NHL 2017 by Heitert - TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING - 7.7.17

AHcreative

I'd eliminate the white from the Yotes set and replace it with sand. With the red, teal, and sand you have enough going on, the white adds nothing but clutter. And I prefer the original striping pattern!

Loving the Nashville update, and the Carolina jerseys look great! The logo isn't exactly great, but that's the team's fault more than yours. Love the hem striping.  

qtOnrJr.png

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coyotes: I agree with @Morgo, replace the darker maroon with black and call it a day.

Predators: My only gripe is that I hate ditching the guitar strings, on the numbers. Embracing the Music City identity is one of the strongest points of their current set. Aside from that, loving the updated version. Gold only works on a home uniform if it has navy to pull the feel darker, something you executed well.

Hurricanes: Not crazy about the CH mark. I think the flag logo would be a step up. Arizona and Carolina are the two teams that should not be using traditional striping, and I love that your sets reflect that.

Looking forward to more!

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Haven't updated this in a bit. Any more comments on the 'Canes, or, any other team for that matter? 

Next up, we have: 

SAN JOSE SHARKS - 4.27.2017

Logos: I was very disappointed when I saw that San Jose released a new alternate logo but did nothing to their primary mark. Now, I'm not sure if they intend to phase out the primary in favor of one of the new alternates, unfortunately orange is still being utilized in the color scheme. Teal and orange works great together obviously, (see: Miami Dolphins) but the Sharks use really dark, murky shades of those colors. Besides, teal and silver work just fine on their own, along with black and white, there's really no need for an additional color. The primary logo features the partial shark logo without the 'S' on the bottom. I for one, think it looks incredibly forced and is a fine logo without it. The colors are slightly altered: elimination of orange and black, a lighter teal, and a slightly green silver (think Dallas Cowboys). The alternate is simply a recolor of San Jose's "shark fin" logo. 

Uniforms: I drew inspiration from the Sharks' inaugural uniforms, which, are arguably some of the best first-season uniforms in sports history. The hem stripes frame the logo better than a traditional flat striping pattern and the number font from the Sharks' late-90s/early-2000s set makes a comeback along with the angular sleeve stripes from their alternate of that era. 

Logo Set.png

Jersey Set.png

Hands down my favorite Sharks concept I've ever seen. The change of black to dark teal really makes the logo seem less cartoony, however I'd keep the tail of the shark in the logo as the shape and angle of the current logo seems off and the tail would balance it out. Great job!

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

5 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

Hands down my favorite Sharks concept I've ever seen. The change of black to dark teal really makes the logo seem less cartoony, however I'd keep the tail of the shark in the logo as the shape and angle of the current logo seems off and the tail would balance it out. Great job!

I agree. The double teal looks amazing, but the logo would be better with a tail. The jerseys themselves are really nice too.

This series has been really nice.

This is probably my favorite Sharks concept since Go Red Sox did his one. The double teal, the return of the fin patch/custom number font, and the angled hem/sleeve stripes are all fantastic upgrades on the Sharks' current identity. I second what other posters have said here about using the full-bodied shark, and I'd recommend putting the dark teal on the socks (to match the hem/cuff striping).

I like what you've done in this series, and I can't wait to see more.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the comments everyone. You all are right about the Sharks, the logo is a little oddly cut off. I will update it soon with the full-body shark logo or some variation of it. In the meantime, here is the next concept. 

LOS ANGELES KINGS - 5.16.2017

Logos: Okay, this is probably the most original logo for a team that I have done thus far and I'm really looking for some constructive criticism. It originally started as an update to the inaugural crown logo, but morphed into something of its own.  Purple (or Forum Blue) and gold, in my opinion, is the best color scheme for the Kings and personally one of my favorite color schemes in all of sports. I do like actual gold, "Vegas Gold," more than "Athletic Gold" when done properly. Take the Pittsburgh Penguins and the NFL's St. Louis Rams for example, both had really nice shades of gold initially, but over time they devolved into a washed-out khaki color - mostly because of uniform manufacturers not being able to produce accurate metallic applications. Nevertheless, the Kings deserve a team decked out in bright purple and shiny gold. The logo features two shades of each color to give some dimension. I am very set on the dual purple in the logo, but the two shades of gold could be compromised into one, which is actually what occurs on the uniforms.

Uniforms: As I have just mentioned, the uniforms feature only one shade of gold which is the darker more metallic version of the two. I used a bold but classical striping pattern, perfect for a team with a long and unique history that is still a fighting force on the ice today. Since the Kings have never had a lasting identity, I figured doing something a little classic and a little flashy fit in well for a team given their convoluted logo and uniform history and their storied on-ice success. The number font is slightly different from what the team currently uses. I've always found the current font to be a bit blocky but still sorta liked the general feel of it. 

Logo Set.png

Jersey Set.png

This is a pretty creative take on their original scheme.  The logo is effective in its simplicity, the striping tips the hat to the Gretzky set and I like the new number font.  If I had one recommendation though, it would be to either eliminate one of the shades of purple or darken the main one.  They are too similar as it stands. 

I really like the double purple; I don't like the double gold. I think that, along with all the small, intricate details on the base of the crown, makes the logo look really busy. I think if you simplified that a bit, you'd have a really good set. The uniform design is really solid.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I need to be more consistent with these postings, I realize that. 

