let's get international and everybody's gonna be smiling and having fun" wrestlers, known for being from the Carribean or something
  • Hakushi, actually cool entrance music, unique look, and solid wrestler, known for having stuff written all over him

Now for more wrestlers who Vince sharted upon before they came into their own:

Who could forget Viscera's fat ass?  But he used to be Mabel of Men On a Mission; WWF's weak attempt at promoting feel good black people things among a fanbase that was traditionally southern:

tumblr_num34iEMC11rg89a6o1_500.jpg

Shane Douglas' cringe-worthy WWF debut as Dean Douglas, whose gimmick was that he was smarter than you:

maxresdefault.jpg

Hardcore Holly was a legitimate badass, but his early WWF years were quite lame, as "Spark Plug" Holly was a feel good NASCAR dude:

hqdefault.jpg

Before The Godfather was smoking blunts and pimping hos, he was The Ultimate Fighter!  Kama had a really lame-ass run that most gladly forget.

Kama_-_Charles_Wright_01.jpg

Justin Credible too couldn't escape the clutches of COLORFUL WWE CULTURALLY VAGUE 90S WOO, as Aldo Montoya burst onto the scene to little fanfare.

ALDOMONTOYA_sALDO_00000000_0001-23799906

"Badass" Billy Gunn of the New Age Outlaws started out in a fairly decorated cowboy tag team, The Smokin' Gunns.

33_WWE-Encyclopedia2809.jpg

DDR    987

MAN MOUNTAIN ROCK!

Forgot about him. I actually really liked Maxx Payne in WCW when I was a little guy. He teamed with Cactus Jack if memory serves. But did he ever actually wrestle in WWF? I don't recall him having a match ever.

KDubK414    107

@CS85 I see your Kama, later Mustafa of the Nation and pimpining his hoes, with his OG character.....

IMG_3945.JPG

BringBackTheVet    4,185
11 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The ultimate:

faarooq_display_image.jpg

Oh yeah, that wins. I forgot about Farooq Asad. 

Shame on Vince for putting him in that getup, and shame on him for allowing it to happen. I guess he needed the money, but there had to be another way. 

DG_Now    3,936

At least it led to DON Faarooq, which was pretty awesome in the mid-late 90s, gave Ron Simmons some main event matches, and directly led to The Rock.

BringBackTheVet    4,185
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

At least it led to DON Faarooq, which was pretty awesome in the mid-late 90s, gave Ron Simmons some main event matches, and directly led to The Rock.

What goes through your mind if you're Ron Simmons and they tell you you're changing your name and wearing that? I'm guessing he got to butt bang pre-dirty-hoe sunny a few times so there's that, but I'm still not sure if that's worth the degradation. 

Hes an an awesome performer so he was able to overcome and succeed, but man putting on that helmet had to hurt. 

DG_Now    3,936

I meant NOD, not DON. I really loved that gimmick. I thought the whole Nation of Farrakhan deal with tons of dudes surrounding the ring giving the black power salute looked so cool. A little dumb with Crush and PG-13 but still cool.

Shumway    745
2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I meant NOD, not DON. I really loved that gimmick. I thought the whole Nation of Farrakhan deal with tons of dudes surrounding the ring giving the black power salute looked so cool. A little dumb with Crush and PG-13 but still cool.

Plus, D'Lo.

I wasn't this kid, but I totally had my fist up when I saw N.O.D. at a house show back in the day. They were awesome.

Nation+Kid.gif

Since we're talking about Faarooq, here's one of his APA counterpart, Maggle!

tumblr_mth9jfUaWk1rg89a6o1_1280.jpg

Cujo    2,464

Signature looks not in their wrestlers

Image result for fake razor ramon

Little known fact: Fake Diesel was actually portrayed by Roman Reigns.

LEM-06.jpg

Red Wolf    831
On 4/2/2017 at 8:44 PM, LMU said:

IMG_0092.JPG

Oh man. Unmasked Rey Mysterio. Just one of the many signs of the end times in WCW. Dark days.

MadmanLA    83

69f1798b0a820f6759ac5ccf3c79cfbd.jpg

(Jean) Paul Levesque living out his 1980s NWA-Ric Flair fantasy...

dfwabel    1,049

Pre-AWA, Terry was not Hogan, but had chest  hair and  known as "Sterling Golden" in Georgia.

imageview.php_zps1y3cyokl.jpg

DG_Now    3,936
26 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Pre-AWA, Terry was not Hogan, but had chest  hair and  known as "Sterling Golden" in Georgia.

imageview.php_zps1y3cyokl.jpg

Your image is of Terry Boulder though. Check him out with Ed Boulder (Brother Bruti).

For good measure, he's Hogan stammering through a promo as Sterling and Solie kindly telling him to GTFO:

DG_Now    3,936

For good measure, Terry Boulder in a singlet: