Sign in to follow this  
Kaz

"We" vs "They"

I feel like there's a large overlap in a venn diagram between people who feel that you shouldn't root for colleges you never attended and people who flip out whenever someone refers to their favorite team as "we".

Never mind.

Edited by smzimbabwe
Didn't want to name names, or give enough hints that the player's name could be figured out.

1 hour ago, Kaz said:

I feel like there's a large overlap in a venn diagram between people who feel that you shouldn't root for colleges you never attended and people who flip out whenever someone refers to their favorite team as "we".

I root for an American college because of sports, FSU.  Period.

I think the 'we' is fine if you own it 100%

Not like 'Are we still winning?   :censored:, they gave up 3 runs?!?'  :wow: well, -they- were winning until -you- gave up the 3 runs.

1 hour ago, Kaz said:

I have no qualms with someone who roots for a college they have no personal association with but using "we" to refer to your favorite sports team is a huge pet peeve of mine. It's always gotten on my nerves.

25 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

I have no qualms with someone who roots for a college they have no personal association with but using "we" to refer to your favorite sports team is a huge pet peeve of mine. It's always gotten on my nerves.

The only 'we' that would come close for me would be the Maple Leafs, which I've been watching & following since I can remember.  B&W extra tv in my room as a kid on Sat nights hardcore.  

The team's dna is a part of mine... wins, losses, Ballard, Matthews, Clark, Gilmour, Toskala, the entire f'n show.

Though I still hesitate to use the term 'we' unless it's referring to Toronto as a whole - like why can't we have nice sports things.

13 hours ago, 2001mark said:

I root for an American college because of sports, FSU.  Period.

I think the 'we' is fine if you own it 100%

Not like 'Are we still winning?   :censored:, they gave up 3 runs?!?'  :wow: well, -they- were winning until -you- gave up the 3 runs.

Thinking about it, i can agree with this.

Pick one and stick with it, good or bad.

15 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

Yes it is a bit weird saying "we" for any team that you don't have an association with. If you went to, or work for, the college then sure say we. Or if you work for a pro team, yes, say we. Otherwise "they" is the way to go I think. 

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Yes it is a bit weird saying "we" for any team that you don't have an association with. If you went to, or work for, the college then sure say we. Or if you work for a pro team, yes, say we. Otherwise "they" is the way to go I think. 

I would agree with this. Those situations would be the only acceptable times to use   "We". Any other time it just sounds weird, like, " Yes, We picked up Adrian Peterson in free agency!" No, you didn't, the team you are a fan of, you did not have any part in that acquisition in any way. I know it's really not that big of a deal, but it really grinds my gears.

"They" sounds a bit too detached and impersonal for a team that you've invested your time, money and emotions into for at least a significant portion of your life. And "the team I root for" is a mouthful. "We" is a totally acceptable shorthand, IMO.

I'm 100% down with "we" if it's your primary team. For pro sports I feel like identifying with the city is just as, if not more, important than the sports franchise itself. So not only did the team get the big free agent, but the city got him, and therefore you did too.

When the Cavs win no one has a problem saying "Cleveland won." Well if you consider yourself part of Cleveland, you get to be a "we." Like I wouldn't be like "THEY WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP" I'd absolutely go "we." Thought I'd probably say "I can't believe they did it" rather than take literal credit. IDK, overall it just doesn't bother me. People let their emotions be swayed wildly by a game they have no control over. By committing your emotions and happiness to the outcome, good or bad, you have taken part in some way. 

As I always feel when someone tries to downplay a sports fans happiness, if they get to feel the pain they get to feel the joy.

41 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

"They" sounds a bit too detached and impersonal for a team that you've invested your time, money and emotions into for at least a significant portion of your life. And "the team I root for" is a mouthful. "We" is a totally acceptable shorthand, IMO.

People don't use "we" when they talk about their favorite band ("We have the three Platinum albums in a row") or their favorite TV show ("We really knocked it out of the park with that episode"), and those are things people invest their time/money/emotions in.  It is strange that "we" is so acceptable (or unacceptable) when it comes to sports teams.

14 minutes ago, Hat Boy said:

People don't use "we" when they talk about their favorite band ("We have the three Platinum albums in a row") or their favorite TV show ("We really knocked it out of the park with that episode"), and those are things people invest their time/money/emotions in.  It is strange that "we" is so acceptable (or unacceptable) when it comes to sports teams.

Ya know, this is a really good point. I never thought about that before. Although I admit I am guilty of using "we" when I talk about my teams as well. It's just one of those things, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You have to be really arrogant to have a problem with someone using "we" about a sports team.

I can't imagine an average Joe having a problem with it.

1 hour ago, Ark said:

You have to be really arrogant to have a problem with someone using "we" about a sports team.

I don't really have a problem with it. It's just when I really think about it it is weird. I wouldn't correct someone though.

1 hour ago, Ark said:

I think someone using "We" to refer to their favorite team is silly, but someone who actually goes out of their way to chastise them for it is infinitely worse.

8 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

I would agree with this. Those situations would be the only acceptable times to use   "We". Any other time it just sounds weird, like, " Yes, We picked up Adrian Peterson in free agency!" No, you didn't, the team you are a fan of, you did not have any part in that acquisition in any way. I know it's really not that big of a deal, but it really grinds my gears.

The third string QB didn't have anything to do with that acquisition either, but he can say "we"..

7 hours ago, Hat Boy said:

Most people aren't a fan of a band so much as they are a fan of the band's music, and a show is a singular entity itself that is generally fictitious.. They also don't compete directly against other bands/shows the way teams do.. I definitely see your point, but I also see some pretty distinct differences in the situations as well 

Personally, I usually use 'we' if I'm talking to another fan of the team. But on here, if I have used 'we' instead of 'they', it was a slip up.

17 hours ago, Hat Boy said:

But sports are different than a favorite band or TV show. When was the last time you went to a parade to celebrate your favorite band releasing a good album?