Crazy Coincidences

Bruins

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Back in the day, Jim Gott pitched to Tim Teufel. Knowing a little German helps with this one. 

I remember reading about that when it happened.

For the record, neither of them played for the Angels or Devil Rays.  I checked.

. . . and neither Roy Smalley ever played for the Giants.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I dunno if this counts but I'll probably never have another thread to put this one in... the 2003 Marlins had Mike Redmond and Mark Redman. It drove me crazy and was a total disaster from an audio perspective since Redmond and Redman are pronounced virtually the same. From there it was so easy to confuse the two similar first names as well. 

Also the Marlins had a pitcher and their GM both be named Dan Jennings at the same time. Too bad the pitcher was gone before the GM actually became the field manager or that would have been fun. 

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I dunno if this counts but I'll probably never have another thread to put this one in... the 2003 Marlins had Mike Redmond and Mark Redman. It drove me crazy and was a total disaster from an audio perspective since Redmond and Redman are pronounced virtually the same. From there it was so easy to confuse the two similar first names as well. 

Also the Marlins had a pitcher and their GM both be named Dan Jennings at the same time. Too bad the pitcher was gone before the GM actually became the field manager or that would have been fun. 

You think that's confusing . . . 

http://oriolescards.blogspot.com/2008/07/mike-smith-1991-crowncoca-cola-all-time.html

This Day in Orioles History: July 3, 1989

Orioles 11, Tigers 4 at Memorial Stadium

The surprising young Orioles maintained a solid grip on first place in the American League East and salvaged a split of a four-game series with the Tigers. The Birds jumped all over Detroit starter (and former Oriole) Doyle Alexander, knocking him out of the box in the third inning with five early runs. They kept up the pressure throughout, scoring eleven runs on fifteen hits. The big blow was a three-run home run by Mickey Tettleton, but outfielder Phil Bradley also shone with three hits (including a double and a triple) and three runs batted in.

Of course, the O's had their own pitching problems early in the game. Brian Holton left in the fourth inning having allowed three runs and was relieved by rookie "Texas" Mike Smith. He got the moniker because there had been two righthanded pitchers named Michael Anthony Smith in Baltimore's spring camp. Coaches and teammates differentiated between the two based on their home states; the other Mike Smith was known as "Mississippi Mike". Texas Mike had made a disastrous big league debut three days prior to this game, getting racked for eight runs in just an inning and one-third against those same Tigers. Charged with protecting a 5-3 lead in his second appearance, Smith was like a different pitcher. He stranded two inherited runners on his way to four innings of two-hit relief. Texas Mike lowered his ERA from 54.00 to 13.50, but more importantly he earned his first major league victory (Holton did not last the five innings necessary to receive credit for the win).

At the end of the day, the Orioles stood on top of the AL East by a six and a half game margin. They would not relinquish control of the division until September, a remarkable turnaround for a team that had lost 107 games (including the first 21 games of the season) in 1988.

If memory serves me, their spring training jerseys had small maps of Texas and Mississippi, respectively, on them.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Not so much a coincidence but I like how the Rangers second baseman Rougned Odor has a brother in the Rangers system named... Rougned Odor.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

55 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Brian Holton left in the fourth inning having allowed three runs and was relieved by rookie "Texas" Mike Smith. He got the moniker because there had been two righthanded pitchers named Michael Anthony Smith in Baltimore's spring camp.

The 1962 Mets had two pitchers named Bob Miller.  They wound up known as "Lefty Bob" and "Righty Bob", and collectively as "the Bobbsey Twins".

Image result for bob miller mets

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

For two seasons, Arsenal had both defender Johan Djourou and striker Olivier Giroud (the latter of whom is still there).  There is theoretically a difference in the first sylables of their last names; but, in practice, that syllable's vowel is reduced to a schwa by English speakers.  And Djourou's name is meant to start with what we would call the soft G sound, as in "gem"; while Giroud's name starts with the sound of S in "measure".  However, that D in Djourou's name gets lost in ordinary speech, which leaves the S sound in "measure".  So you get "zhə-ru" for both.

