RyanMcD29

Tank in the news

653 posts in this topic

You hadn't heard of Barstool Sports? 

never, though I dont read much sports outside of a local blog and this site.

I just find that surprising. Barstool Sports ain't exactly high-quality journalism, but I'd assumed it permeated the online sports world enough that most of us CCSLCers would at least be familiar with it. I guess not. 

I might be in the minority here in that I don't follow sports that much (though I'm watching SC right now, so I dunno).  When I want to know something, I go here, read a local blog, ESPN.com, or the local news site.  That's really it.  

I willfully ignore Barstool Sports. They're the lowest rung of "sports journalism" (if you can call it that) that's rampant with misogyny, idiocy, primal "hot takes," and general creepy bro-ism in its lowest form. I generally forget Barstool Sports even exists until they're brought up due to some dumb controversy they've stepped into.

My decision to willfully ignore them has been more-than-justified by reading them posting this hastily-researched, poorly-written, completely unedited crap by Tnak.

53 minutes ago, Kaz said:

It's basically a bunch of bros alternating between posting D-level hot takes and pictures of hot college girls.  Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

There ain't a whole lot right about it either. B)

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I dunno... the typos made me feel like I was right at home reading a Tnak post on the CCSLC.

That was... interesting. 

23 hours ago, BayouJim said:

I think this is Tank's first article

Correct.

Somehow this thread (and the news story itself) slipped under the radar for me and I just noticed it now. After reading through it and thinking about it, I had to come back and take a double take because I wasn't sure if it was real or not. I thought I may have just fell asleep in front of my laptop with CCSLC open and dreamed it or something. All I can say is wow. That and good for him...I guess.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, DDR said:

I only had because I have a cousin, 17 years my junior, who will occasionally send me things from it.  But old guys like me are not the target demo.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, DDR said:

Honestly before this whole episode with Tank, I never even heard of the site. I do qualify this by saying I don't spend a whole lot of time reading sports material in general. The only time I even turn on ESPN or visit ESPN.comis to see box scores.  Some times, I stop by SBnation to read what Jon Bois writes up, since I like his youtube channel and the stuff he puts up. So why would I even need to search out a 10th rate site for sports opinions when I can get that here when I open up a sports or uniform thread?

Didn't some professional athlete recently retire to join Barstool Sports or something?  A kicker or something?  That nonsensical career decision is the only reason I've heard of it.  

13 minutes ago, See Red said:

Didn't some professional athlete recently retire to join Barstool Sports or something?  A kicker or something?  That nonsensical career decision is the only reason I've heard of it.  

Colts punter Pat McAfee did.

Honestly, I'm surprised that the membership had no idea of Barstool and their notoriety since within the last decade, they are/were known for hosting "blackout"/raves and foam parties.

http://www.poconorecord.com/article/20140304/NEWS/403040325

10 hours ago, DDR said:

I just find that surprising. Barstool Sports ain't exactly high-quality journalism, but I'd assumed it permeated the online sports world enough that most of us CCSLCers would at least be familiar with it. I guess not. 

I was aware of Barstool's existence, but that's about it. 

On 4/5/2017 at 7:29 PM, Cosmic said:

How long until he shows up in the clickbait ads at the bottom of the boards?

Remember Frank Fleming?  You won't believe what he looks like now!

(Picture is actually of Matt Damon)

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 2.35.04 PM.png

I wonder if he made the list...

3 people like this

32 minutes ago, BigBubba said:

I wonder if he made the list...

tumblr_ofkyavnEdz1u1ljrzo1_540.gif

Couldn't resist. :lol:

9 people like this

Barstool Sports tries to get my demographic to go to it, and yet I never used it. I stuck to Youtube, Bleacher Report & SB Nation for my news. 

Also, this is a meme:

IMG_20170421_233835.jpg

2 people like this

Right as you begin reading, Tnakisms just POP right off the page. The run on sentences, the grammar errors, everything. Just read the first paragraph with me. 

It is a well-known fact that New Jersey Transit is the absolute worst, they are total incompetent as it seems like they experience weekly shutdowns at Penn Station, snarling the entire rail system into a never ending series of delays. The dark rail tunnels and cramped nature of Penn Station creates a dungeon like experience, as lack of seating create a sea of humanity with most experiencing stress and discomfort. The whole operation is giant fiasco, leaving some to wonder how can anything function like this?

How it should be with a few grammatical fixes & proof no-one at Barstool is checking his work: 

It is a well-known fact that New Jersey Transit is the absolute worst. They are totally incompetent as it seems like they experience weekly shutdowns at Penn Station, snarling the entire rail system into a never ending series of delays. The dark rail tunnels and cramped nature of Penn Station creates a dungeon like experience, as a lack of seating creates a sea of humanity with most experiencing stress and discomfort. The whole operation is giant fiasco, leaving some to wonder how anything can function like this?

TBH, Public Transit itself no matter where you are has problems. It's how you deal with them that makes it work for you. 

1 person likes this

Count me among those who've never heard of Barstool Sports before the Tnakening.