RyanMcD29

Tank in the news

647 posts in this topic

You know what could help with Tnak's posture? Sitting on an actual barstool.

This whole thing could have a happy ending if Barstool starts a "save the Tank" project where they help him lose weight and get into a healthier condition.

Call it the "Tank Challenge" (not to be confused with the "Stumper"), or something similar and show goofy videos of him training.  I'd watch a weekly weigh-in every now and then.  Anything so that something positive comes out of their exploitation.

5 people like this

18 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This whole thing could have a happy ending if Barstool starts a "save the Tank" project where they help him lose weight and get into a healthier condition.

Call it the "Tank Challenge" (not to be confused with the "Stumper"), or something similar and show goofy videos of him training.  I'd watch a weekly weigh-in every now and then.  Anything so that something positive comes out of their exploitation.

I mean it worked for EDP quite a bit

14 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Really? I Didn't know he was losing weight 

I'm not going to lie here... after my mom passed three months ago from diabetes that she refused to control I'm a bit bitter towards people who refuse to take care of themselves.  Seeing someone not only not care about their wellbeing but spiral this far past the point of morbidity really touches one hell of a nerve.

2 hours ago, DEAD! said:

You know what could help with Tnak's posture? Sitting on an actual barstool.

He's got the shape of a beanbag chair......

3 people like this

12 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Who?

18 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Who?

The YouTube guy who goes on the inane Eagles rants that BBTV introduced to us

1 person likes this

There's my new avatar!

20 hours ago, LMU said:

I'm not going to lie here... after my mom passed three months ago from diabetes that she refused to control I'm a bit bitter towards people who refuse to take care of themselves.  Seeing someone not only not care about their wellbeing but spiral this far past the point of morbidity really touches one hell of a nerve.

I just attended (as a groomsman) a good friend's wedding. Among myriad issues, my friend suffers from diabetes (along with depression, anxiety, high blood pressure, and self-diagnosed Asperger's). He has always been overweight and out-of-shape (but not nearly to a Flemingesque extreme). Due to his anxiety and depression, he is loathe do hold no job except occasional substitute teacher. He rarely leaves his home, with two exceptions: karaoke, and food. He takes many, many pictures of whatever buffet, monstrous hamburger, or gluttonous cuisine he can find.

A few of us have called him out on his very poor eating habits, as well as his continuous excuses for lack of exercise. For someone who is an unhealthy diabetic, one should probably not post pictures of artery-clogging adventures (this may be the "Asperger's" and the lack of ability to understand perception).

Unfortunately, he is also surrounded by a cadre of yes-men, who fill his timeline with positive comments about his lifestyle. He always posts how he's in a funk, or depressed (also has serious grief issues), yet doesn't seem to take the right medicine or therapy to help him get through it, and possibly jump start a healthier outlook, especially in the hopes of a long-lasting life with his lovely new bride. I do consider myself a good friend. I'm very happy for him, that he found the love of his life. And as his friend, it hurts to see him in pain like this, especially when he seems very unwilling to do anything about it.

Did I mention the wedding was wrestling-themed? He dressed as Macho Man. Gold tassels, cowboy hat, sunglasses, everything. Got Howard Finkle to announce them, too (when he wasn't butchering everyone's names).

He's almost 45.

23 hours ago, LMU said:

I have an aunt who is quite overweight, and has been for as long as I can remember. She's dismissed suggestions by loved ones to start getting serious about her weight and blood pressure. She's 57. Oh, and she's also the primary caregiver of my grandparents. Recently I've been thinking more and more about what I've always known in the back of my mind -- that, barring a serious lifestyle change, she will die a premature death. It's a lot like having heavy smokers in the family (I have two) -- it's a hard, ugly truth that you've always figured but never want to address. Eventually, those "somedays" in a distant future become tomorrows. And the worst part of it all is that there is literally nothing you can do about it.

38 minutes ago, BigBubba said:

I have an aunt who is quite overweight, and has been for as long as I can remember. She's dismissed suggestions by loved ones to start getting serious about her weight and blood pressure. She's 57. Oh, and she's also the primary caregiver of my grandparents. Recently I've been thinking more and more about what I've always known in the back of my mind -- that, barring a serious lifestyle change, she will die a premature death. It's a lot like having heavy smokers in the family (I have two) -- it's a hard, ugly truth that you've always figured but never want to address. Eventually, those "somedays" in a distant future become tomorrows. And the worst part of it all is that there is literally nothing you can do about it.