Next up...

BUFFALO SABRES - 6.8.2017

Logos: The primary logo is a marriage of the crossed swords logo from the 90s and a refined buffalo design. The buffalo is actually a slight adaptation of a concept logo I did about 7 years ago (that can actually be found here) which, in turn was a concept based on the Bills' prototype logo from around 2002 I believe. I've altered the colors slightly; royal blue returns after a long absence. Also, the yellow is more vibrant a la the inaugural Sabres logo. The 'B' alternate logo also makes a return. Only the sword is changed to match the primary. 

Uniforms: Truth be told, I never liked the triple-yellow stripe from the inaugural home uniforms or any adaptation since. The Y/B/Y stripe on the roads was nice, but I wanted to move in a bolder, more modern direction which also explains the trapezoidal shoulder yokes in favor of the classic rounded ones. The number and name font are probably the most vintage part of the set with the classic block font and outlined surname. Admittedly I considered making the home jersey yellow (Unpopular Opinion Alert: I really liked the alternate "cape sweaters" from a few years ago), but due to history and Nashville currently rocking yellow, I decided against it.  

59390443096db_LogoSet.png.8990d60950e3c645aa1777fb596f26ce.png59390455ef5f1_JerseySet.thumb.png.48592d5b7f820919ffe32dee07795062.png

Also, I'd still love to hear some comments on my L.A. concept, namely the logo. 

Thanks for viewing! 

Just bumping this with a few updates per suggestions. They are rather small, but I took all the C&C and tweaked thusly. 

SAN JOSE SHARKS UPDATE - 6.10.17

Updated the shark logo and fixed the road sock stripes for more uniformity. 

593ca740052ad_LogoSet-Update.png.0abd05819142f1ae44daabd37684526c.png

593ca74a8b85e_JerseySet-Update.thumb.png.f5576c2d5e510fea95109505e5c2b6f4.png

LOS ANGELES KINGS UPDATE - 6.10.17

Flattened the logo and differentiated the two purples more. Also, modified the gold a touch. I tried an alternate logo with the Kings' current primary swapping out the crown for my concept crown logo but when I put it on the uniforms it just served to muddle a pretty classic looking set. 

593ca7568bf24_LogoSet-Update.png.81c6eb2f1d84ef560ad42e976aaa6559.png

593ca75e40aa8_JerseySet-Update.thumb.png.941ed03ce69c6c4b843e98d7c0611fe6.png

BUFFALO SABRES UPDATE - 6.10.17

Changed the number font to a classic block font. 

593ca77d36944_LogoSet.png.d07e89bbe499682f4c392ce81a28c1db.png

593ca78652714_JerseySet-Update.thumb.png.0d514e145e4f806de86fe9485a426ec6.png

One suggestion on the Kings - on both uniforms, flip the shades of purple. The darker shade being the primary color ends up drawing attention to the lighter ends of the sleeves, as well as the pants, and not the actual uniform. 

ExJworW.png

I actually just finished this next concept, one of the rare times that I'll post a newly finished one. Usually I like to sit on the concept for a couple of days and see how it feels when I look at it with fresh eyes but I really like what I've come up with here. 

BOSTON BRUINS - 6.14.2017

Logos: The biggest change for the team lies in the colors and the primary logo. I decided to go all the way back to the 1920s and readopt brown for the Bruins, which in turn is a big reason the alternate logo (the one that says BOSTON Bruins as opposed to the other way around) lives on in this concept. I've altered the primary logo slightly. Essentially it's a marriage the Bruin's initial "spoked B" and today's iteration. I really love the serifs on the current logo, but the extra outlines on the spokes make it look really heavy. Personally, I the 1995-2007 logo best, and I attempted to add thinner brown outlines to the spokes but it made the logo look too crammed together, which again, are my issues with the current mark. 

Uniforms: The uniforms, for the most part, are unchanged, sans the colors of course. Boston has some of, if not the, best uniforms in the league and changing them for the sake of change didn't feel right. I figured the changed to the logo and color scheme were enough to justify the concept. Practically the only changes to the uniform are found on the away jersey. I colored in the hem to match the caps on the sleeves and did away with the outlined name. Also, the road numbers do not have the double outline as the home numbers do. 

5941e754aea51_LogoSet.png.6670f08e43706aae966ddb25c0ef21b4.png5941e75c9f991_JerseySet.thumb.png.7d3fca77b7ab08b182aeecb55c0bacc1.png

On 6/11/2017 at 10:47 AM, Magic Dynasty said:

One suggestion on the Kings - on both uniforms, flip the shades of purple. The darker shade being the primary color ends up drawing attention to the lighter ends of the sleeves, as well as the pants, and not the actual uniform. 

Agreed.. I was going to say the same thing..

Swap the purples on the uniforms (except maybe leave the collars dark purple on both)

I like when people try to create logos. Takes courage.

That Sabres set, wow. only thing, I'd make the Buffalo in the roundel Blue instead of white, It would make more impact on the logo in its entirety. In real like, that would make a instant winner.

San Jose, great, Kings nice (but one shade of gold better IMHO)

That Bruins set is exactly what they should have done if they wanted to go yokes. (IMHO, the best Bruins set was early  80's, buts its me)

You should be hired right now by adidas lol.

Archived