Pistons Logo Change

Fuhrms

Meh, I fail to see how a text in front of a basketball qualifies as a good logo. Whether it's the current Pistons logo or the Bad Boy's era, both logos are weak in my opinion.

NSFCvyu.png

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-04-05 at 6:20 PM, Chromatic said:

I'd understand if you were talking about a different Detroit team, but I don't have a problem with a 'forced horsepower' theme considering the team is called the Pistons.

Anything is better than yet another "script in front of basketball" logo considering a third of the league uses such a lame motif.

3 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

Meh, I fail to see how a text in front of a basketball qualifies as a good logo. Whether it's the current Pistons logo or the Bad Boy's era, both logos are weak in my opinion.

I might agree if there were better options. Instead the alternative is a chromed up, over-designed logo sporting all the worst aspects of 90s logo design. I'm not against a horsepower theme in and of itself, I'm just not a fan of the one they've given us.

So text on a basketball it is.

15 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I might agree if there were better options. Instead the alternative is a chromed up, over-designed logo sporting all the worst aspects of 90s logo design. I'm not against a horsepower theme in and of itself, I'm just not a fan of the one they've given us.

100.....no...1000% agreed.

I'm not an expert in branding, but although creativity is a big part of branding, it's not the only thing. Today's society seems to be very big on nostalgia and although the "new" pistons logo isn't the most creative per say, it excellently excutes the meeting of the past and the present.

It takes a logo synonymous with success/championships (the past) and adds a modern flare with the font (the present/future) which brings memories and plays on the feelings of old fans  and introduces new fans to the past while bringing old fans to the present. It's simply the best of both worlds.

The horse, while more creative, isn't the strongest brand and it's history isn't as synonymous with success as the bad boys logo. The current was half-hearted attempt to replicate the past and a new logo further muddles the brand. What they chose to use is the BEST option.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

1 hour ago, jus2damcrazey219 said:

100.....no...1000% agreed.

I'm not an expert in branding, but although creativity is a big part of branding, it's not the only thing. Today's society seems to be very big on nostalgia and although the "new" pistons logo isn't the most creative per say, it excellently excutes the meeting of the past and the present.

It takes a logo synonymous with success/championships (the past) and adds a modern flare with the font (the present/future) which brings memories and plays on the feelings of old fans  and introduces new fans to the past while bringing old fans to the present. It's simply the best of both worlds.

The horse, while more creative, isn't the strongest brand and it's history isn't as synonymous with success as the bad boys logo. The current was half-hearted attempt to replicate the past and a new logo further muddles the brand. What they chose to use is the BEST option.

I understand the nostalgia for the 80's/early 90's logo, as it was the most successful time in franchise history. I also understand that when you develop that kind of success under a logo, it moves from being ordinary into a strong brand. But even with those factors, I look objectively at that logo (and the half-assed attempt to recreate it in 2004) and see a poor logo. The text does describe what city the team is located in and the nickname, but I don't see anything special or unique about the logo itself. It doesn't showcase or highlight the city of Detroit in any way, nor does it have anything to do with actual pistons - instead we have a basketball in team colors, which would be alright if 50% of the league didn't use the same scheme. The update for 2017-18 will at least have the modern font, so I'll give them that; but overall, I just don't think it's a good logo. It is good for branding though, and since one of the purposes of a logo is to present a recognizable brand, then they have succeeded.

I think we can all agree that the 90's logo and its recolored cousin were poorly executed to say the least, but I give the Pistons kudos for trying to be creative with their brand.

NSFCvyu.png

On 4/4/2017 at 7:13 PM, shark said:

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if the horsehead logo more popular with those that aren't Pistons fans than those that are.  I don't personally know of a single Pistons fan from Michigan that wants this or anything remotely related to the color mistake from the 90s to return.

That might be true. I'm not a Pistons fan, but I saw a hat with that secondary horse-ball logo in Grant Hill-era colors, and I don't think I've wanted a hat that badly in a while.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

54 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

I understand the nostalgia for the 80's/early 90's logo, as it was the most successful time in franchise history. I also understand that when you develop that kind of success under a logo, it moves from being ordinary into a strong brand. But even with those factors, I look objectively at that logo (and the half-assed attempt to recreate it in 2004) and see a poor logo. The text does describe what city the team is located in and the nickname, but I don't see anything special or unique about the logo itself. It doesn't showcase or highlight the city of Detroit in any way, nor does it have anything to do with actual pistons - instead we have a basketball in team colors, which would be alright if 50% of the league didn't use the same scheme. The update for 2017-18 will at least have the modern font, so I'll give them that; but overall, I just don't think it's a good logo. It is good for branding though, and since one of the purposes of a logo is to present a recognizable brand, then they have succeeded.

I think we can all agree that the 90's logo and its recolored cousin were poorly executed to say the least, but I give the Pistons kudos for trying to be creative with their brand.

This gets by a lot of people, but the new (old) logo is also a piston in a cylinder viewed from above.

20 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The alternatives were limitless if anyone with the Pistons had an ounce of creativity. For instance, this blows any logo they've ever actually used out of the water:

48Nl5fl.jpg

Would it really have been that difficult for the Pistons to commission something along those lines? Sure, the '90s "horsepower" logo may have been overdesigned, but their new logo is underdesigned.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

9 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

The alternatives were limitless if anyone with the Pistons had an ounce of creativity. For instance, this blows any logo they've ever actually used out of the water:

48Nl5fl.jpg

Would it really have been that difficult for the Pistons to commission something along those lines? Sure, the '90s "horsepower" logo may have been overdesigned, but their new logo is underdesigned.