Yeah, my mom died at 60.  She had her leg amputated right after Thanksgiving but even with that ultimate "come to Jesus" moment nothing clicked.  After lying to my dad about insurance kicking her out of the rehab facility she was in we went over to the house one night and saw that she'd ordered herself 6 slices of Cheesecake Factory cheesecake and 5 lbs of chocolate through DoorDash.  That was pretty much the moment we knew that it was a completely lost cause with her and wouldn't you know that she was gone in two weeks.

I know in my mom's case there was some "I'll show you!" self sabotage afoot.  When I was in middle school she started going to the gym and after my grandmother made a comment that she was spending all her time there she ended up almost intentionally ballooning up to north of 350.  Between that and the excuse she had for everything it's almost for the best that things happened the way that they did.

I don't know if Tank is trying to sabotage himself to spite someone but with what I've dealt with I just can't take people who pull that.  Hell, my mom's whole thing prompted me to lose about 100 lbs so I didn't become her.  And, honestly not to humble brag but it really wasn't hard.  Just cutting out carbs and walking the dogs every day.  So, if this doesn't prompt him to at least try to help himself with all of the pictures of him on Twitter resembling Monty Python and the Meaning of Life's "Mr. Creosote" then he quite frankly deserves whatever ridicule he gets.

10 hours ago, LMU said:

Yeah, my mom died at 60.  She had her leg amputated right after Thanksgiving but even with that ultimate "come to Jesus" moment nothing clicked.  After lying to my dad about insurance kicking her out of the rehab facility she was in we went over to the house one night and saw that she'd ordered herself 6 slices of Cheesecake Factory cheesecake and 5 lbs of chocolate through DoorDash.  That was pretty much the moment we knew that it was a completely lost cause with her and wouldn't you know that she was gone in two weeks.

I know in my mom's case there was some "I'll show you!" self sabotage afoot.  When I was in middle school she started going to the gym and after my grandmother made a comment that she was spending all her time there she ended up almost intentionally ballooning up to north of 350.  Between that and the excuse she had for everything it's almost for the best that things happened the way that they did.

I don't know if Tank is trying to sabotage himself to spite someone but with what I've dealt with I just can't take people who pull that.  Hell, my mom's whole thing prompted me to lose about 100 lbs so I didn't become her.  And, honestly not to humble brag but it really wasn't hard.  Just cutting out carbs and walking the dogs every day.  So, if this doesn't prompt him to at least try to help himself with all of the pictures of him on Twitter resembling Monty Python and the Meaning of Life's "Mr. Creosote" then he quite frankly deserves whatever ridicule he gets.

I completely agree. There are a few cases where someone's weight or body composition can prevent them from being the "accepted body type." However, that's more rare than people realize. 

A couple years ago I had a similar "come to Jesus" moment with my weight. I've never obese or close but I never adjusted my eating habits after college and working a lot of outside/physical jobs. One day I realized I'd gained 30+ pounds. Decided to change my diet similarly to how you did: fewer desserts. More activity. Didn't get back to college weight (I was a little under) but I was a lot healthier. 

10 hours ago, LMU said:

There's a tweet out there where he was arguing with someone and they called him out on his weight and he said something like "being fat is true freedom. I'm proud to be fat" 

I'm not a psychologist, but I think Frank Fleming has accepted his situation and in a coping mechanism has taken to embracing his terrible lifestyle. He keeps it up and he's not long for this world. How old is he? I hope the Barstool guys get him some help, but that really doesn't seem to be their thing. Ridicule and fratty antics seem to be their thing.

I'm with you on weight loss. It's not that hard. It's a math problem. Calories burned vs intake. I'm getting in shape for my wedding in November because men in my family suffer from a condition I call "Fat Face" and I'm trying to look good for pictures. All it's taken to drop 10-15 pounds depending on which scale I use is not eating fast food and at least walking. Usually I do a 3 mile stretch 6 days a week where I alternate every half mile between running and walking. Yesterday was the first time I felt "light" while jogging so it even gets easier the more you do it. That's all in the last month so I figure I'm about 2 more months away from my goal. 

