Ice_Cap    7,586

$500 seems fair for the articles he's written. 

He should be getting a substantial cut of the "Frankie Midnight" t-shirt sales though. If Tank's image has value then Tank should be the one to profit off of that.

leopard88    938
40 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's not fair if someone else is profiting at a disproportionate amount than he's being compensated for. 

If Barstool is making 10K off of his contributions, and more from merch, then they're taking advantage of him. 

Obv the numbers cant be that high, so it could be a fair sum, but he def needs to be getting points off of merch in perpetuity. 

15 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

$500 seems fair for the articles he's written. 

He should be getting a substantial cut of the "Frankie Midnight" t-shirt sales though. If Tank's image has value then Tank should be the one to profit off of that.

He certainly should be getting a cut of any revenue if that's the deal that was made.  However, assuming that isn't the deal, Tnak isn't the first person in some type of media position to make a bad deal . . . and he certainly won't be the last.

Hopefully, with regard to the money he is supposed to receive, he has something in writing to back it up.  It doesn't have to be anything more formal than a text or an e-mail written by Barstool Sports Guy.  That is enough to form a binding contract.

Even absent that, an oral agreement is still enforceable.  If it came to that, I can't picture a judge who wouldn't find Tnak's version credible.

HedleyLamarr    1,308
12 hours ago, chrysleraspen08 said:

That will change after 5 minutes here.

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 8.42.58 PM.png

I dunno, being 400 pounds and disliking Democrats isn't really dirt.

Tnak isn't a genuinely happy person, though.  Considering he's pondered suicide multiple times and his fame came from a televised rant.....there's a gulf of difference between being happy and being content.

OnWis97    2,185
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's not fair if someone else is profiting at a disproportionate amount than he's being compensated for. 

If Barstool is making 10K off of his contributions, and more from merch, then they're taking advantage of him. 

Obv the numbers cant be that high, so it could be a fair sum, but he def needs to be getting points off of merch in perpetuity. 

I tend to agree but I also tend to doubt they are selling a bunch of stuff with his likeness on merchandise.

I know there are people here who have much more insight into how much something like this could generate them in click-generated revenue so maybe $500 is a low-ball deal, but per hour, I suspect it's not that terrible and if Tank becomes important enough to them, he'll have a lot more leverage in the future...I don't see that happening.

I'd like to get $6000 per year for minimal effort spouting off my thoughts on sports.  Again, from a strictly "fairness to both sides" perspective, maybe it should be more...I don't know, but I doubt he's generating tons of revenue for Barstool.  What I really do hope is that he actually gets that $500 per month.  If he is never paid, that would be disappointing, even if he didn't properly cross his t's and dot his i's.  

leopard88    938
1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I'd like to get $6000 per year for minimal effort spouting off my thoughts on sports.  Again, from a strictly "fairness to both sides" perspective, maybe it should be more...I don't know, but I doubt he's generating tons of revenue for Barstool.  What I really do hope is that he actually gets that $500 per month.  If he is never paid, that would be disappointing, even if he didn't properly cross his t's and dot his i's.  

I'll second that.

DDR    952

The hard truth for freelancers and content creators is that if you price yourself fairly, you run the risk of getting shut out completely. Putting aside any jokes about the quality of Tank's writing/content, if a platform says "I'll pay you $500 a month" to do whatever and Tank says "I'm worth more than that. Give me $1,000." there's a great chance of Barstool walking away. Because I have to believe they see Frank as the ironic mascot du jour, and not as part of a longterm content strategy.

OnWis97    2,185
1 hour ago, DDR said:

The hard truth for freelancers and content creators is that if you price yourself fairly, you run the risk of getting shut out completely. Putting aside any jokes about the quality of Tank's writing/content, if a platform says "I'll pay you $500 a month" to do whatever and Tank says "I'm worth more than that. Give me $1,000." there's a great chance of Barstool walking away. Because I have to believe they see Frank as the ironic mascot du jour, and not as part of a longterm content strategy.

Probably true.  And they (and Tank himself) also know that this was almost certainly going to be his only opportunity to cash in.  I don't blame him for taking it.  Setting aside the possibility of them screwing him, the worst case scenario is that he gets his day in the sun and an income supplement before 1) deciding it's not worth the effort or 2) Barstool deciding it's not worth the money.  The best case would be that he gains the traction to be able to ask for more.

infrared41    3,659
5 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I dunno, being 400 pounds and disliking Democrats isn't really dirt.

Tnak isn't a genuinely happy person, though.  Considering he's pondered suicide multiple times and his fame came from a televised rant.....there's a gulf of difference between being happy and being content.

