NHL 2017 by Heitert - TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING - 7.7.17

AHcreative

Good evening CCSLC! 

Now, I do believe that this is attempt number three at redesigning the NHL. However, I am determined to actually finish this time. Unlike other failed attempts, wherein I would design one concept, post, wait for C&C and then move on, this time I've actually completed almost half of the NHL in preparation.

I've been working on this project for the past month or so, I've really been having a lot of fun with it and I'm moving at a pretty steady pace so I feel as though I can actually make it through the league. What I really wish for this thread is a lot of active discussion, comments, and critique so that I may hone my skills at designing. I'd like to keep this organized, so I'll get started with some guidelines of what I'll be posting. 

Also, as a note: I haven't found an Adidas template compatible with the program I use (PAINT.net) so I chose to simply use the Reebok Edge template found in the Paint Users Paradise thread. I have, however, added an Adidas tag to the inside that I drew up. 

Outline

• All teams I complete will have some alteration to their logo and/or color scheme that I will point out with each concept. Note: These changes could be as small as a color adjustment to a complete logo overhaul. 
  • I will only be posting two uniforms per team: Home (color), Away (white)
  • No team will use more than two logos. This is pretty standard in the NHL. However, we do see teams with all kinds of logos with their set. If I include a logo in the set, it will appear on the uniform. I see no need to include more since this is simply a logo/uniform project and not a complete identity project. 
  • NHL shield logos will be recolored in respective team colors. 
  • Teams will be posted in no real order, simply which concept I would like comments on at that time. 

Please, no comments just requesting the next team. Some critique on the concept would be appreciated. 

Okay, first up:

ARIZONA COYOTES - 4.3.17

Logos: I really loved the Coyotes inaugural set. The kachina pattern was very unique to the team and even though it made it's debut in the 90s, it wasn't a concept that was overbearing or gaudy. However, and, as unpopular an opinion it may be, I really like Arizona's current logo and uniform set. I have made some changes to the logo, though. Replacing black is a darker brick red and I have turquoise to the color scheme, drawing inspiration from the art of the Pueblo which is wherein the initial kachina pattern derived. The alternate 'A' paw logo underwent no changes other than, of course, the color scheme. 

Uniforms: Again, the kachina pattern was my favorite part of the Coyotes inaugural set. The logo to me was fine, but I actually like the current better. I tried my hand at a custom kachina pattern that is only adorned on the hem as I thought that adding it the the sleeves as well made it a bit busy. If you look closely, you'll notice that within the pattern are crossed hockey sticks in the darker brick red color. The shoulders stripes are very loosely based on the current uniforms. 

Thanks for checking these out! 

C&C is greatly appreciated! 

Logo Set.png

Jersey Set.png

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now this should be fun! The Coyotes look excellent, and i absolutely love the striping as a whole, in fact this is one of if not my favorite striping I've ever seen for the Yotes. You didn't go overboard with the Kachina pattern but yet its still a centerpiece. However, Im really torn on the teal accents. On one hand i feel like they're the perfect finishing touch, and on the other i feel like they're out of place. But they might just need some getting used to, and all that being said you used them in just the right amount. I really have no serious complaints with these, solid 9.5-9.75. Great Job!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Definitely one of the best Coyotes concepts I've seen. I've actually thought of doing something like that for the Diamondbacks. Teal doesn't seem to contrast to well the with the dark red, maybe try a purple instead? 

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

The hem stripes really remind me of the collar on Florida State's football uniforms, and not in a good way....I think if you simplify it a bit, it would look great. Same goes for the numbers, the extra stroking that you added just makes the whole thing too busy. I would love to see the numbers as a simple white with no stroke on the home, and a fully black or fully brick colored on the road - similar to what the Dallas Stars use.

With those small changes, this will be one of the best Coyotes concepts I've seen on these boards. Good start to your series, I'm really looking forward to what's in store.

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

I appreciate what you're going for here, but I think that a couple choices are misguided. To echo what others are saying, the hem stripe is much too busy as is, especially in comparison to the much simpler sleeve stripes. It really reminds me of a christmas sweater more than a native american pattern. The addition of teal is also really neat idea, but I think that you could find a better way to balance it in the uniform with the other colors. It may even work better with black than the double maroon. Either way, I think this is a few simple tweaks away from being really nice. 

spacer.png

Thanks for all the comments everyone! 