What part of that logo would go at center court?  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

26 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

48Nl5fl.jpg

That logo is terrible. Way too much going on, I have to look hard to realize what it is. 

Thought since others are posting some concepts here, I would give it a go with something I put together recently for my own enjoyment.

6l3uj2g.png

Some things could probably use to be cleaned up (the pistons for example), but this is only a rough draft. Not sure which I like better of the two. For the first logo option, I tried to bring back the spirit of the 90's flaming horse, while managing to simplify it. Because Detroit has strong ties to the Ford motor industry, I thought it would be cool to base the horse off of the Ford Mustang logo. I tried to combine past and present to create a streamlined, emblem like logo. I used the 70's text logo as the inspiration for the other one.

I used a darker, more bold red and navy, but I'm willing to use the other colors they have currently.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

1 hour ago, ZionEagle said:

Thought since others are posting some concepts here, I would give it a go with something I put together recently for my own enjoyment.

6l3uj2g.png

Some things could probably use to be cleaned up (the pistons for example), but this is only a rough draft. Not sure which I like better of the two. For the first logo option, I tried to bring back the spirit of the 90's flaming horse, while managing to simplify it. Because Detroit has strong ties to the Ford motor industry, I thought it would be cool to base the horse off of the Ford Mustang logo. I tried to combine past and present to create a streamlined, emblem like logo. I used the 70's text logo as the inspiration for the other one.

I used a darker, more bold red and navy, but I'm willing to use the other colors they have currently.

Ford's not the only major car company in Detroit though.  Plus the horse in red and blue would surely get complaints from SMU.  

40 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Ford's not the only major car company in Detroit though.  Plus the horse in red and blue would surely get complaints from SMU.  

I'm aware of that. But I also have relatives that come from the Detroit area, and I myself have been there multiple times. What is the first company for cars that comes to mind when you think of Detroit? I would say ford has the most heritage there. I mean honestly, of course there will be other car companies in major cities, but that doesn't make them the most prominent. I was just trying to think of a good way to incorporate the horse and the mustang came to mind. But, perhaps you're right. I've been wrong before ;)

SMU may as well sue Ford, the Calgary Stampeders, and any highschool that has a similar running horse logo while they're at it, since those logos are all pretty damn similar. I already stated that my horse was heavily influenced by the Ford logo, but there are only so many ways to render a running horse silhouette.

And even if the NBA used a logo similar to this (which, they probably never will) do you really think SMU would sue over that? I'm sure they're capable, but I'm just curious to know the legal perspective.

Anyways, I'm not even sure I'm happy with the mark, it was just an idea I wanted to get out there. I was also thinking of cleaning up the flaming horse, since people seem to like it so much. If you don't think this horse is good, would you mind telling me what you think I could do better? I would love to hear your thoughts :)

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

6 hours ago, projectjohn said:

This gets by a lot of people, but the new (old) logo is also a piston in a cylinder viewed from above.

I feel like that's lost with the 17-18 logo though. The piston heads are now ovals.

I'm aware of that. But I also have relatives that come from the Detroit area, and I myself have been there multiple times. What is the first company for cars that comes to mind when you think of Detroit? I would say ford has the most heritage there. I mean honestly, of course there will be other car companies in major cities, but that doesn't make them the most prominent. I was just trying to think of a good way to incorporate the horse and the mustang came to mind. But, perhaps you're right. I've been wrong before ;)

I think of a lot of car companies when I think of Detroit.  Ford is one of them.  Chevy is another.  Renaissance Center is right there in the heart of Detroit.  There will be other car companies in major cities?  I'm not sure what that means.  Detroit is the birthplace of most of them...

SMU may as well sue Ford, the Calgary Stampeders, and any highschool that has a similar running horse logo while they're at it, since those logos are all pretty damn similar. I already stated that my horse was heavily influenced by the Ford logo, but there are only so many ways to render a running horse silhouette.

And even if the NBA used a logo similar to this (which, they probably never will) do you really think SMU would sue over that? I'm sure they're capable, but I'm just curious to know the legal perspective.

If the Pistons used that mustang logo in a red and blue scheme (which is key, as it creates identity confusion), I can guarantee you SMU would be sending C&D letters pretty quick. Maybe Ford as well, since Ford's mustang "runs left". College teams/pro teams usually don't go after high school teams when it comes to logo infringement.  Some do, the vast majority don't.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread for the trademark news from Conrad and the (presumable) forthcoming official announcement. Feels like it deserves a separate discussion from the main NBA changes thread.

On topic, I think I might be in the minority here; but I really like everything that the Pistons are presumably doing. The fauxback logo is a big upgrade from the current primary, and I really like their current jerseys that have been used since 2001 with only a few tweaks over the years (doesn't sound like any major changes are occurring jersey-wise.) Again, seems that this isn't a popular opinion but I've always liked both the font and the wishbone jersey collar style.

The font does look better horizontally than on an arc, so I'm glad that they fixed that in the new logo, especially since the arcs didn't match in the old logo. Other than that, the secondary logo shown earlier in this thread could be more imaginative (I wouldn't have minded a return to the teal era DP exhaust pipes or horse ball logo) but it is still an improvement from the current D inside a P logo.

Overall, as a Pistons fan, I'm quite happy with this update. Bring back the red alternate jersey, mothball the Motor City one, and I think overall it's a solid identity.

12 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

That 'D'-in-a-circle will NOT be the new alternate logo. I can confirm that 100%.

I think everyone will like the new alternate logo. Can't say anything about the details of it unfortunately, until it leaks somewhere.

Hmm... I'm willing to bet it's a horse-themed alternate.

(Blink twice if I'm right ?)

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Archived