Pistons Logo Change

Fuhrms

2 minutes ago, Fuhrms said:

Lies.

IMG_0292.PNG

They must have gone through hundreds and hundreds of designs within a day or so.  Then they chose one last June and used it in multiple platforms up until the official unveiling. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The above article also (all but) confirms a new alternate jersey:

The Pistons unveiled a new logo on Tuesday as part of their return to downtown Detroit, and a new alternate jersey could be coming next.

The team’s executive vice president, Charlie Metzger, indicated this was a distinct possibility after a high-energy unveiling ceremony in Campus Martius Park.

“There’s a lot more that we have in store,” Metzger said with a knowing grin. “The NBA has made a move to Nike, our new apparel partner (beginning next season), so I think you’re going to see a series of all sorts of exciting new things that we’re going to be playing with this year. This is the first of many that you’re going to be seeing over the next few months.”

Previous leaks said the red alternate would be back next year, so I'm 99.9% that is what's in store.

It also goes on to say no horse/teal throwbacks, at least not for the time being:

If they add a third, however, Metzger made one thing clear: It is unlikely to feature the horse that served as the centerpiece of the Pistons logo from 1996 to 2001.

“The horses, at some point, they have their role, but I don’t see horses coming in the future right now,” he said.

Full article available here: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/05/16/pistons-vp-hints-at-new-alternate-jersey-but-no-horses/

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 4:55 PM, Quillz said:

I've stared at it for a minute or two now, and I'm not seeing it. What I can sort of see are those small, cylindrical fans that you sometimes see on roofs.

I must have stared at both the logo (old and new) and actual pistons for about a half hour. I can say that it's a very liberal take on an overhead piston/cylinder.

NSFCvyu.png

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The S has always looked fine to me. It's a bit wonky, but it has character and doesn't clash with the rest of the font. The letter that's bothering me now is actually the E in DETROIT. If you look closely, you can see that the crossbar is slightly thicker than the top and bottom bars. It just looks sloppy.

"it's not bad art, it's style!" :P

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On April 7, 2017 at 9:38 AM, projectjohn said:

This gets by a lot of people, but the new (old) logo is also a piston in a cylinder viewed from above.

That's a good point.  Similar to the Warriors logo, people complain that a bridge has nothing to do with warriors, but what they don't realize is that it's actually a shape shifting warrior that has transformed into a bridge.

On 4/4/2017 at 11:05 AM, kimball said:

This should have never stopped being their alternate logo, even after they changed primaries back in 2006. 

445.gif.358559385dd730d83b97cd4ad4af8dbe.gif

I'm a month and a half late on this, but I just want to say they really threw the baby out with the bathwater here. The teal, red, yellow, black, silver, whatever hot rod uniforms were bad and took a dump on the team's successful years that weren't that far in the rear view mirror (sticking with the automobile theme here) at the time and absolutely needed to go, but the logo set was the first time the team made an effort to recognize their city and namesake and actually embrace the automotive theme and I think they did a great job. I think the logo actually looks better in the red and blue than it did in its original colors. 

I don't see why this couldn't be an alternate logo at the very least. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I'm a month and a half late on this, but I just want to say they really threw the baby out with the bathwater here. The teal, red, yellow, black, silver, whatever hot rod uniforms were bad and took a dump on the team's successful years that weren't that far in the rear view mirror (sticking with the automobile theme here) at the time and absolutely needed to go, but the logo set was the first time the team made an effort to recognize their city and namesake and actually embrace the automotive theme and I think they did a great job. I think the logo actually looks better in the red and blue than it did in its original colors. 

I think they could make that logo work without the basketball (and modifying the horse's body a little).  It's not a bad alternate.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 hours ago, rxmc89 said:

That's a good point.  Similar to the Warriors logo, people complain that a bridge has nothing to do with warriors, but what they don't realize is that it's actually a shape shifting warrior that has transformed into a bridge.

? It's not hit you over the head obvious, but there's no need to be snarky if you don't like it.

De'Aaron-Fox-lottery-hats.jpg?itok=2-7ry

Just posting cause...

1)I thought the hats look cool

2) if the Kings came out with Silver unis they could be sweet

3) looking at the Twolves and the Mavs..especially with the history of the green for both franchises. The WOLVES hat looks like an inverted Mavs hat but with the animal rotated. Just my $.02 

(Posted this in the wrong thread..my bad)

shado_logo.gif

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:
On 4/4/2017 at 11:05 AM, kimball said:

This should have never stopped being their alternate logo, even after they changed primaries back in 2006. 

445.gif.358559385dd730d83b97cd4ad4af8dbe.gif

They could use it as the basis of an alternate, but they'd have to do some pretty substantial work on it.  That logo's a mess.

I get why they completely ditched the horse theme. It was associated with the darkest days of the franchise. The end of the bad boys and the horrible 90's teal. BUT, it was still front and center for the 2004 title and the couple of winning years before and after. I feel like ditching it completely is a bad idea. It gives some form of identity, other than just your generic insert team name onto basketball logo. The one shown above looked great on the shorts and is light years better than that stupid DP logo.  

sig.png

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I get why they completely ditched the horse theme. It was associated with the darkest days of the franchise. 

Guessing you weren't around for the late '70s (Vitale, McAdoo, the Lanier trade, etc.). Doesn't get much darker than that.

Also, I'm digging the updated logo, and don't see any reason to bring back the horse.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2017 at 3:28 PM, Sleeper66 said:

Guessing you weren't around for the late '70s (Vitale, McAdoo, the Lanier trade, etc.). Doesn't get much darker than that.

Also, I'm digging the updated logo, and don't see any reason to bring back the horse.

Both points are valid, but honestly the teal era was a damn golden age compared to 2009-2014.

Archived