The suicide threats he posted here could be considered "dirt." My guess is if the Bartsool crowd got wind of Tank's suicide threats and "everyone hates me" meltdowns he posted here, their reaction wouldn't be very kind. 

HedleyLamarr    1,308
2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

The suicide threats he posted here could be considered "dirt." My guess is if the Bartsool crowd got wind of Tank's suicide threats and "everyone hates me" meltdowns he posted here, their reaction wouldn't be very kind. 

Mental instability isn't really dirt, though.  (I would think it's kind of assumed that there's something off with him, just on sheer appearance and how he conducts himself.)

Again, he got his fame from a live meltdown about the trains not working.  He brags about that "Frankie Midnight" irregular sleeping habits.  He's grossly overweight.  He looks and lives like a slob.  How shocking would it really be to Barstool contributors/fans that he's got some mental issues?

infrared41    3,659
15 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Mental instability isn't really dirt, though.  (I would think it's kind of assumed that there's something off with him, just on sheer appearance and how he conducts himself.)

Again, he got his fame from a live meltdown about the trains not working.  He brags about that "Frankie Midnight" irregular sleeping habits.  He's grossly overweight.  He looks and lives like a slob.  How shocking would it really be to Barstool contributors/fans that he's got some mental issues?

I said it "could be considered dirt." Anyway...my point was simply that the Barstool crowd probably wouldn't be very kind to Tank if they were aware of some of his behavior on these here boards. 

lopernv    300
2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I said it "could be considered dirt." Anyway...my point was simply that the Barstool crowd probably wouldn't be very kind to Tank if they were aware of some of his behavior on these here boards. 

Really? I think the opposite would be true (if "crowd" means readership, not his employers).

pmoehrin    445

$500 a month may not sound like much, but it would put Tank in the top .1 percentile of people who write about sports on the internet.

If that sounds depressing its because it is, but I also know of staff writers at publications far bigger than Barstool who need to work second jobs to pay the bills. And these are people who have been on TV in some cases, not run of the mill guys who are just starting out. But that's the world of sports writing now. Even "making it" doesn't guarantee long term financial success or stability.

For what Tank is doing, I think Barstool is perfect. I would not recommend going there for someone just starting out or someone looking to work at serious publications down the road. Barstool may be over with the "common man" but the "uncommon man" thinks the site is an absolute joke and they make up 90-95% of the people running sports media. If you take a job at Barstool you can most likely kiss any potential job at the NFL goodbye. Speaking for myself if you ever see me writing for them, that's when you'll know I've completely given up.

As far as merchandise goes, I'm sure the money isn't anything life changing, but if Tank feels like he's being screwed over or deserves a piece of that pie, I would recommend hiring a literary agent, or at least consult with one. They may not be of much help but they could probably point you in the right direction if nothing else. Do you know what a fair percentage is of sales for him to take him? 5%? 10%? 20%? 0%? I don't have a clue nor would I trust myself to negotiate a fair deal on my behalf.

The only thing I told Tank was to get as much money out of this as he can and he seems to be doing a good job of it. People here can think what they want, but I'm happy for him.

For people the who think he doesn't "deserve it" here's what I have to say. My experience from sports journalism has been your actual writing ability only accounts for maybe 20% of your success. As noble as it sounds, you don't want 100% because 100% is going to probably going to give you an autistic man with severe anxiety who lives in a baseman and never leaves the house. You really want someone with zero social skills hosting MLB Tonight?

Exposure and your ability to market yourself is what determines the other 80% of your success and you only have so much say over things like that. You can do what you can to move the needle, but nobody gets to the top by themselves. Somebody higher up on the mountain has to help pull you up at some point in order to climb further and most times there isn't a lot of rhyme or reason to who gets pulled up and who doesn't. Being in the right place at the right time is everything.

You can't think of it in terms of "fair" and "unfair" because life in general is inherently unfair. What I like about sports the most is that its one of the few things in life where skill is about the only thing that matters. I'm just happy I had some association with a figure in the sports writing world before he found success. That's as deep as I look at it. People can analyze or break it down anyway they feel like. I myself just don't see the point.

BringBackTheVet    4,171

I guess one way for him to gauge his value would be to simply quit and see if they start negotiating.  If they feel he was making them money, then he'll have the opportunity to sign a "fair" deal.  If not, then he lost whatever time he put into it but isn't wasting any more effort.

HedleyLamarr    1,308
4 hours ago, infrared41 said:

The guy gnaws on his shirt, for crying out loud.  For a guy that does just anything for online folks to jump on, that seems to be encouraged by the Barstool fans.

infrared41    3,659
30 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

The guy gnaws on his shirt, for crying out loud.  For a guy that does just anything for online folks to jump on, that seems to be encouraged by the Barstool fans.