By the way, staying with Arsenal, let us not get so inured to Arsene Wenger's long (and probably soon to be ending) tenure there that we fail to note the strangeness of this coincidence.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Probably more what this thread was supposed to be about but I've always enjoyed the coincidences of when a team gets new uniforms or a new ballpark and suddenly makes the playoffs that season after not making it at least for a few seasons before. Looking back it always feels on purpose but knowing the time it actually takes to revamp uniforms and especially to build a new stadium there's no way it can truly be on purpose. 

I like the fact that punter Jeff Feagles played for the Eagles.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 4/2/2017 at 10:10 AM, raysox said:

IMG_7609.JPG.f854fc35eef15b22399e353a76bad113.JPG

This is the equivalent of a guy named Cal Garyflame suiting up for the Calgary Flames.  Shut it down.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Irony?  Brandon Short playing for the Giants.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Same here. I want to say it was in SI. No idea why, but it stuck with me. In a completely unnecessary side note - I remember watching Tim Teufel play for the Mud Hens. If memory serves, he was the IL MVP once. In fact, those Mud Hens teams had quite a few players that went on to win the 1987 World Series with the Twins. 

BB52Big.jpg

16 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Same here. I want to say it was in SI. No idea why, but it stuck with me. In a completely unnecessary side note - I remember watching Tim Teufel play for the Mud Hens. If memory serves, he was the IL MVP once. In fact, those Mud Hens teams had quite a few players that went on to win the 1987 World Series with the Twins. 

SI sounds right to me too.

Completely unnecessary side note welcome.

11 hours ago, infrared41 said:
16 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Same here. I want to say it was in SI

It was mentioned by Tim McCarver on a Met telecast. This comment of his was widely reported, and for a while became one of the better-known stories about McCarver's cleverness.

McCarver, with his forced puns, usually introduced with a self-satisfied "You might say...", used to annoy the beans out of me as someone who was a Yankee fan but who did not become a Met hater until 1985, when the widely disparate press coverage of the two equally good and equally interesting New York teams became apparent. But, while I resented McCarver at the time, there's no denying that he is indeed very clever, and that he is a great announcer.  (And I will admit that his puns are pretty good, too.)

A tangent about the 1985 Yankees: I just bought Billy Sample's book on that team called A Year in Pinstripes...And Then Some.  Sample is a very interesting guy and a real thinker, and is the only Major Leaguer with whom I have ever had extended written exchanges.  I am looking forward to reading this book.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It was mentioned by Tim McCarver on a Met telecast. This comment of his was widely reported, and for a while became one of the better-known stories about McCarver's cleverness.

McCarver, with his forced puns, usually introduced with a self-satisfied "You might say...", used to annoy the beans out of me as someone who was a Yankee fan but who did not become a Met hater until 1985, when the widely disparate press coverage of the two equally good and equally interesting New York teams became apparent. But, while I resented McCarver at the time, there's no denying that he is indeed very clever, and that he is a great announcer.  (And I will admit that his puns are pretty good, too.)

A tangent about the 1985 Yankees: I just bought Billy Sample's book on that team called A Year in Pinstripes...And Then Some.  Sample is a very interesting guy and a real thinker, and is the only Major Leaguer with whom I have ever had extended written exchanges.  I am looking forward to reading this book.

I liked McCarver early in his career, but he eventually wore out his welcome with me.  Some of his puns were cringeworthy.  More importantly, some of his non-pun quotes were cringeworthy.

http://www.azquotes.com/author/20591-Tim_McCarver

1397729-Tim-McCarver-Quote-Something-to-

1397737-Tim-McCarver-Quote-Yankee-pitche

811393.png

Wish I could find pictures of the two players together, but back around 2003-2005 or so, the Browns had both Andre Davis and Andra Davis on their roster, and a few years later, the 49ers had two players named Michael Lewis on theirs. In both cases, though, one of them was a WR (though the receiver Michael Lewis was better known for special teams) while the other played on the defensive side of the ball; Andra Davis was a LB and Michael Lewis was a safety.

spacer.png

Archived