1 person likes this

I'll push back on the idea that it's "easy."  Actually, me saying that is ironic given that I dropped from 210 to 155 in five months by recognizing my eating foibles and doing a decent job of correcting them.  I got back up to 170 (because what got me to 155, was, I guess, only 73% sustainable).  And it was not that hard for me.  Of course I had some blatant eating issues.  I would wow people at the gym; "look at the cardio this fat guy has."  That made it even easier; it was all about the food.  I get more exercise than most people.  All that said though, I'd still be better off at the 155 I was at as opposed to the 170 I've spent most of the last decade hovering around.  I know the things I do wrong and I know I put off making the changes that will get me to where I belong.  Yet I cannot quite get myself there.  OK, I guess I can.  I roughly know the math...but I would call it "hard."  But I do acknowledge that eliminating the really, really obvious glutinous behavior, once I became self-aware, was much easier than I thought it would be.

I suppose you could argue that losing that last 15 pounds is harder than losing the initial amount that could bring one from "obese" (which according to a chart I saw, I was at the lower edge of) to simply "overweight."  But psychologically, it's incredible.  As easy as getting down to a much better weight was for me; it was only easy once I got to that place.  What I mean by that is I was overweight from maybe age 12 to 28.  I first had to stop lying to myself about my "slow metabolism."  Then I had to say "OK, I'm not happy with this" and actually admit to myself that it was all my own doing.  It took me a long time to get there.  And I had the big advantage (at least I think it was an advantage) of already being among the most active 5% (of course, I am guessing) of Americans.  I guess that means I was among the most gluttonous, too.  

Anyway, it's easy to say that it's easy.  But there are so many facets to the issue, that it's far more nuanced than that.  For my part when people asked me what I "did" to lose the weight, I never told them exactly what I did (giving up soda, eating late night, etc.) because the specifics are my own.  What I told people was that you have to 1) decide you want to change, 2) explore what has caused you to be at an unhealthy weight and, most importantly, be honest with yourself, 3) dedicate yourself to actual permanent lifestyle change.  Not a "diet." And not even "I'm gonna lose weight" because if you do lose weight, it's not "mission accomplished."  It's "Awesome, now keep it up."  It's gotta be sustainable, which for some may mean eating the occasional ice cream bar or something.  That's why I think it's hard; and harder in the long-term.

Anyway, to the point that started this, I don't know enough about Barstool to know whether they have the resources to be helpful.  But it would be interesting.  I think most of us wish Tank nothing but the best.  And given my loose internet connection to him, if they actually decided to help him in a public way, I'd watch and I'd cheer for him.  And as much as I hope he's enjoying this (and making a few bucks), it would be great too see something truly good come out of this.  And despite all the dudebros in the audience, I think he'd get a great deal of online support; people would cheer him on.

17 hours ago, Coast2CoastAM2006 said:

@Mets I am not sure how you guys select who throws out the first pitch ... but @NjTank99 would fill the house !!

Embedded
3:34 PM · May 23, 2017

That laptop looks disgusting.  I believe it's an ancient HP, but you can see the hand-salsa and crusty slop-finger-dust all over the keyboard and speakers.  

20 hours ago, LMU said:

I can almost guarantee that Tank is where he's at because "it's the quickest solution" more than anything else.  Obese people don't get to be where they're at without some degree of simply being lazy.  Why spend an hour-plus cooking a healthy meal when you can toss something that's already prepared into the oven for 40 minutes (or into the microwave for 10-15 minutes if you're really hungry), or stop at a fast food place on the way home instead?  Why spend more money on fresh vegetables when, for the same amount of money, you can get a big bag of chips, a liter of soda, and a box of Twinkies?  Salt makes things better, sugar makes things taste better, and by god, baked skinless chicken breasts have nothing on that crispy goodness of a piece of fried chicken.  What, I had my vegetables....see that broccoli with cheese melted or those green beans with ham pieces cooked with bacon drippings or these sugary-glazed carrots?

In that dinner thread we used to have, Tank would regale us with his dinners of whatever frozen dish that would cook for 30+ minutes in the microwave, whatever he picked up on the way home, or his near-daily side item of Andy Capp's Hot Fries.  Lazy option, lazy option, lazy option.

You couldn't pay me enough to step foot in Tank's apartment (or wherever he lives) for an hour.  He lives like, well, a fat-assed slob.  I would be embarrassed showing off my living place if it looked half that bad.  All that's missing are stacks of old magazines and newspapers, and a couple cats or dogs eating who-knows-what off the floor.  For his sake, whatever celebrity value he gets out of this will motivate him to want to get his health in order.  He's on a path where he'll be dead in ten years and his heavy ass gets fork-lifted into a crate-turned-casket.