Right. Imagine what they'd do if they found out Tank threatened to commit suicide over here - on multiple occasions.

I didn't do a very good job of making my original point. Simply stated, I think the Barstool crowd would have a field day with things like Tank's "suicide watches", his "everyone hates me" meltdowns, etc. He'd become a bigger (no pun intended) punchline than he already is. That's all I was trying to say. 

infrared41    3,659
2 hours ago, lopernv said:

Really? I think the opposite would be true (if "crowd" means readership, not his employers).

So you think the Barstool readership's response would be friendly and supportive if they knew about Tank's multiple suicide threats and "everyone hates me" meltdowns? This place is much more "civilized" than the Barstool crowd and we were making jokes and piling on when a "Tank suicide watch" started. 

DeFrank    155

I stay far away from Barstool's entire apparatus save for the notable exception of Pardon My Take. I'm pretty sure they've mentioned Tank a couple of times. 

PMT's uniform related comments are great. Running jokes include saying that any team with bright or unusual colors have "candy-ass uniforms" and this explains why they'll never win a championship (i.e. Dolphins).

lopernv    300
21 hours ago, infrared41 said:

So you think the Barstool readership's response would be friendly and supportive if they knew about Tank's multiple suicide threats and "everyone hates me" meltdowns? This place is much more "civilized" than the Barstool crowd and we were making jokes and piling on when a "Tank suicide watch" started. 

No... I did not and do not pay enough attention to play CCSLC crisis hotline. I was more insinuating the political ranting/raving than anything else, from cursory viewing the fanbase has a lean and style that would welcome the absurdity of it compared to what he would get here. So, yes, they would probably be more "kind" in that sense than the response he got here. It was an offhand comment... didn't know I would get cherry-picked from the whole kit and caboodle of his how-ever-many posts, but I guess that's what I'm doing too.

If this is intended to be some sort of comparison, I find it ridiculous that it could even be insinuated that the general sentiment here, on these boards - i.e. no private PMs, no single quotations of support - towards Tank and his newfound fame is any iota of "kind, friendly, supportive," and all the other synonyms. The ones who do are outliers. You could jump to any page here, scroll a few posts down and find an insult or two. Not like it was any different outside of this thread when he was still here, it just wasn't so public.

In fact, I don't think it's crazy to think that if the Barstool readership knew about the kind of responses we gave him, and especially if they saw this thread, they would think we are the one's who are offside.

This is just my general gripe with this entire thread. It's like an ex the board can't get over: talking to his circle of friends how bad she was in bed, how crazy and psychotic she was, how she had really strange quirks. If the boards were a person they could use a restraining order.

infrared41    3,659
1 hour ago, lopernv said:

No... I did not and do not pay enough attention to play CCSLC crisis hotline. I was more insinuating the political ranting/raving than anything else, from cursory viewing the fanbase has a lean and style that would welcome the absurdity of it compared to what he would get here. So, yes, they would probably be more "kind" in that sense than the response he got here. It was an offhand comment... didn't know I would get cherry-picked from the whole kit and caboodle of his how-ever-many posts, but I guess that's what I'm doing too.

If this is intended to be some sort of comparison, I find it ridiculous that it could even be insinuated that the general sentiment here, on these boards - i.e. no private PMs, no single quotations of support - towards Tank and his newfound fame is any iota of "kind, friendly, supportive," and all the other synonyms. The ones who do are outliers. You could jump to any page here, scroll a few posts down and find an insult or two. Not like it was any different outside of this thread when he was still here, it just wasn't so public.

In fact, I don't think it's crazy to think that if the Barstool readership knew about the kind of responses we gave him, and especially if they saw this thread, they would think we were the the one's who are offside.

This is just my general gripe with this entire thread. It's like an ex the board can't get over: talking to his circle of friends how bad she was in bed, how crazy and psychotic she was, how she had really strange quirks. If the boards were a person they could use a restraining order.

At this point, I wish I'd never even brought it up. Anyway, I think you're really overthinking this whole thing. My point was simply that if Barstool people were aware of Tank's history over here, they would make fun of it. If that is "restraining order" territory then I guess I'm guilty as charged. 

lopernv    300
23 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

At this point, I wish I'd never even brought it up. Anyway, I think you're really overthinking this whole thing. My point was simply that if Barstool people were aware of Tank's history over here, they would make fun of it. If that is "restraining order" territory then I guess I'm guilty as charged. 

Yes, as do I. That comment specifically, and really most of that post, was not directed towards you. General gripes/venting, that was just the trigger.