I think you all are right about the hem stripe being a bit cluttered. I'll fix that soon. 

In the meantime, I have a Predators concept that I'd like some feedback one. 

Ill post it it as soon as I get home from work. 

Alright, I got hung up playing Horizon: Zero Dawn when I got home from work. Sidenote: Fantastic game, I highly recommend it. 

Anyway, the Nashville Predators are up next.

NASHVILLE PREDATORS - 4.8.2017

Logos: Nothing really has changed here. I actually really like the Preds logos. The only alteration is the outline to the alternate guitar pick logo. So, not really a change like promised in the outline, but I did say some were very minor. Case-in-point, the Nashville Predators. 

Uniforms: Nashville got really close to doing everything right in their rebrand, and, for the most part, I really like what they've put together. Yellow is a fantastically underused color in sports and even moreso as a primary color. So nothing has changed on that front. What I did eliminate was the horrific Bettman apron that has mostly been abolished after half the NHL added them after the Reebok takeover a few years back. A few elements that I really like that Nashville uses are 1) The sharp collar/shoulder stripes and 2) The guitar strings. These elements, however, are used in the wrong ways. Those sharp collar stripes are reminiscent of teeth and since the Predators' logo is like, 50% teeth, I think that they should be better represented on the uniforms. The guitar string striping doesn't really work on the numbers, I've chosen to move that pattern to the hem stripe where I think it fits a bit better. The old number font makes a return, which is, in my opinion, much better than the font that the Predators currently use. 

Thanks again for viewing! 

Logo Set.png

Jersey Set.png

ARIZONA COYOTES UPDATE - 4.15.2017

Well I went back to the drawing board on the Coyotes hem stripes. I tried to simplify the pattern while still maintaining that Kachina style. I did attempt to recolor the uniforms to eliminate the turquoise as suggested, but honestly, I really like that addition. 

Jersey Set 2.png

NASHVILLE PREDATORS UPDATE - 4.15,2017

I removed the guitar stripe pattern from the hem and made the bottom stripe thicker to match the top. Also, I moved the shoulder numbers and logo up just a bit and recolored the pants to navy. Funny thing is, I never intended to color the pants yellow. It was just an oversight on my part. 

Jersey Set 2.png

I'll post the next team either later tonight or tomorrow. 

The new hem-stripe pattern on the Coyotes is nothing short of spectacular.  I'm glad you kept the turquoise.  I think if you replaced the darker shade of maroon with black, you would have perfection.

Nashville update is perfect, exactly what they should be wearing.

Coyotes update looks great. Didn't notice the hockey sticks but they are a great addition to the jersey. I also like how the turquoise outline adds a glow to the logo. Definitely a unique take, and a great one.

Nashville is also spectacular. Everything comes together nicely, although I think guitar strings in the numbers could work. Amazing work all around here.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! 

Next up: 

CAROLINA HURRICANES - 4.16.2017

Logos: I really like the general idea of Carolina's logo brand, but I think the logo tends to be a little flat and washed out. I tweaked this logo a while ago and it was actually featured in one of my former NHL Series' that never got finished. It's obviously the same basic idea, I just wanted to make it a little more dynamic. The colors have been adjusted slightly; the red is deeper and the silver, bolder. I attempted to add some Carolina Blue into the color scheme, attempting to shoehorn it in with the red and replacing the red, but it just didn't look right. Overall, the Hurricanes have a nice color scheme, red and black always works. 

Uniforms: Carolina has one of the most bland, boring, and digressive identities in the NHL. They had some pretty unique inaugural uniforms but for some reason, decided to play O6 dressup and have no sense of uniformity between the home and away sets. My attempt at fixing this was basically to bring back an adaptation of their original pattern. The italic number font and name work well with the logos so I've decided to bring them back. The 'CH' logo was an attempt at a shoulder patch, both letters adopted from the 'Canes current wordmark. 

Logo Set.png

Jersey Set.png

Archived